Duplicate Movies Help!

KayJay

Hi People,

First off, Happy New Year to you all!

I have a question regarding duplicate movies. When I get my movies I sometimes get early 'CAM' or 'Screener' releases but then download the HD version as soon as it's available, i've been doing this for numerous years but forgot to delete the crappy copies once I've downloaded the HD versions. Now, in my movies folder, I have hundreds of duplicate movie files. 

So my question to you guys is as follows:

• Is there any sort of free program (where I can download and use instead of downloading, scanning and then having to pay) to find these duplicate low resolution films?

I simply don't have the time to invest sitting there for hours and going through them manually, I would much prefer to just do a scan and then be able to delete the lower resolution finds. 

Now I've downloaded a few programs (DupeTrooper, easy duplicate finder to name some) and I've scanned my movies folder but these programs are picking up the images as well e.g. If I have say Independence day then these programs are finding 'Independence day-Disc' & 'Independence day-Cover'. I really want a program that can scan for just Movie file types or have that in the options so that it doesn't pick up my images. 

Thanks for reading,

Looking forward to your replies!

KayJay

Koleckai Silvestri

In the web client run the reports off the menu on the left. It should list duplicate movies and then you can delete the ones you don't want. Wouldn't trust a program because sometimes duplicates are wanted and which would it delete without your input.

Is there an option you have to choose or are you talking about going through that list to identify the duplicates and then going into the folder and deleting them manually?

it might also be easier to use windows explorer to search for *.mp4 recursively (replace with extension)

then you can see them all at a glance and do a multi-select and delete. it's manual but easy

Deathsquirrel

Here's what I would do:

1) Browse to the folder containing your movies, say c:\Movies.

2) In the search field search for your common movie file extension.  That's likely .MP4 or MKV.

3) View the Details view.

4) Right click any of the column headers and select More.

5) Check the boxes for Frame Height and Frame Width.

Now you can see the file name, folder, and video dimensions.  Should be pretty easy to select and delete the lower res files.  You can also add in bit rate if that's helpful.

Here's what I would do:

1) Browse to the folder containing your movies, say c:\Movies.

2) In the search field search for your common movie file extension. That's likely .MP4 or MKV.

3) View the Details view.

4) Right click any of the column headers and select More.

5) Check the boxes for Frame Height and Frame Width.

Now you can see the file name, folder, and video dimensions. Should be pretty easy to select and delete the lower res files. You can also add in bit rate if that's helpful.

I've actually done this last night and now I'm completely baffled. I thought I had a lot more movies that I actually do and now the duplicates are not even in my movies folder.

I don't know why they're showing up in media player of the movies aren't in the folder.

This has changed to a completely different topic now, how can I sort out my media so that it's only showing movies I've actually got?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Deathsquirrel

Have you looked at the filename and path shown in the metadata editor?  Is it actually showing files that don't exist?

Have you looked at the filename and path shown in the metadata editor?  Is it actually showing files that don't exist?

Yes it is showing content that isn't actually on my computer. I don't know why though.

Yes it is showing content that isn't actually on my computer. I don't know why though.

The path is something that isn't in your system?

• 3 months later...
windozesuk

Would it be too much work to add a search function under reports that would return any IMDB or Movie DB title that has multiple entries in Media Browser's Library? Seems like a fairly easy variable to implement.