Wrong metedata language for episodes description

hedeus
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

hedeus

Hello everyone,

For the last couple of months, I've been trying different media servers. I was going to settle with Emby, but there are some metadata problems I couldn't fix, and I was unable to find the solution.

The problem is that the episode descriptions for my anime episodes are displayed in Japanese, although the episode title is displayed correctly. You see, my first language is Russian, and English is secondary. So, if there's no metadata in Russian, I don't mind if it's displayed in English. Currently, my library looks like this:

image.thumb.png.80513587fb9ec7d61cae2d578fac13c2.png

As you can see, the episode descriptions are in Japanese, while the episode names are correct. Is there a setting I'm missing? How do I make it grab metadata in English if my first language isn't available?

Here, I set one of the episode's languages to English. The description is now in English, but now episode names are in English too:

image.thumb.png.7588afbb8452f614f5681d1631dd6f7f.png

I apologize if this is a repeat issue, but I couldn't find any relevant discussions. All other popular media servers I tried (linked to the same library) don't have this issue.

• Agree 1

Hello hedeus,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

hedeus
Posted (edited)

Forgot to add my metadata settings, although i changed them a lot while i was trying to fix the issue.
image.thumb.png.0371a191fd70a427d12476fae6bd9733.png

Also, I forgot to mention that I've tried removing and adding the library again with different settings; most of the tries made it worse.

Edited by hedeus

Happy2Play

What is the library language setting?  Did you set language on the individual show?

Do you write nfo files with media?  If so can you post one for an episode with Japanese overview.

Most topics like this are because the fallback language of English when set language is unavailable.

hedeus

Sorry for a late response and thank you for your reply.

22 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

What is the library language setting?  Did you set language on the individual show?

It's set to russian and yes, I've tried setting languages on individual shows, it's stays the same unless I set it to english.

here's my lib settings:
image.png.bb3028a71ccf218a5ee51a1f6908ae82.png

22 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Do you write nfo files with media?  If so can you post one for an episode with Japanese overview.

Yes, I hoped that using media managers like filebot and tinymediamanager would download correct metadata and tried using them. It didn't help or I just missed something.
here's couple of examples  of .nfo files:

<episodedetails>
  <title>Yoruichi, Master of Speed, Dances!</title>
  <season>3</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <aired>2005-07-26</aired>
  <plot>Yoruichi escapes with Ichigo, but Byayka doesn't want that to happen. Meanwhile, the other two in the group, Orihime and Uuyru, befalls another story.</plot>
  <uniqueid type="tvdb" default="true">313429</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="sonarr">625</uniqueid>
  <thumb>https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/v4/episode/313429/screencap/63bc031f793ee.jpg</thumb>
  <watched>false</watched>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <aspect>1.33333337</aspect>
        <bitrate>2483807</bitrate>
        <codec>x264</codec>
        <framerate>24.234</framerate>
        <height>576</height>
        <scantype>Progressive</scantype>
        <width>768</width>
        <duration>22.847133333333336</duration>
        <durationinseconds>1371</durationinseconds>
      </video>
      <audio>
        <bitrate>650299</bitrate>
        <channels>2</channels>
        <codec>FLAC</codec>
        <language>Japanese</language>
      </audio>
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>
</episodedetails>

<episodedetails>
  <title>The Materialization of Zanpakutō</title>
  <season>13</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <aired>2009-07-28</aired>
  <plot>A mysterious man informs a group of strange beings that it is the time to strike. Ichigo Kurosaki wakes up in Zangetsu's dimension and receives a warning of what is about to happen. Meanwhile in Seireitei, the captains and lieutenants of Gotei 13 begin to feel their zanpakutō's detachment from them, but do not understand what it means. At night, a group of ryoka attempts to enter Shigekuni Yamamoto-Genryūsai's abode. Yamamoto and Sasakibe confront the intruders but what they see leaves them in shock. Later, the captains and lieutenants are ordered by Yamamoto to gather at Soukyoku Hill. Upon arriving there, they are met by the mysterious man, who calls himself Muramasa. Sajin Komamura attacks the intruder with Tenken but instead of hitting Muramasa, Tenken attacks Komamura. Reappearing as a human form, Tenken strikes down Komamura. The rest of the Soul Reapers prepare to attack but find themselves unable to release their zanpakutōs. Their zanpakutōs take on human form and stand beside Muramasa, who tells the Soul Reapers that their zanpakutōs have renounced them and declares war.</plot>
  <uniqueid type="tvdb" default="true">823291</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="sonarr">813</uniqueid>
  <thumb>https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/74796/823291.jpg</thumb>
  <watched>false</watched>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <aspect>1.77777779</aspect>
        <bitrate>2560000</bitrate>
        <codec>x264</codec>
        <framerate>25.000</framerate>
        <height>1080</height>
        <scantype>Progressive</scantype>
        <width>1920</width>
        <duration>22.785333333333334</duration>
        <durationinseconds>1367</durationinseconds>
      </video>
      <audio>
        <bitrate>0</bitrate>
        <channels>2</channels>
        <codec>AAC</codec>
        <language>Russian</language>
      </audio>
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>
</episodedetails>

Didn't quite understand your last sentence about fallback language. Could you rephrase?

Happy2Play

Who made those nfo files as they don't appear to made by Emby?  I will quess "Sonarr" as it has its own id.

hedeus

It's been a while, I can't remember.  But I've tried a few media organizers 

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, hedeus said:

It's been a while, I can't remember.  But I've tried a few media organizers 

Yes we see issues with someone else providing nfo files.  You could delete the nfo files and Refresh metadata in Emby to see if it corrects the issue.

hedeus
5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

You could delete the nfo files and Refresh metadata in Emby to see if it corrects the issue.

I deleted all .nfo files from my show folders. Then, I removed and re-added the library in Emby. However, it still looks the same.

image.thumb.png.d28bc433347c2868422e70acfabcae5f.png

Happy2Play

Can you post the server log for that.

Happy2Play

@hedeusNo need for log as I tested that episode and see the issue just need to the dev to comment.

@Lukeis there a fallback translation issue as it appears to fallback to episode-official and not episodes-official-eng?

I set Bleach to Russian/Russia and Refreshed.

image.thumb.png.2f2b312060c1966849f77dbb71d3440d.png

episodes-official-rus (as you see name is used)

{
            "id": 313429,
            "seriesId": 74796,
            "name": "Ёруити, богиня скорости, танцует!",
            "aired": "2005-07-26",
            "runtime": 25,
            "image": "/banners/v4/episode/313429/screencap/63bc031f793ee.jpg",
            "imageType": 11,
            "isMovie": 0,
            "number": 1,
            "seasonNumber": 3,
            "lastUpdated": "2023-01-09 12:05:52"
        }

episode-official (as you see overview is used from none language query).

{
            "name": "瞬神夜一、舞う!",
            "overview": "対峙する一護と白哉の間に割り込んできた夜一。その姿に驚く浮竹、白哉、ルキア。夜一こそ百余年前に姿をくらませ、死んだと思われていた先代の隠密機動総司令官だった。夜一の助けを断り、白哉を攻撃しようとする一護。その時、夜一が突然一護に攻撃する。不意をつかれて意識を失う一護。そのまま一護ひとりを連れて逃走を計ろうとする夜一。その前に立ちはだかる白哉。互いの瞬歩(しゅんぽ)を駆使した高速の戦いが始まる。",
            "image": "https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/v4/episode/313429/screencap/63bc031f793ee.jpg",
        }

episodes-official-eng (and to close this as I would think English fallback was supposed to happen).

{
            "name": "Yoruichi, Master of Speed, Dances!",
            "overview": "Yoruichi escapes with Ichigo, but Byayka doesn't want that to happen. Meanwhile, the other two in the group, Orihime and Uuyru, befalls another story.\r\n",
        }

Only tested 4.8.3.0.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

As a note you can see these cached provider query files in your Emby Cache folder.

50 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@hedeusNo need for log as I tested that episode and see the issue just need to the dev to comment.

@Lukeis there a fallback translation issue as it appears to fallback to episode-official and not episodes-official-eng?

I set Bleach to Russian/Russia and Refreshed.

image.thumb.png.2f2b312060c1966849f77dbb71d3440d.png

episodes-official-rus (as you see name is used)

{
            "name": "Ёруити, богиня скорости, танцует!",
        }

episode-official (as you see overview is used from none language query).

{
            "name": "瞬神夜一、舞う!",
            "overview": "対峙する一護と白哉の間に割り込んできた夜一。その姿に驚く浮竹、白哉、ルキア。夜一こそ百余年前に姿をくらませ、死んだと思われていた先代の隠密機動総司令官だった。夜一の助けを断り、白哉を攻撃しようとする一護。その時、夜一が突然一護に攻撃する。不意をつかれて意識を失う一護。そのまま一護ひとりを連れて逃走を計ろうとする夜一。その前に立ちはだかる白哉。互いの瞬歩(しゅんぽ)を駆使した高速の戦いが始まる。",
            "image": "https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/v4/episode/313429/screencap/63bc031f793ee.jpg",
        }

episodes-official-eng (and to close this as I would think English fallback was supposed to happen).

{
            "name": "Yoruichi, Master of Speed, Dances!",
            "overview": "Yoruichi escapes with Ichigo, but Byayka doesn't want that to happen. Meanwhile, the other two in the group, Orihime and Uuyru, befalls another story.\r\n",
        }

Only tested 4.8.3.0.

So I guess it's falling back to the original language of the show rather than english?

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

So I guess it's falling back to the original language of the show rather than english?

In this specific example it would appear so.

wordlover

Funny, I was just about to post about this exact same issue with a completely different show, in French. The description metadata for the series downloads correctly in English, but for each of the individual episodes it comes down as French only.

Zeckro

Same issue here, every anime episode where no description is available in my language (German) has a Japanese description but a German title. This wasn't always the case and I would prefer the title and the description to be consistent in language, so not even a German title with an English description.

Happy2Play

Honestly don't know if this has always been this way or a change in the TVDB plugin falling back to Show original language as I only test these issues. 

I really don't understand the purpose of the episode-official though as it is not language specific.  But can say that is the issue we are seeing.

Zeckro
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Honestly don't know if this has always been this way or a change in the TVDB plugin falling back to Show original language as I only test these issues. 

I really don't understand the purpose of the episode-official though as it is not language specific.  But can say that is the issue we are seeing.

I'm pretty sure the description was in English when there was no description in any other chosen language until some time ago. But I also have series with episodes including no description, it's possible I forgot that I had deleted the descriptions though.

wordlover

Some data points and screen shots, from the TV series "Classified" (i.e. "Classé Secret") in the original French, for which Series description is downloaded and displayed in English, but Episode descriptions are in French. Turns out there simply aren't English episode descriptions in TVDB. So a suggestion: when the top priority metadata source comes up empty in the preferred language, could Emby look at the NEXT provider? In both IMDB and TheMovieDB, the episode descriptions DO exist in English.

Two complications in this case:

1. For some reason Emby doesn't correctly ID the series in TheMovieDB although it does in IMDB and TheTVDB.

2. Why is there no option to set priority for IMDB data in TV library settings?

Screenshot_20240330-200208.png

Screenshot_20240330-200047.png

Screenshot_20240330-200002.png

Screenshot_20240330-195926.png

Screenshot_20240330-201035.png

hedeus
3 hours ago, wordlover said:

Turns out there simply aren't English episode descriptions in TVDB.

For clarification: In my case, even if an episode description exists in English, it's still displayed in the TV show's original language.
(Sorry about the broken screenshot; HDR issues.)

image.thumb.png.9962c24729e055685dc73e236e9d3dca.png

image.thumb.png.b4c6d65de9ea9aada354ba311626df59.png

• Agree 1

hedeus

So, is there anything that can be done?  Is it a bug? 

pwhodges

I have a similar issue.  I just added the first episode of a new series, and it has an English episode title in TVDB, but no English episode description.  I would expect the English title to be shown by Emby, and the (original language) Japanese description - this has been the way in the past.  However, I am being shown the Japanese title as well as description, even though the English title is available.

I did a metadata refresh in case the English wasn't there when I added it yesterday, but it didn't change.  The file concerned is "Spice and Wolf (2024) - s01e01 .mkv"

Paulembyserver.txtembyserver-63847785597.txt

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

I have a similar issue.  I just added the first episode of a new series, and it has an English episode title in TVDB, but no English episode description.  I would expect the English title to be shown by Emby, and the (original language) Japanese description - this has been the way in the past.  However, I am being shown the Japanese title as well as description, even though the English title is available.

I did a metadata refresh in case the English wasn't there when I added it yesterday, but it didn't change.  The file concerned is "Spice and Wolf (2024) - s01e01 .mkv"

Paulembyserver.txtembyserver-63847785597.txt

Same issues as the rest as the episode-official returned data

"episodes": [{
            "id": 10219293,
            "seriesId": 417147,
            "name": "収穫祭と狭くなった御者台",
            "aired": "2024-04-02",
            "runtime": 24,
            "overview": "行商人のロレンスは麦の取引のため、収穫祭を間近に控えるパスロエ村に立ち寄った。だが、目当ての交渉人ヤレイは、豊作の神“ホロ”を祀る風習によって閉じ込められ、会えなくなってしまう。仕方なく村をあとにしたロレンスはその夜、荷馬車に忍び込んだ少女と出会う。彼女は獣耳と立派な尻尾をもち、村の神と同じ”ホロ“と名乗った。",
            "image": "https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/v4/episode/10219293/screencap/6607f39ea23df.jpg",
            "seasonNumber": 1,
            "lastUpdated": "2024-04-03 17:25:30"
        }

But nothing returned searching ENG per TVDB api

https://api4.thetvdb.com/v4/series/417147/episodes/official/eng?page=0

{
  "status": "failure",
  "message": "NotFoundException: error fetching ",
  "data": null
}

So you cannot compare Website data to API data.  I guess you can, but you have to raise in issue with TVDB on their api not returning correct data.

Also appear to be a modification date of 4/3 so the api may have not updated yet also.

Edited by Happy2Play