Gamebrowser Guide

shaefurr

joshhuggins

Thanks Patrick, I have been tying to do something similar using CMD but haven't figured it out yet. One question I have is where are you pointing the game system folder for Windows in the GameBrowser Game System setup? 

• 3 weeks later...
patrck269

My apologies for not seeing your reply earlier,

I just pointed the game system folder to my windows games folder, under the main Games library. as far as I can tell it just designates the location of the windows sub-library of the main Games library. 

In regards to using cmd for this, I am unsure if that is possible to do. I originally attempted to use cmd for this as well, but switched to PowerShell as it seemed to be the easier solution. I wish you luck in your project!

• 1 month later...
Criogena
Hi everyone, I don't know if you have already dealt with the problem: Using Emby Theater to launch roms on the gamebrowser,
I have read to many users that the emulator opened correctly but the game did not start.
I found the solution to the problem thanks to the VirtuaNES debug.

When you add in the launch parameters of the external player (inside Emby Theater) the {path} parameter you are right BUT 
you have to be careful how you "show" the media folder on the network ..
With VirtuaNes you will see an error indicating a network path of your media folder that does NOT coincide with the path that
samba offers you in the explorer.

my Example:
\\192.168.1.22\MickeyMouse\Games\NES\DoubleDragon\doubledragon.rom  <--- THAT IS WHAT SAMBA WRITE

/srv/MickeyMouse/Games/NES/DoubleDragon/doubledragon.rom  <---- THAT IS WHAT {path} RETURN !!

The solution to the problem can be found by going to: Preferences -> Libraries and clicking on your Media Folder you need to add
 in the SHARED FOLDER option the SAMBA Path.
I hope it can be of help to someone.
A hug from Crio 
p.s. Sorry for Google Translator but i don t speak very well english.. sorry

Criogena
Hi, hoping it will be useful to someone I report the correct parameters to use retroarch as unique emulator.

EMBY THEATER 
download from here: https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Go to External Players -> ADD -> Select type of media GAME:

Player Path: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\retroarch.exe

Game System: Select your system (loaded using GameBrowser plugin)

Parameters: every param for each line so:

-L
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\cores\mesen-s_libretro.dll <-- copy and paste the right core for the selected system
{path}

2nd tips: Open Retroarch and inside Video Setting enable BILINEAR FILTER

3rd tips: Is not necessary make 1 directory for each rom.. BEFORE SCAN THE MEDIA you can upload on your server all the folder 
with all the roms inside. After upload you can ADD SYSTEM on your GameBrowser plugin and AFTER make a MEDIA SCAN.

I use LINUX UBUNTU SERVER and work all at 100% 
Halló allir

• 1 month later...
djvilla

I have read the previous questions and requests for help. I don't see my answer anywhere.

I am trying to setup Nestopia for my Emby users. I have Nestopia able to start; but the file is not found. My CMD line arguments is set to "{path}" as stated in the CMD line arguments guide for Emby Theater.

My folder structure is Games/NES/Airwolf/Airwolf.nes once I do a library scan I find it just fine. The problem is when I click on it and press play. Nestopia opens and I get the file not found error. I thought the problem could be my .nes file; but I used Nestopia to open the game on my server manually and it opened and ran just fine. The file is fine. Nestopia is fine. Gamebrowser points at Nestopia and opens it immediately; but then I get File Not Found error.

Please help me. I love using Emby and have gotten two years of use out of it for my family and friends. My new project is to add the ability to play ROMs.

One thing I'd like to make clear for future users. Nestopia is to be installed on the client. Not the server. The server just holds the ROMs. Each client must have Nestopia installed before Gamebrowser or Emby Theater can use it. Each user must point to its own installation of Nestopia in external players. I tried forever to get Nestopia to open with it only installed on the server not my laptop. I appreciate all the guides and tutorials. Please help me.

Edited by djvilla

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 4:38 AM, djvilla said:

I have read the previous questions and requests for help. I don't see my answer anywhere.

I am trying to setup Nestopia for my Emby users. I have Nestopia able to start; but the file is not found. My CMD line arguments is set to "{path}" as stated in the CMD line arguments guide for Emby Theater.

My folder structure is Games/NES/Airwolf/Airwolf.nes once I do a library scan I find it just fine. The problem is when I click on it and press play. Nestopia opens and I get the file not found error. I thought the problem could be my .nes file; but I used Nestopia to open the game on my server manually and it opened and ran just fine. The file is fine. Nestopia is fine. Gamebrowser points at Nestopia and opens it immediately; but then I get File Not Found error.

Please help me. I love using Emby and have gotten two years of use out of it for my family and friends. My new project is to add the ability to play ROMs.

One thing I'd like to make clear for future users. Nestopia is to be installed on the client. Not the server. The server just holds the ROMs. Each client must have Nestopia installed before Gamebrowser or Emby Theater can use it. Each user must point to its own installation of Nestopia in external players. I tried forever to get Nestopia to open with it only installed on the server not my laptop. I appreciate all the guides and tutorials. Please help me.

Hi @djvilla did you check that the command line arguments are correct based on what Nestopia expects? The default value of {path} is just a default from Emby Theater. It does not have any Nestopia-specific customization so you'll need to ensure the command line is correct. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
electricwildflower

Hey everyone, quick question, can this work on a True/Freenas machine, at first i thought it wasn't possible as no way of getting emulators on True/Freenas because it's not really built for gaming but then two ideas popped into my head

Retroarch - Installed via shell, could i just point to the emulators executable's wherever they are installed and run roms stored on Truenas pools
Virtual machine - Install a Linux distro, install Retroarch on the distro and get emby to point to the emulators on that distro somehow

Would be nice if i could do away with Retropie and just grab a couple of bluetooth controllers for my firestick, load emby and play a game streaming from Truenas :) 

26 minutes ago, electricwildflower said:

Hey everyone, quick question, can this work on a True/Freenas machine, at first i thought it wasn't possible as no way of getting emulators on True/Freenas because it's not really built for gaming but then two ideas popped into my head

You will want to review post one in this thread which walks you through the setup of both the server and the CLIENTS and which ones support this.

The emulators run on the client.

• 8 months later...
Nevrion

Hello

Is there a list of which file extensions are necessary for which system in Emby? For example, my Dreamcast games are all available as .cue and .bin and Emby cannot find one of the games during the scan.

Folder structure:

roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game (Track1) .bin
roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game (Track2) .bin
roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game (Track3) .bin
roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game.cue

BillOatman
1 hour ago, Nevrion said:

Hello

Is there a list of which file extensions are necessary for which system in Emby? For example, my Dreamcast games are all available as .cue and .bin and Emby cannot find one of the games during the scan.

Folder structure:

roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game (Track1) .bin
roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game (Track2) .bin
roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game (Track3) .bin
roms / Dreamcast / Gamename / Game.cue

Hii, I've been working with @Sarakha63on adding Nintendo Switch though I don' know this plugin.  I added those extensions to dreamcast so you can give it a try if you like,  If it works OK i'll try and get it released.

GameBrowser.zip

Edited by BillOatman

BillOatman

@Sarakha63 and I have been working on integrating the Nintendo Switch.  He says it is working except for a metadata issue.  I'll let him explain as I don't use the plugin :)  But it seems to be working.

I also added the additional extensions requested by @Nevrion for Dreamcast.  Both are in the DLL in the post before this one.

Later today I'll see if I can branch the github repository and get the changes in.  @Lukecan anyone branch and make a pull request or do you (and would you) enable me?  My account is BillOatmanWork.

Sarakha63
1 minute ago, BillOatman said:

@Sarakha63 and I have been working on integrating the Nintendo Switch.  He says it is working except for a metadata issue.  I'll let him explain as I don't use the plugin :)  But it seems to be working.

I also added the additional extensions requested by @Nevrion for Dreamcast.  Both are in the DLL in the post before this one.

Later today I'll see if I can branch the github repository and get the changes in.  @Lukecan anyone branch and make a pull request or do you (and would you) enable me?  My account is BillOatmanWork.

As the plugin uses emumovies to get metadata arts... This platform doesnt support nintendo switch so adding the extensions and adding switch to the list was enough to get the files detected but metadata for the switch will have to be manual until someone or emby teams reworks this plugin to use other scrapers than just emumovies.

Thanks @BillOatman by the way for making the modification i spotted so that we could test. @BillOatman was kind enough to make those minor modifications as i didnt have a valid dev environement to compile the dll

11 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Anyone can submit a pull request. You can do that using your own fork, so a branch isn't needed. Thanks !

BillOatman
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Anyone can submit a pull request. You can do that using your own fork, so a branch isn't needed. Thanks !

Never tried a fork before, I'll have a go later.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Arturito said:

@Luke Could you take a look at my pull request?

I have added support to "Nintendo 3DS" and a couple of new extensions.

Will do, thanks !

14 minutes ago, TallBoiDez said:

im still having a hard time, im set it up for psp games, but the command argument has me confuse

Hi, confused you how?

22 hours ago, TallBoiDez said:

What do I put there

Are you referring to the command line arguments when setting up an external player for games in Emby Theater?

TallBoiDez
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Are you referring to the command line arguments when setting up an external player for games in Emby Theater?

Yes

• 3 months later...
sundevil67
On 1/11/2020 at 9:31 PM, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback! 

@@lunadmin, have you tried games with Emby Theater?

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Is Emby Theater required to use the Game Browser plugin? I just installed it, got to the Emby Theater step & realized that app is for Windows only - and I run Emby on Mac OS.