Kinect install on MB Classic

Sickboy

Quick voice training tut.

I wanted to hard code voice training into the application. I have literally spent a year trying to figure it out. I finally got into a chat one day with a M$ MVP, he told me that it wasn't possible. I had tried a lot of ways to make this easier, but there is no way to even open the speech training window.

Open: Control Panel > Ease of access > Speech recognition

In the upper left hand corner choose: Advanced Speech Options

If you are logged into mbkinect the. Your speech profile will ready be choosen.

Press the button: Train Profile

Go and sit in a place you will be commanding the kinect app (a couch, chair...)

Follow the training exercise.

The more you train the better the kinect app will respond.

Each person in your home needs to team their profile.

I am trying to fix this so only one training is nessessary.

Each time you train, try moving further back from the kinect for each session.

Note: using the Microsoft.speech namespace in the kinect app would not need training, however with the speech namespace I am currently using we will be able to open doors, otherwise closed by their speech namespace.

mboehler

Thanks, Chef!  I'll go give the speech training a shot.  Question, do I need to select the Speech Training Mode inside the MB Kinect application first?  Or is just having the application open sufficient?

I agree, kinect will set us apart.

I hope to eventually tie the face recognition into media browser more.

Right now the face recognition will log you in to the kinect app, but I am still waiting to tie directly into either MBC or MBTheater. ebr added some abilities to MBC, but I have to do some reading on the Media Center SDK and MBC themes to tie it in.

I also am half way finished sound targeting for face recognition. I was able to target the user who spoke a recognized command, and then draw an imaginary graphic line around them, read their face and then load their profile.

This does have it's draw backs though. It is quite CPU expensive. So I have been trying to have it happen quickly, and then shut down camera streams to protect resources.

We'll see how this progresses.

When Kinect was first announced these are the kinds of features I would dream about.  I'm really surprised that some of this kind of UI wasn't baked into Windows 8.  And when the Xbox 1 was announced some of the voice control they are doing sounds exciting, but left me as an HTPC user/cord cutter out in the cold.  Once MB Theater gets live tv and pvr functionality in combination with voice control and face recognition I will finally have a media solution from the future, like all the good movies seem to have.  Just need a way to convince Netflix and Pandora to build remote friendly plugins and then it would all be perfect ;)

Thanks, Chef! I'll go give the speech training a shot. Question, do I need to select the Speech Training Mode inside the MB Kinect application first? Or is just having the application open sufficient?

Selecting the speech training mode is eventually supposed to set mbkinect into a mode where you can keep it open without any speech recognition enabled, just the kinect microphone array. But, I haven't finished coding it. As it stands, if you press that button there is no way to re-enable the recognition...lol...

I will work on this as well this weekend.

Just keeping the app running with have the same effect. Just ignore any Mis-recognition while training.

When Kinect was first announced these are the kinds of features I would dream about. I'm really surprised that some of this kind of UI wasn't baked into Windows 8. And when the Xbox 1 was announced some of the voice control they are doing sounds exciting, but left me as an HTPC user/cord cutter out in the cold. Once MB Theater gets live tv and pvr functionality in combination with voice control and face recognition I will finally have a media solution from the future, like all the good movies seem to have. Just need a way to convince Netflix and Pandora to build remote friendly plugins and then it would all be perfect ;)

If you can find any information on control from these applications (Netflix and pandora), even if just command line parameters, I could eventually hardcore them into the app.

There is some issues I came across while trying to control the mb theatre with kinect, of coarse I haven't tried it in a while, I was testing early development builds. I will really attempt to push the app to its potential.

Edited by chef

As a side question: how is the face recognition working out?

The subroutines for face recognition are kinda hard to control because it is based on a loop which looks for faces in the environment.

If it doesn't find a face at first, the app will check about thirty times every three seconds.

The timing can probably be customized to be faster. I am just unsure about how precise kinect cameras are down to the tick of the processor. We could eventually cut the load time down quite substantially.

Edited by chef

Yes the camera will eat a thee memory during start up, but will stop after recognition.

As for some of the issues, I spent a good part of the day going through the code to find issues.

I believe I have something worthwhile to post tomorrow

I was finally able to start speech training from the app. It isn't pretty but it works.

Edited by chef

I was able to find the errors while switching the system name.

I was also able to find the errors that happened to some people while they loaded the app.

Media Browser Kinect Version 2.1

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/Media%20Browser%20Kinect%202.1.rar

Something to note: In this download is a font called "FontAwesome". install this on your computer. I haven't yet gotten to installing it through the program.

Edited by chef

Awesome. Next up... Why my kinect won't listen to me. Haha

Try Speech Training. I think the version posted above has fixed some issues. If there are still issues I will work hard to fix them.

I am attempting a direct interface with Windows Media center next. See If I can get control of MBC through other program Namespaces.

@@Xzener

Great News I have developed a way to keep the processor down while tracking skeletons and color camera events! Holy Geez, I can't believe I didn't see this before.

I was processing the entire frame at 30 frames per second. I have figured out a way to knock it down to only processing what I want and when I want it. Crap! I should have thought of this before. We can literally run hand and face tracking in real time all the time and it won't hardly impact the processor.

moviefan

Excited about this.  Just ordered a kinect off of ebay.  

How can we donate to your cause?  (Yes I know I can donate to MB in general and have done that many times but prefer something to directly benefit the author working on this here)

mhinchey03@gmail.com

mhinchey

Where you able to speak to the kinect and have it understand you yet?

Chef, I have made valiant progress yesterday speaking with my Kinect.  I didn't want to report until I got a full idea of what I was doing wrong as oppsed to the Kinect not listening to me.  Some things that I see problems with in various degrees is that connect doesn't seem to always want to go back to the home page.  On the other hand, I really don't know the list of commands.  I asked Kinect what can I say and it doesn't reply with commands that can be said.  Maybe a future add on.  I was able to have Kinect go into my movies folder and tv folder but I have yet made a cross jump.  Meaning while im in my movies folder have it go into a tv show folder.  Also, I was able to start a movie but unable to pause rewind etc.  Also, I was unable to strike up conversation with the kinect once the movie was over.  I was successful in hearing the time of day.  I will move into the face recognition after I get a bit further with vocal commands.  With that being said,  where can I get a list of commands?

Also, I tried using media browser theatre with less success than media Browser classic?  Anyone have a different experience?    Thx for the updated version.  It is much better than 2.0 :)

Chef, I have made valiant progress yesterday speaking with my Kinect. I didn't want to report until I got a full idea of what I was doing wrong as oppsed to the Kinect not listening to me. Some things that I see problems with in various degrees is that connect doesn't seem to always want to go back to the home page. On the other hand, I really don't know the list of commands. I asked Kinect what can I say and it doesn't reply with commands that can be said. Maybe a future add on. I was able to have Kinect go into my movies folder and tv folder but I have yet made a cross jump. Meaning while im in my movies folder have it go into a tv show folder. Also, I was able to start a movie but unable to pause rewind etc. Also, I was unable to strike up conversation with the kinect once the movie was over. I was successful in hearing the time of day. I will move into the face recognition after I get a bit further with vocal commands. With that being said, where can I get a list of commands?

Also, I tried using media browser theatre with less success than media Browser classic? Anyone have a different experience? Thx for the updated version. It is much better than 2.0 :)

Great report! In the help menu I have started a list of commands which can be used. The list is rather large so it is taking some time to piece the whole thing together.

To get into tv series try: "go to {series name}"

Then each season is: "season" then the number:

Example:

"Season one"

Then episodes are: " episode one" etc.

You may also use the episode name.

Play back gets tricky and I will write a more substantial "how-to" on that soon.

Excited about this. Just ordered a kinect off of ebay.

How can we donate to your cause? (Yes I know I can donate to MB in general and have done that many times but prefer something to directly benefit the author working on this here)

Sounds great! Welcome aboard! It is great to see some attention for the app. If you wish to donate:

PayPal: simplycatering@live.ca

Media browser theatre is more tricky. I can not put my finger on it yet, but something is not gelling between the two apps. I also had issues.