Kinect install on MB Classic

Sickboy

mhinchey03@gmail.com

Im unable to change the name.  It goes into a null error.  Im actually not even changing the name just going into that are and it comes up/  Also, I cannot get Kinect to do anything.  It tracks my voice but that is about it!!  Sometimes when I mention the listen word it will put up the screen but that is as far as it goes!

Im unable to change the name. It goes into a null error. Im actually not even changing the name just going into that are and it comes up/ Also, I cannot get Kinect to do anything. It tracks my voice but that is about it!! Sometimes when I mention the listen word it will put up the screen but that is as far as it goes!

I hope you are using the new folder structure and not using any old dll files.

Have you chosen a default device to control?

Also, please train you speech profile.

One last thing: use the command " kinect" then "start listening".

Once you have said "kinect" you have three seconds to say "start listening" before you have to repeat "kinect" to try again.

Please let me know how this goes.

Sorry for the vague instructions, Christmas for a chef is really busy.

I should have some time in the next couple days to do some serious testing.

Thanks

mhinchey03@gmail.com

I am using the new folder that you had us download from the link. Mbkinect 2.0. I extracted that to a completly new folder on my desktop. This is where i run the application. I did choose a default device. I didn't know to use the words "start listening" after the initial kinect command. I will give that a try and post my results. Thx.

I hope you are using the new folder structure and not using any old dll files.

Have you chosen a default device to control?

Also, please train you speech profile.

One last thing: use the command " kinect" then "start listening".

Once you have said "kinect" you have three seconds to say "start listening" before you have to repeat "kinect" to try again.

Please let me know how this goes.

Sorry for the vague instructions, Christmas for a chef is really busy.

I should have some time in the next couple days to do some serious testing.

Thanks

I am using the new folder that you had us download from the link. Mbkinect 2.0. I extracted that to a completly new folder on my desktop. This is where i run the application. I did choose a default device. I didn't know to use the words "start listening" after the initial kinect command. I will give that a try and post my results. Thx.

Thank you for taking the time to play with the application. It is nice to have some interest

Chef, I just wanted to let you know that I am one of those people who have been lurking here watching this mature. I do not currently have a Kinect, but I plan on purchasing one soon just so I can try this out.  I think Kinect control of Media Browser is a really cool idea, and I am very excited to see this work for myself.

Kinect control is one of those features sets MediaBrowser apart from the rest of pack.  Thanks for contributing this and all the work you've put into it.

• Like 1

HTPCity_Planner

Chef, I just wanted to let you know that I am one of those people who have been lurking here watching this mature. I do not currently have a Kinect, but I plan on purchasing one soon just so I can try this out.  I think Kinect control of Media Browser is a really cool idea, and I am very excited to see this work for myself.

Kinect control is one of those features sets MediaBrowser apart from the rest of pack.  Thanks for contributing this and all the work you've put into it.

This.  ;)

mhinchey03@gmail.com

error when saying start listening.txt 

Chef,

Ok I started up mbkinect again from the desktop.   I then wait for it to load everything up.  I say Kinect it identifies that im saying that and then I say "start listening".  It says how can I help you ....blah blah..  Immediately following an unhandled exception insues.  I have attached the file/  I could not get the Kinect to hear me after that happens!  PLease advise

I agree, kinect will set us apart.

I hope to eventually tie the face recognition into media browser more.

Right now the face recognition will log you in to the kinect app, but I am still waiting to tie directly into either MBC or MBTheater. ebr added some abilities to MBC, but I have to do some reading on the Media Center SDK and MBC themes to tie it in.

I also am half way finished sound targeting for face recognition. I was able to target the user who spoke a recognized command, and then draw an imaginary graphic line around them, read their face and then load their profile.

This does have it's draw backs though. It is quite CPU expensive. So I have been trying to have it happen quickly, and then shut down camera streams to protect resources.

We'll see how this progresses.

• Like 1

error when saying start listening.txt

Chef,

Ok I started up mbkinect again from the desktop. I then wait for it to load everything up. I say Kinect it identifies that im saying that and then I say "start listening". It says how can I help you ....blah blah.. Immediately following an unhandled exception insues. I have attached the file/ I could not get the Kinect to hear me after that happens! PLease advise

Okay it looks as though the exception is being thrown while kinect app is searching for your current location in media browser. Are you using media browser theatre?

And if so, is media browser sitting on the home page?

hedgehogg

Lots of exeption errors and the kinect camara seems to be looking at my ceiling how can I set the camaraup tried manually adjusting but it stays there

mhinchey03@gmail.com

Okay it looks as though the exception is being thrown while kinect app is searching for your current location in media browser. Are you using media browser theatre?

And if so, is media browser sitting on the home page?

Chef,

I am using MBrowser 3 classic for Media Center.    And Yes it is on home page

Lots of exeption errors and the kinect camara seems to be looking at my ceiling how can I set the camaraup tried manually adjusting but it stays there

"Kinect look straight" will set the camera forward again.

I will remove the camera tilt voice commands in a new version they are pretty much irrelevant now that a remote control can access the tilt.

Can you post a copy and paste of the exceptions you are experiencing. It maybe the same "place finder exception" that is mentioned above. I will fix it.

Edited by chef

Chef,

I am using MBrowser 3 classic for Media Center. And Yes it is on home page

@

Please attempt to start kinect while you are currently looking at a library tier, instead of the home page. Give the command to start listening and please let me know if you are able to gain access.

Edited by chef

mhinchey03@gmail.com

@

Please attempt to start kinect while you are currently looking at a library tier, instead of the home page. Give the command to start listening and please let me know if you are able to gain access.

Same result

@mhinchey@gmail.com

Are you logged into mbkinect with the same user name as mbc. Sorry just had to check.

Edited by chef

mhinchey03@gmail.com

@mhinchey@gmail.com

Are you logged into mbkinect with the same user name as mbc. Sorry just had to check.

Yes, I am logged in as the same user on both

mboehler

Here's my experience so far:

I extracted the contents of the zip file to my desktop.  So now I have a Media Browser Kinect 2.0 folder on my desktop with all of the contents below it.

Next, I start Media Browser Classic and go to the EHS.  I'm using ROC if it matters.

Third, I run MBKinect.exe.  I hear the music intro and the voice say "Welcome to Media Browser Kinect".  Then I get this message:

52b484bb41fe6_kinect1.jpg

So I close the program and run it again.  This time, it seems to work.  I get the MediaBrowser Kinect vRC2.0 box in the corner and it asks me to choose which device to connect.

52b485575dee5_kinect2.jpg

I clicked on the bars in the upper right of the box and the menu opened.  I clicked Devices and the Device menu opened.  I selected the instance of Media Browser Classic running on this PC, and then closed the menu.  So far so good!

• On a side note, can you make an option that automatically connects to this device?  I am not going to use it on any other devices.
  • Also, you may notice, that the designation is Stevie.  I set that previously, so I guess some configuration info is saved elsewhere and didn't get overwritten when I deleted and re-created the Media Browser Kinect 2.0 folder on the desktop.

At this point, it would be great if there was some kind of cheat sheet or printable card with the possible things you can say to the kinect to get started.

Next, I clicked on speech and then clicked on Speech Training Mode.  The Speech Training Mode button changed to say Training Mode On, but nothing else happened.  Should something else have happened?

I turned that back off and closed the Speech Properties menu.  I then clicked on Users and then selected Visual Recognition Training.  I picked my name (MomPop) and it allowed me to take 2 pictures (out of 5?).  Then the computer started acting sluggish and would not allow me to take another picture. So I backed out of that until I got back to the main MB Kinect window.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Edited by mboehler

Here's my experience so far:

I extracted the contents of the zip file to my desktop. So now I have a Media Browser Kinect 2.0 folder on my desktop with all of the contents below it.

Next, I start Media Browser Classic and go to the EHS. I'm using ROC if it matters.

Third, I run MBKinect.exe. I hear the music intro and the voice say "Welcome to Media Browser Kinect". Then I get this message:

52b484bb41fe6_kinect1.jpg

So I close the program and run it again. This time, it seems to work. I get the MediaBrowser Kinect vRC2.0 box in the corner and it asks me to choose which device to connect.

52b485575dee5_kinect2.jpg

I clicked on the bars in the upper right of the box and the menu opened. I clicked Devices and the Device menu opened. I selected the instance of Media Browser Classic running on this PC, and then closed the menu. So far so good!

• On a side note, can you make an option that automatically connects to this device? I am not going to use it on any other devices.
  • Also, you may notice, that the designation is Stevie. I set that previously, so I guess some configuration info is saved elsewhere and didn't get overwritten when I deleted and re-created the Media Browser Kinect 2.0 folder on the desktop.
At this point, it would be great if there was some kind of cheat sheet or printable card with the possible things you can say to the kinect to get started.
It is strange I also get mbkinect not working error. This must have to do with the compiler because this sort of error is not .net. The second time, I also am able to start mbkinect without error and it works.

Good news for you, once the default application is choosen you will not have to choose it again. You only have to pick a media browser client to control once. You can open the devices window again later to choose another client.

In the mbkinect folder structure you will find XML files which hold most of the applications information.

Some of the XML files are pretty cool:

- your user name

- your gender

- you geo location

- your top ten genre type favorites

- your default client to control

All together kinect will attempt to figure out:

- where you live

- what you like

- your face features

- your voice

- your admin rights to media browser

Edited by chef

Chef Said

How?

@@hedgehogg

I haven implemented it through out the application yet, however it works during face recognition training. I have finally finished cooking my six hundred turkey dinners and have a couple days off. I plan in working thoroughly on mbkinect to finish implementing remote control, and figure out some of these .net errors that show up after a successful compile on my computer during start up.

mboehler

I accidentally save my post above before I was finished with it, so I went back and edited it to add some more information instead of starting a new post.

I tried changing Kinect's name from Stevie (I had changed it a while back) back to Kinect, but then I got this error:

52b489535be0c_kinect3.jpg

Also, I can't find the page that lists the commands I can say.  Nor am I quite sure how to go about training it for my voice.

Thanks, Chef!

I accidentally save my post above before I was finished with it, so I went back and edited it to add some more information instead of starting a new post.

I tried changing Kinect's name from Stevie (I had changed it a while back) back to Kinect, but then I got this error:

52b489535be0c_kinect3.jpg

Also, I can't find the page that lists the commands I can say. Nor am I quite sure how to go about training it for my voice.

Thanks, Chef!

Good news here. This .net error seems to be a result of a timer I used to animate the menus.

I will hard code the animation into the application instead of creating a timer object. This will cut down on the .net errors.

As for the command list... ops.... I was in a rush when I posted this download and I didn't "un-comment out" code, so the button doesn't exist. I will fix this immediately. What good is a speech recognition app with out commands...??? ;)

Edited by chef