Thoughts on Emby.

godbodian

godbodian

I actually love it. Quickly threw together this logo of what I immediately thought of having heard the new name.

550bcc3a784f2_logomock.jpg

I like your logo but why fire? What does that have to do with what we know EMBY to actually be? (Just curious...)

Maleficarum

I like your logo but why fire? What does that have to do with what we know EMBY to actually be? (Just curious...)

I'm guessing it's working on the principle of ember, which is pretty much the first thing that came to mind when i first saw the name.

godbodian

I'm guessing it's working on the principle of ember, which is pretty much the first thing that came to mind when i first saw the name.

Ohhhhhhhhh. See I never even look at it like that. EMBY/Ember... LOL. Good explanation. See I was one of those that as sound as I seen the name I started thinking about kids shows and Gumby characters, which was why initially, I didn't like it.

After that I forced myself to just see it as random letters, to get that out of my head and so I could see it objectively.

aspdend

Fortunately I have no knowledge of Gumby - so I can see it as Emby (MB) - so I have no issues with the name as such. I can see the need to change the name and represent the platform going forwards, especially as Mediabrowser 3 is a bit of a relic of a title. Short, snappy and modern - I like it. I know the likes of Shaeffur and those talented artists in the community will have some great ideas for the branding, logos etc.

The devs will never have been able to satisfy everyone with the name, but I think we should get used to it and hopefully the adoption of Emby will see the long awaited update to MBT (EmbyT? Emby Theatre?) that will mean we can get some additional functionality and themes for a high WAF and ditch WMC at long last!

• Like 2

Chris Jones

Although that logo does look good, it doesn't make sense . That's a problem with names that don't really mean anything. I think that if the name Emby is staying then the logo needs to incorporate something related to media so it at least ties in that way. I'm just a programmer, not a designer so i don't really have actual ideas, sorry.  :)

non-entity

My problem with the MediaBrowser name was the generality of it. In a practical application this became a problem when trying to google issues I was having, as my results were filled with other completely non-relevent "media browsers". Just out of personal taste too, I've always found MediaBrowser to be unnatractive and uninspiring. So whether the new name was Emby or something else, I think a change was needed.

As for Emby it just works for me. It's short, sweet, catchy, and respectful of it's origins (even if new users would not appreciate the later). As for the fire theme of the design, the name instantly reminded me of the word "Ember". Without getting 'too' pretentious, a couple of reasons I thought this may be fitting are the following:

• Works into the whole phoenix from the ashes with the name change.
  • The base of embers which are this dedicated community, lights the fire which is Emby (MediaBrowser) and then spread to every platform, bringing Emby with them. Without them this fire would not last, or have gotten as big as it has.
  • It has a connotation of energy and movement, but also progress.

I agree that the logo isn't perfect though and the combination of something fittingly tech/media related could greatly ehance it but I have literally spent 5mins on it.

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

(Oh and a side note, I'm pretty sure the word and brand "GOOGLE" came about as a transliteration of the compounding of two words that expressly mean and represent what Google is. "Go" and "Ogle", "Go" meaning to move forward or commit an action (didn't Netscape [arguably the first modern internet browser] have a "GO" button?) and "Ogle" meaning to stare but more commonly a verb meaning to look at with "intent". Which in of itself isn't a far stretch from SEARCH. Thus GOOGLE, and well from there the correct pronunciation took over.)

Actually, google came from googol... https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=where+does+the+google+name+come+from&meta=&gws_rd=ssl

• Like 1

KarterJK

I'll still continue to support MB as Emby but it reminds me of Gumby. Man I'm dating myself but I despised that TV show. ^_^

LOL that was my exact same feeling, I am not fond of Emby, either.  No offense it just sounds, so 2000

Maleficarum

Here is what it reminds me of:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chumby

A Chumby client, anyone? Emby for Chumby [emoji3]

Wow I haven't seen one of those in forever. I remember wanting one of those when they came out, for no particular reason other than they looked kinda cool.

Overseer

How about instead of "emby" or "Emby" it's "eMBy" with the MB in caps. New name with a link to the past?

• Like 2

Chris Jones

I was thinking of something like that too but that would just keep raising the same question from every newcomer of why it is like that?

jhevener

How about instead of "emby" or "Emby" it's "eMBy" with the MB in caps. New name with a link to the past?

This is a great idea. I can picture a logo with this layout that might be made to look like a home theater with the MB part being the Reciever/HTPC combo and the e and the y being the speakers. Nice way to balance out the name.

Edited by jhevener

chef

that looks to me like a tv that's about to fall over and break

I know... I like some of the other more.

Like the film strip dragon spitting fire!

• Like 1

aspdend

I like the one with the three different coloured film strips in a sphere arrangement, but I think it is lacking the fact that it isn't just about movies/filmstrips...

I actually love it. Quickly threw together this logo of what I immediately thought of having heard the new name.

550bcc3a784f2_logomock.jpg

This is actually very nice and I like how you made it work with different background colors. Just for the sake of evaluating as much as possible, I'd be interested to see if you have any other alternative ideas.

techywarrior

Why have people forgotten how to use capital letters?  :P

it's not just capital letters. Apparently vowels, and in some cases words are forgotten as well.

How can a text with 5 emojis equal a sentence?

• Like 2

techywarrior

:mellow:  :huh:  ^_^  :o  :ph34r:

<cake> <princess> <ninja> <turkey leg>

I hope that offends some tweener :P

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 1