Lagging subtitles + Ubuntu process issues

Poptartica

Poptartica

Hello all! Posting to see if any have had similar issues and know how to solve them:

The first issue I have had is that the display of subtitles always lags behind (about 3 seconds at times) to the point where entire sections will be skipped. To give a little background..

The device(s) playing the files are always Web browsers (mainly Chrome).

Almost all of this media is in the form of MKV files with the subtitles embedded/attached as ASS format.

The Mediabrowser server is an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS system, with the Mediabrowser version being 3.0.5518.7 (have tried with fresh install a few times and I still get these issues).

I've played these same files using other media delivery platforms (Plex etc.) and the subtitles showed up just fine and with the correct timing, so I am positive that the files themselves are not corrupt/incomplete/incorrect (or, rather, that there must be a way to read them in the way I'm trying to).

Attached are the logs that were generated by starting up the server and then playing part of one of the files in question, where the subtitles were significantly lagged behind the video and skipping sections..

The second issue I am getting, is that I seem to be running into some issues with the process itself hanging, crashing, etc. in Ubuntu. The Web UI will work perfectly fine for as long as I personally keep the server up, however, after about a day or so of the server running fine [except for the subtitles thing noted above], it will only return black screens in playback and upon attempts at playback will eventually freeze up in whatever browser is playing files, requiring a server restart (and sometimes even two, where the server becomes unresponsive after the first few seconds and requires another restart before it will function "normally" again).

Situations where a second server restart is required often involve me getting something like "Removing stale /var/run/mediabrowser.pid

* MediaBrowserServer: not running" in the terminal, even though that second restart actually will get the server going again. These restarts are all done under the sudo service mediabrowser restart command.

I'll keep an eye out for some logs that are created around when that specific issue occurs, but until then I was curious if anyone was having what sounded like similar issues that they were able to solve.
For the record, I also tried grabbing my own install of ffmpeg, linking it, and seeing if that helped. While the link functioned fine that didn't seem to solve these particular issues (subtitles and process hanging).

logs.zip

grimy55

It sounds like the second issue could be related to the one I've described here (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18908-medias-are-not-playing-and-sigsegv-error/?p=184487). Since, I've noticed the only medias that won't play are video files. Audio files are still playing good. Could you check if that stands for you?

I'm playing mediabrowser through Chrome, Android client, and chromecast. never had any issue with the subtitles.

Poptartica

It sounds like the second issue could be related to the one I've described here (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18908-medias-are-not-playing-and-sigsegv-error/?p=184487). Since, I've noticed the only medias that won't play are video files. Audio files are still playing good. Could you check if that stands for you?

I'm playing mediabrowser through Chrome, Android client, and chromecast. never had any issue with the subtitles.

Grimy,

I'll have to catch it when it's started hanging again. I'll keep an eye out. I've added a music file for when this happens so I can test :)

As for the subtitles issue.. I should better explain (since I did so poorly earlier) so anyone else who might be having my problem can better identify:

Subtitles will load fine, show up mostly at the right time, but certain sections of the subtitles will be completely omitted. That is indeed going on in the log attached to the first post, btw. I can also easily get another log of that same thing occurring every time if that would be helpful. I have tried to get the subtitles to work correctly with both the ffmpeg included with Mediabrowser and also with a link to the newest ffmpeg (2.6). They both give the same result.

Poptartica

Well, I've been trying to get a log of this, but now my process is becoming unreachable or crashing and requiring a restart just to function (I'm not sure..) after being open all day without as much as a peep in the log :/ at least so it seems... attached is the log for that one...

server-63561933895.txt

Poptartica

Okay, well I moved over to the docker version of Mediabrowser. It fixed my subtitle problem entirely for anyone else wondering. now I'm still getting some issues with my server staying up, but that's a different beast entirely...

It's crashing and doesn't work even when it restarts itself afterwords (I gotta restart it again myself in these cases..). Giving me errors like this:

--> start.sh script running...
---> Starting circus...
2015-03-16 01:36:01 circus[1] [iNFO] Starting master on pid 1
2015-03-16 01:36:01 circus[1] [iNFO] Arbiter now waiting for commands
2015-03-16 01:36:01 circus[1] [iNFO] MediaBrowser started
Stacktrace:

Stacktrace:

Native stacktrace:

mono() [0x4b73d8]
mono() [0x50f13b]
mono() [0x423d22]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10340) [0x7f7781d23340]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries 
used by your application.
=================================================================

2015-03-16 04:00:15 circus[1] [iNFO] Got signal SIG_TERM
2015-03-16 04:00:15 circus[1] [iNFO] Arbiter exiting
2015-03-16 04:00:16 circus[1] [iNFO] MediaBrowser stopped
--> start.sh script running...
Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/circus.d/MediaBrowser.ini.tpl'
---> Starting circus...
2015-03-16 04:00:23 circus[1] [iNFO] Starting master on pid 1
2015-03-16 04:00:23 circus[1] [iNFO] Arbiter now waiting for commands
2015-03-16 04:00:23 circus[1] [iNFO] MediaBrowser started
Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) object.__icall_wrapper_mono_gc_alloc_string (intptr,intptr,int) <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper alloc) object.AllocString (intptr,int) <0xffffffff>
  at string.SubstringUnchecked (int,int) <0x0003f>
  at string.SplitByCharacters (char[],int,bool) <0x0044f>
  at string.Split (char[],int,System.StringSplitOptions) <0x000d3>
  at string.Split (char[]) <0x00023>
  at System.Net.IPAddress.ParseIPV4 (string) <0x001ff>
  at System.Net.IPAddress.TryParse (string,System.Net.IPAddress&) <0x00023>
  at System.Net.IPAddress.Parse (string) <0x0001f>
  at Mono.Nat.NatUtility.Receive (Mono.Nat.ISearcher,System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient>) <0x0004b>
  at Mono.Nat.NatUtility.SearchAndListen () <0x000a7>
  at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () <0x00071>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0xffffffff>

Native stacktrace:

mono() [0x4b73d8]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10340) [0x7f0a6d6d2340]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x39) [0x7f0a6d333cc9]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x148) [0x7f0a6d3370d8]
mono() [0x638575]
mono() [0x638612]
mono() [0x5dfb8b]
mono() [0x5e0f4a]
mono() [0x5fb1c4]
mono() [0x5fc05c]
mono() [0x5e19b4]