Emby container running on Synology - DTS-HD MA transcoding issue

tattler

tattler

Hi good day,

I am running Emby in a container on Synology and it is working flawlessly. Recently I discovered something very strange with transcoding of DTS-HD MA/TrueHD when viewing a video in CCWGTV (Chromecast with GoogleTV). The movie has 2 audio streams: DTS-HD MA and AC3 5.1. If I start the video with the default audio DTS-HD MA, it gets transcoded correctly in Emby for AndroidTV if I set the option "Transcode incompatible audio to AC3". If I switched the audio to AC3 while playing, it is direct-playing. But when I switched the audio back to DTS-HD MA, it is still direct-playing the audio instead of transcoding it. This is very strange.

I also tried the standard Android version (not for Android TV), DTS-HD MA is not getting transcoded at all! My SONOS Playbar does not support DTS anyway so Emby client should trigger the transcoding to AC3. Using the standard Android version on the Android tablet it is behaving correctly: switching AC3 => DTS-HD MA => audio gets transcoded.

I am running Emby client on CCWGTV and the following versions:
Emby server: 4.8.3.0
Emby Client: Emby for Android TV 2.1.10g
Emby Client: Android Emby 3.3.77

I have attached server log from Emby. Please let me know what else do you need to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks!

ffmpeg-transcode-d762b334-8468-40c3-a6c0-21ab72f53b69_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9c624b0f-e582-4ae7-ba90-92007cd1dd40_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4a615b15-336f-42c3-a0ca-b81db0bfc0d2_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9ef767b0-fc3a-4764-a376-5891a9270942_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ede05a74-8c46-461d-9edc-4409f3210ce2_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by tattler

I also tried the standard Android version (not for Android TV), DTS-HD MA is not getting transcoded at all! My SONOS Playbar does not support DTS anyway so Emby client should trigger the transcoding to AC3

HI, do you get audio? 

And by the way, yes this app is for Android TV !

tattler
6 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, do you get audio? 

And by the way, yes this app is for Android TV !

Hi @Lukeyes I get audio but in Stereo PCM unfortunately after switching from AC3 => DTS-HD MA during playback. If I restarted the movie with DTS-HD MA selected, it gets transcoded correctly. Somehow the Emby client for Android TV does not detect the DTS audio change during playback and was direct playing it instead of transcoding. I tested with TrueHD <=> AC3 streams and it is transcoding correctly. It works for TrueHD but not DTS. I can reproduce this issue easily.

I found the standard Android app starts some movies slower than the Android TV version on ccwgtv... I don't know why.

tattler

Hi @LukeI just sent a log from the Emby app (Emby for Android TV 2.1.10g) at around EST 4:35. I was playing the movie Breaking with user name Eric.

I selected DTS-HD MA when starting the movie to show that Emby transcodes the audio perfectly. And then I switched to AC3 audio during playback. Then after a few seconds, I switched to DTS-HD MA. The audio does not get transcoded this time.

Please check the log and investigate why DTS-HD MA is not transcoded when switching audio streams during playback. Thanks in advance!

tattler

Audio transcoding of the standard Android version on Xiaomi tablet does not work as well. If I set the local network bandwidth to 20mbps then everything gets transcoded correctly, including the audio. If I disabled the bandwidth setting, everything is direct playing, also for the DTS or TrueHD audio. The app doesn't seem to detect the support audio codecs correctly on the tablet. The tablet is set to Dolby Atmos. So IT should transcode DTS/TrueHD audio but it is direct playing.

Since the option to convert unsupported audio to DD is not available on the standard Android app, am I forced to use the Android TV version instead to get the sound right?

tattler

Hi, can someone pls help to explain why the transcoding is not triggered when switching audio streams during playback from AC3 => DTS-HD MA?

CBers
On 18/04/2024 at 13:32, tattler said:

I also tried the standard Android version (not for Android TV), DTS-HD MA is not getting transcoded at all! My SONOS Playbar does not support DTS anyway so Emby client should trigger the transcoding to AC3.

This is a known issue with the Universal Android app, and another reason why the Android TV app is still the better app.

This issue has been on-going for almost 2 years now, and there has been no progress thus far.

@ebrwill have to reply about the ATV app issue, but I have never seen that issue before.

tattler
9 hours ago, CBers said:

This is a known issue with the Universal Android app, and another reason why the Android TV app is still the better app.

This issue has been on-going for almost 2 years now, and there has been no progress thus far.

@ebrwill have to reply about the ATV app issue, but I have never seen that issue before.

Ok the universal Android version is not transcoding non-supported audio is known. I hope this will be fixed soon ... thank you for the info @CBers

However, the ATV version DOES transcode non-supported audio if I enabled "Convert unsupported audio to AC3" in the app setting. But the issue arises when I switched the audio from AC3 => DTS-HD MA. It will just direct play it and not transcoding. The audio is in Stereo PCM. Not so enjoyable tbh. ATV is capable of doing what the universal Android version cannot, so maybe a bug in the audio switching department that fails to detect it on-the-fly? If I restarted the movie with DTS-HD MA, it is being transcoded accordingly. So it is weird behaviour and not consistent.