Emby Premier Costs etc.

ebr

andrewds
25 minutes ago, kikinjo said:

Cant agree on this one. Hasn't been a price change over the years stands, but tell me did we get any new premiere features worth mentioning ? Maybe, maybe not, but main argument is that features that are already premiere are somewhat not stable at all, live tv for example. There are numerous really numerous posts about live tv not working, or working for 2 beta rlses and than all over again from the start... It is really pathetic that emby calls live tv part a premiere feature. It simply is not something to talk about at all from their side and calling it premiere feature is a small insult. I gave up on live tv after 3-4 months because i was not ready to constantly restart whole emby server because live tv was frozen, or stuck, or any other problem you can find on forum in few thousands post on live tv not working.

Emby is no unique product. Plex also "could facilitate piracy" , jellyfin too, and million others. Hiding behind piracy claims here only has one purpose, make more money on premiere and limited number of devices, nothing more. If that wasn't true we would have now control of our devices, we could have control to delete, kick device and management of it in general. No we have some silly explanations and shitload of posts about piracy. Common, we are not kids. If they are so scared of piracy issues, than go code a children book or something, and leave streaming server product. Ok lets talk about piracy, if that is an issue as we read here alot from emby devs...why is there a 75 devices license ?  Why not make it 10 maximum, its a home server and we don't want piracy right ? Whats the difference in these "talks about piracy" when emby is selling 45, 75 devices ? What anti piracy allows up to 75 devices all over 75 is piracy ? There is no logic in any of the explanations, especially when ebr comes to "teach us".

I agree. Realistically the price on premier should go down not up, by at least half if not more. And if they are worried about piracy well then it is time to buy a big ship with lots of cannons. Emby is a USA based company right? That's what the second amendment is for really, big pirate ships with cannons.

• Like 1

scb99
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, andrewds said:

I agree. Realistically the price on premier should go down not up, by at least half if not more. And if they are worried about piracy well then it is time to buy a big ship with lots of cannons. Emby is a USA based company right? That's what the second amendment is for really, big pirate ships with cannons.

Well just my opinion but what is „realistic‘“ about that? Realistic is for me what supports and secures ongoing Emby‘s support and development. And paying market rates for the people doing the work.

The price of premier is trivial when I look at only the support effort I receive here and compare it to what I pay to open a single support case on other software I use.

in my opinion, Emby should charge a premium over Plex to compensate for not monetising its users, as well as the far superior support.

if you want free, use Jellyfin.

Edited by scb99
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

andrewds
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, scb99 said:

Well just my opinion but what is „realistic‘“ about that? Realistic is for me what supports and secures ongoing Emby‘s support and development.

The price of premier is trivial when I look at only the support effort I receive here and compare it to what I pay to open a single support case on other software I use.

in my opinion, Emby should charge a premium over Plex to compensate for not monetising its users, as well as the far superior support.

if you want free, use Jellyfin.

I don't want free. I want to pay a minimum, preferably not enough for the company to be able to compensate its employees well enough to live comfortably. Then, I want to be able to come to this forum for free to complain.

Edited by andrewds
piracy

scb99
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, andrewds said:

I don't want free. I want to pay a minimum, preferably not enough for the company to be able to compensate its employees well enough to live comfortably. Then, I want to be able to come to this forum for free to complain.

i tried to do a crying with laughter emoji but didnt work from my pdone 🙂

Edited by scb99

Q-Droid
3 hours ago, kikinjo said:

Cant agree on this one. Hasn't been a price change over the years stands, but tell me did we get any new premiere features worth mentioning ? Maybe, maybe not, but main argument is that features that are already premiere are somewhat not stable at all, live tv for example. There are numerous really numerous posts about live tv not working, or working for 2 beta rlses and than all over again from the start... It is really pathetic that emby calls live tv part a premiere feature. It simply is not something to talk about at all from their side and calling it premiere feature is a small insult. I gave up on live tv after 3-4 months because i was not ready to constantly restart whole emby server because live tv was frozen, or stuck, or any other problem you can find on forum in few thousands post on live tv not working.

Sure, I can go by posts or by my own experience. Emby is very good and while LiveTV has problems it...works...for...me. At least as much as I need it to. My interpretation of what @ebr posted is that premier features and costs might become somewhat flexible so if you don't want to pay for LiveTV that doesn't work for you that can come off the bill. I could be wrong.

Emby is no unique product. Plex also "could facilitate piracy" , jellyfin too, and million others. Hiding behind piracy claims here only has one purpose, make more money on premiere and limited number of devices, nothing more. If that wasn't true we would have now control of our devices, we could have control to delete, kick device and management of it in general. No we have some silly explanations and shitload of posts about piracy. Common, we are not kids. If they are so scared of piracy issues, than go code a children book or something, and leave streaming server product. Ok lets talk about piracy, if that is an issue as we read here alot from emby devs...why is there a 75 devices license ?  Why not make it 10 maximum, its a home server and we don't want piracy right ? Whats the difference in these "talks about piracy" when emby is selling 45, 75 devices ? What anti piracy allows up to 75 devices all over 75 is piracy ? There is no logic in any of the explanations, especially when ebr comes to "teach us".

Maybe you didn't read my post all the way through or my writing sucks. Whether any of those products actually facilitate piracy is beside the point. Emby wouldn't want to become a target and get removed from app stores so they have to do things a certain way. If Plex weren't already in bed with the media corps they could very well be in their crosshairs. If at some point the 45 and 75 dev licenses become a problem for Emby I'm pretty sure they'd get rid of those too. Lawyers and legal actions cost money so why take the chances.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:45 PM, Q-Droid said:

Sure, I can go by posts or by my own experience. Emby is very good and while LiveTV has problems it...works...for...me. At least as much as I need it to. My interpretation of what @ebr posted is that premier features and costs might become somewhat flexible so if you don't want to pay for LiveTV that doesn't work for you that can come off the bill. I could be wrong.

Maybe you didn't read my post all the way through or my writing sucks. Whether any of those products actually facilitate piracy is beside the point. Emby wouldn't want to become a target and get removed from app stores so they have to do things a certain way. If Plex weren't already in bed with the media corps they could very well be in their crosshairs. If at some point the 45 and 75 dev licenses become a problem for Emby I'm pretty sure they'd get rid of those too. Lawyers and legal actions cost money so why take the chances.

I read your posts very carefully, you are one of ppl here i mostly totally agree 🙂  but not on this topic, that's why i jumped in and replied.
We started by talking about increasing premiere prices, and i responded that for that they should first deliver some things that they promised years back, and on top of that to fix things that they say its a premiere feature and in reality it is alpha stage component, thats live tv, even if it works for your needs that's ok, but look at the number of posts and number of bitching about it in last several years. Think that covers the topic of live tv "premiere" feature. When they fix it (and if they) than they can talk about increased prices.

Secondly, this talk about piracy is so Hypocritical from emby devs, if they care about it as much as they cry about it, ok than lets kill all the licenses, make the emby server 10-15 devices for home users as they continuously market it as "home media server" and 95% of our users are good with defult devices limit. Ok than, kill it, you wont have an issues with pirates, or any other media companies. Why dont they do it @Q-Droid? Well, i m pretty sure you know why they don't want to do it..... 

But lets continue this horror story of emby premiere and devices, sorry but i was so mad last 2 months that i need to type few things here, ill  explain in other post why.
The other day i had a crash on emby server playing music, or to be exact trying to play / shuffle music from my favorites. i mentioned in other post my details since issue from other poster was very similar, also music..also favorites, anyways, luke responds with generic AI response "have you tried our other Andorid app..., see how it compares."
Ok i went installed other android app, always used ATP app, lets check it and compare and see if crash will happen again. Installed app played a bit, discovered new app bla bla...

I need to mentioned that my ATV app was unlocked thru google store and both apps are used on same google profile and on same Sony android TV,  2 days after this new app testing...i login to server and check playback reporting reports and stats, and see that new android app has registered on emby server totally different from ATV app, it registered on Smart TV id model, and registered as another device 🙂  So no matter that i used ATV app on same TV device, no matter that i bought / unlocked ATV app, nooo, new app registered as NEW device on OLD TV device and used premiere device count. 🙂 How nice from our caring emby devs, thank you guys.

This crap with new app was too much, no more money for me ever, i started building new server for jellyfin and day of migration is just a question of time.

• Like 1

Locutus64
On 5/7/2024 at 11:53 AM, scb99 said:
On 5/7/2024 at 11:51 AM, andrewds said:

i tried to do a crying with laughter emoji but didnt work from my pdone 🙂

You mean like this?

CryingGif.gif.61a8293a4147250b81555ee2ef98bc4f.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kikinjo said:

We started by talking about increasing premiere prices, and i responded that for that they should first deliver some things that they promised years back, and on top of that to fix things that they say its a premiere feature and in reality it is alpha stage component, thats live tv, even if it works for your needs that's ok, but look at the number of posts and number of bitching about it in last several years. Think that covers the topic of live tv "premiere" feature. When they fix it (and if they) than they can talk about increased prices.

I can't really argue with this. Premiere features should get premiere attention and effort, they are the money makers. I too wonder why some new obscure feature or "fix" is added within a single beta cycle but other long term and often core foundational ones stay in limbo for years.

1 hour ago, kikinjo said:

Secondly, this talk about piracy is so Hypocritical from emby devs, if they care about it as much as they cry about it, ok than lets kill all the licenses, make the emby server 10-15 devices for home users as they continuously market it as "home media server" and 95% of our users are good with defult devices limit. Ok than, kill it, you wont have an issues with pirates, or any other media companies. Why dont they do it @Q-Droid? Well, i m pretty sure you know why they don't want to do it..... 

I've said all I need about this but I'll repeat that I don't think the Emby team's motive is greed. Maybe I'm soft and too easy on them.

2 hours ago, kikinjo said:

I need to mentioned that my ATV app was unlocked thru google store and both apps are used on same google profile and on same Sony android TV,  2 days after this new app testing...i login to server and check playback reporting reports and stats, and see that new android app has registered on emby server totally different from ATV app, it registered on Smart TV id model, and registered as another device 🙂  So no matter that i used ATV app on same TV device, no matter that i bought / unlocked ATV app, nooo, new app registered as NEW device on OLD TV device and used premiere device count. 🙂 How nice from our caring emby devs, thank you guys.

Yeah, attention to detail matters and this kind of stuff is pretty sloppy. More so when there's a cost and unseen "penalty" that the user can't do anything to correct.

I've never been a fan of how the devices are tracked and the info kept hidden. It didn't seem necessary to me but also felt like I understood why the Emby team does it. Maybe poor execution of a needed safeguard? All in all it's a small part of what Emby offers and most users care about. There are many many other things to fix, features to add and people to make unhappy. 

The corporate world is full of sharks and I don't believe that Emby is one of them. Which is why I posted because it felt like a pile-on for the wrong reasons even when the complaints themselves are legitimate. I get my money's worth from Emby and will stick around until I don't.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1