Thoughts on Emby.

godbodian

godbodian

At first, I didn't like it but it grew on me.
Personally, if you guys are going to go with a whimsical, abstract-ish approach I think the logo should be something along the lines of a stylized hand sign for "hanging tough". A.) It's an old surfer sign that many people old and young know it as such. B.) It's represents surfing and which could easily be mentally linked with surfing the internet or various technologies, which in itself are other terms and phrasing for browsing, ie; MEDIA browsing. Lastly, C.) The letters E, M, B and Y are symbolically represented in the placement of the digits when the hand makes the sign.

Eh, I could be off base but you never know... what you guys think?

(I didn't draw that image. It's late and I just found and put up a stock image to get the general point across.)

post-300-0-51562000-1426744759_thumb.jpg

Edited by godbodian

techywarrior

I personally have a bad association with that as a logo.

I had to build a website for these two douchy guys and they kept changing the design. My boss wanted to utilize some forum software and then I had to create an SSO between that and some other shitty software. The whole thing was a mess (I told them from the start not to do it this way)... anyways, the concept was "do the split" (hang ten gesture) and the whole website was supposed to be people posting pictures/selfies at parties, with celebs, etc. "doing the split". OMG it was soooo stupid... and then they ran off without paying for half the work.

Oh, and that logo was exactly what you posted except in white. I may even have a t-shirt of it still someplace. ROFL

• Like 3

godbodian

Sorry to hear (because EVERYONE deserves to be compensated and respected accordingly) but no bad vibes here. Just thoughts of TMNT, NKOTB, California, Excellent Nuggets, JetLIfe rap music and sun days via the late 80's and early 90's.

I could pass you the bong and a pair of neon colored shades, if you like. LOL.

Edited by godbodian

MSattler

Sorry to hear (because EVERYONE deserves to be compensated and respected accordingly) but no bad vibes here. Just thoughts of TMNT, NKOTB, California, Excellent Nuggets, JetLIfe rap music and sun days via the late 80's and early 90's.

I could pass you the bong and a pair of neon colored shades, if you like. LOL.

Also very prominent in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, most likely tied to Brazilian's love of surfing.

• Like 1

Chris Jones

Maybe it's just me but it feels bad that Media Browser and XBMC have changed names to something less professional/serious (Emby/Kodi). I understand the need to for the change but it feels like the wrong direction in both cases.

It won't stop me using the software but i wonder whether there will be any difference to newcomers (or people searching for media software). Positive and negative depending on the type of person, whether they'll associate with the name or be put off. Maybe it doesn't matter at all though.

• Like 1

MSattler

Maybe it's just me but it feels bad that Media Browser and XBMC have changed names to something less professional/serious (Emby/Kodi). I understand the need to for the change but it feels like the wrong direction in both cases.

It won't stop me using the software but i wonder whether there will be any difference to newcomers (or people searching for media software). Positive and negative depending on the type of person, whether they'll associate with the name or be put off. Maybe it doesn't matter at all though.

I'm not sure XBMC was ever professional sounding when the name was based on Xbox =)  The new flashy names most likely will end up making it easier to get some startup capital invested, and do all the things we want them to do.

Thanks,

Marcus

jhevener

I'll still continue to support MB as Emby but it reminds me of Gumby. Man I'm dating myself but I despised that TV show. ^_^

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

The names seem to be designed for the App Craze trends of the last few years and to compete with Plex. I think both Kodi and Emby obfuscate what the programs do. However the success only depends on the marketing campaigns behind them. In the marketing arena, Plex is in the lead and a juggernaut of the space. We will have to wait and see if the Emby can join it on the marketing front.

spootdev

@@Koleckai Silvestri wins the award for using a word that most forum members won't know the meaning of =)

I think others are using Emby more.  :P

Don't really agree with the name change at all to be honest.  Seems like change for the sake of change with no real benefits.  Much like Syfy.  Oh well, their product and they can do what they wish with it.

AdrianW

Maybe it's just me but it feels bad that Media Browser and XBMC have changed names to something less professional/serious (Emby/Kodi). 

XBMC was a terrible name - I was always under the impression that it was an app specifically for use on an XBox.

And as the devs have pointed out - the name Media Browser doesn't indicate what the product does any more - browsing media is only a small part.

techywarrior

I think others are using Emby more. :P

Don't really agree with the name change at all to be honest. Seems like change for the sake of change with no real benefits. Much like Syfy. Oh well, their product and they can do what they wish with it.

There are often good reasons for name changes. Ebr tried to explain some of it in the blog post.

Xbmc changed their name because of the association to Xbox. The name no longer is really indicative of what the software is anymore and some people still think of it as for the Xbox, or related to it. These name changes really aren't for current users (they already know the product) it's for new people who don't or have not tried the new versions because of bad associations with the old name(s).

Btw, SyFy changed their name because they lost a decision trying to trademark sci-fi. Without a trademark on their name other companies could use it in marketing and make people believe the channel was affiliated with a show/product etc.

... and Emby obfuscate what the programs do. 

As I pointed out in the blog post, that is actually one of our main goals.  It is impossible to come up with a name (meeting all other criteria) that accurately describes exactly what our entire ecosystem is.  Therefore, if you try to, you will undoubtedly mean the wrong thing to some set of people (like, say having the word "Browser" in the name...).

So, by choosing a name that means absolutely nothing on its own, you escape any preconceptions of what you are and, in turn, actually have the ability to define what the word means via the product.  Case in point - Google, Skype, etc.

CBers

I'm beginning to say the new name as E M B Y instead of EMBY as it reminds me of XBMC.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough :)

Edited by CBers

Koleckai Silvestri

As long as EMBY Music or EMBY Press don't come knocking on the doors, why not? 

There is an Emby Jewelry LLC as well. Their point of contact is a trademark lawyer.

Latchmor

I'm beginning to say the new name as E M B Y instead of EMBY as it reminds me of XBMC.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough :)

"it's fun to view files with E.M.B.Y, do do do do do..."

#YMCA

:ph34r:

• Like 1

techywarrior

So it is decided then. great job team!

You should check one of those 435 notifications you have on your server :P

It was posted on the blog a couple days ago.

• Like 1

non-entity

I actually love it. Quickly threw together this logo of what I immediately thought of having heard the new name.

550bcc3a784f2_logomock.jpg

Edited by non-entity
  • Like 3

politby

^ that would be a great logo for an electric fire. [emoji1]

Well maybe it's just me, this name change is not making any sense to me at all. Yet another artificial meaningless name that tells absolutely nothing about the product.

It's going to look just great having "Emby" in the WMC main menu. Maybe I can use Media Center Themer to change it to Microsoft "Bob" [emoji16]

Edited by politby

godbodian

Not for nothing and definitely NOT to be rude in anyway but why are devs so commited to EMBY? I get that it's a phonetic spelling of "MB" which is MediaBrowser but with all the conversations, I'm back to feeling like why?

I swear I understand the need for the change but I do this branding stuff full time and well Plex makes sense, it's short for Multiplex. Kodi sucks and sounds like someone's lost dog which further allows Plex to run away with the gold but here's my unbiased opinion. Do the devs see MediaBrowser from the perspective of their target audience? If you go public and bring new people in, these people may or may not be technical or even care about the other parts of the ecosystem. Most just want something to work and look good, PERIOD, as they are superficial and don't think further than what's directly in front of them. Personally, the selling point I've used in converting my friends is THIS; As the video/movie/media viewing aspects are key to most average and inexperienced users, I think that MB's edge is that there is no experience out there where an average person feels that they can realistically contribute to the design and overall functionality. Yes, every whose-a-whats-it has a "community" but do they REALLY listen? In addition to having all the same features, if not better, with little to NO restrictions?

Sales 101: Everyone has steak and to a greater point everyone is selling beef... what's the difference? Nothing but the "sizzle". Cliché, yes but also true. Kobe beef is different true enough but it's the FANFAIR and the "raving" by those "whom should know" that give it, it's true appeal. My point is the DEVS here and the community you've fostered is the SIZZLE of EMBY/MediaBrowser. If you don't incorporate THAT into your branding your missing at least 50% of the BILLION dollar idea in my opinion.

Emby is catchy, true enough but it's missing something (in my humble opinion). Personally, if the Devs were looking for four letter words that are catchy and represent the ENTIRE ecosystem, I would have thought of something like OMNI. Yeah one could argue it's pretentious but another could argue if you got it, flaunt it. 

(Oh and a side note, I'm pretty sure the word and brand "GOOGLE" came about as a transliteration of the compounding of two words that expressly mean and represent what Google is. "Go" and "Ogle", "Go" meaning to move forward or commit an action (didn't Netscape [arguably the first modern internet browser] have a "GO" button?) and "Ogle" meaning to stare but more commonly a verb meaning to look at with "intent". Which in of itself isn't a far stretch from SEARCH. Thus GOOGLE, and well from there the correct pronunciation took over.)

Edited by godbodian