Linux Mint > Emby Install & super-challenged new user

FatherSaint

FatherSaint

Ubuntu X64

1.  Download emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_amd64.deb

Easy, but then...

2. dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_amd64.deb

Incredibly, THIS is where I am stuck. I am assuming that #2 here needs to be run to extract the downloaded package properly:

- Just doing a right-click on the download and trying to use GDebi installer doesn't do anything

- Copy that command into Terminal and not matter what I do, (location and command in quotes due to the spaces in the names, etc) it can't find the file or the location or any of my active brain cells

WHAT, SPECIFICALLY, do I have to do to run that command??!!

I'll be forever grateful for help with this!

Lessaj

You run it in a terminal from the folder where you downloaded the deb as root user or use sudo.

• Thanks 1

FatherSaint
Posted (edited)

Update!!:

After a shutdown and recent startup of the test HTPC, I was able to successfully simply Right-Click the downloaded package and install with GDebi. Emby is up and running and it sees a few test Movies and TV Shows. My Roku still only sees my regular Emby server, but I'm FAR more confident that I can plow ahead (documenting everything) to a successful installation.

I'm going to leave what I wrote below for posterity because now it TRIED to install the download, but had an issue with the "-i" switch.

==================================

I bought a refurb test machine for this and have tried a number of distros & desktop environments, basic details of the machine at the end. Mint was made the most sense for me and my experience set.

----------------------------

• This test HTPC runs headless, with NoMachine and WinSCP for quick and easy access. Wired mouse & keyboard could be used.
  • I have ONLY the one profile on this new installation of Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3
  • The download is in my Downloads folder and I also tried copying it to my desktop

I get into Terminal and run:

LS

and it displays a blue line of: Desktop Documents Downloads Music Pictures Public Templates Videos

In Terminal NOW when I run:

sudo apt install dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_amd64.deb

The response to that command is:

E: Command line option 'i' [from -i] is not understood in combination with the other options.

Test HTPC Info

Physical Drive 0 SSD - OS
Physical Drive 1 HDD - Media

HP Z2 Tower G4 HTPC
Intel Core i7 8700K (Coffee Lake)
32GB DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)
Dell NVIDIA Quadro P400 (2GB)

Take-Away: This is pretty fun and a fantastic learning experience with no pressure. Thanks to the amazing free NoMachine I can sit comfortably at my normal Windows workstation with full access to the Linux machine, including full copy & paste ability. Honorable mention goes to the also free WinSCP for file transfer from Windows into Linux, which like NoMachine just magically worked.

Edited by FatherSaint

Q-Droid

Cool! Glad you're making progress. 

One thing you might want to clear up is the use of HTPC to describe your system. In a media forum HTPC means something specific, a machine attached to your display (TV, etc) and sometimes audio system, functioning as the interface. Comparable to a game console and primarily for media. If it's headless and you're streaming through a Roku then it's basically a media server. The difference is that desktop UI, remote, inputs and outputs matter for an HTPC but not for a headless media server.

• Like 1

Lessaj
8 hours ago, FatherSaint said:
sudo apt install dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_amd64.deb

This command is wrong, you should not have apt install in that command. And based on your ls output the .deb is not available in that folder, it's probably in the Downloads folder so you needed to cd to that directory first.

• Like 1

FatherSaint
1 hour ago, Q-Droid said:

Cool! Glad you're making progress. 

One thing you might want to clear up is the use of HTPC to describe your system. In a media forum HTPC means something specific, a machine attached to your display (TV, etc) and sometimes audio system, functioning as the interface. Comparable to a game console and primarily for media. If it's headless and you're streaming through a Roku then it's basically a media server. The difference is that desktop UI, remote, inputs and outputs matter for an HTPC but not for a headless media server.

Yes, I see what you're saying. My daily machine IS an HTPC. This headless test machine won't replace that machine if Linux works out, but it's serving the basic functions as I work through the issues, so I still use HTPC because everything is housed, processed and delivered on & from that one computer.

• Like 1

FatherSaint
49 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

This command is wrong, you should not have apt install in that command. And based on your ls output the .deb is not available in that folder, it's probably in the Downloads folder so you needed to cd to that directory first.

My 35+ years supporting Windows is actually more of a hindrance than a help when it comes to Linux.

Yes, the .deb is definitely IN the Downloads folder, but for some reason that I don't understand, I don't seem to be able to CD INTO the Downloads folder. I'll look at it again, things seem to be self-healing after the PC has been shut down. Or maybe it's just that I am.  😀

I was trying for the Quick & Dirty approach, but I guess I really need to read up on commands and document processes for myself.

FatherSaint
55 minutes ago, FatherSaint said:

I don't seem to be able to CD INTO the Downloads folder...

Argh! LOL!

• downloads doesn't exist to Linux
  • Downloads does

By some stroke of luck I happened to think, 'what if it cares about capitalization?' Which of course Windows doesn't in a case like this

Sure enough, CD Downloads got me into the folder and

sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_amd64.deb

executed the package without issue. I'm hoping now that a little weirdness in Emby will be addressed by this correct installation.

I bet you're going to shake your head over this one!

Lessaj
1 minute ago, FatherSaint said:

Argh! LOL!

• downloads doesn't exist to Linux
  • Downloads does

By some stroke of luck I happened to think, 'what if it cares about capitalization?' Which of course Windows doesn't in a case like this

Sure enough, CD Downloads got me into the folder and

sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_amd64.deb

executed the package without issue. I'm hoping now that a little weirdness in Emby will be addressed by this correct installation.

I bet you're going to shake your head over this one!

I am indeed SMH. 😜 Yes things are case sensitive.