Update the Apple TV Emby App

nicholas_davies

nicholas_davies

I know this is easier said than done, but could the Apple TV app for Emby get updated so it’s like the Emby app on the Fire Stick. It's specifically lacking the option to see when the movie will end while you’re playing the movie. You also can’t see the cast of the movie while playing the movie like you can with the Fire Stick. There are other options missing but those are the most important two that I think would be very beneficial. 

• Agree 1

Hi, yes we are working on getting it caught up to our other apps. Thanks for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...
HouseOfCards
On 3/17/2024 at 9:27 PM, nicholas_davies said:

I know this is easier said than done, but could the Apple TV app for Emby get updated so it’s like the Emby app on the Fire Stick. It's specifically lacking the option to see when the movie will end while you’re playing the movie. You also can’t see the cast of the movie while playing the movie like you can with the Fire Stick. There are other options missing but those are the most important two that I think would be very beneficial. 

I also came here to express the same sentiment.

I recently added a TV to a spare room, and to avoid buying an Apple TV I just installed Emby from the LG Store.  I couldn't believe how much better the app is on the cheap TV, vs. the app for the very popular Apple TV.  I couldn't believe how much better the interface was, the available backdrop features, layouts, color themes, etc...  After seeing that, the Apple TV app is now garbage to me.  LOL

I know @Lukesaid they are working on it, but... I can't imagine we could get a little hint?

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, HouseOfCards said:

I also came here to express the same sentiment.

I recently added a TV to a spare room, and to avoid buying an Apple TV I just installed Emby from the LG Store.  I couldn't believe how much better the app is on the cheap TV, vs. the app for the very popular Apple TV.  I couldn't believe how much better the interface was, the available backdrop features, layouts, color themes, etc...  After seeing that, the Apple TV app is now garbage to me.  LOL

I know @Lukesaid they are working on it, but... I can't imagine we could get a little hint?

hi, what do you mean by layouts? Layout-wise, Emby for apple TV is pretty much the same as our other apps.

Kyouma

I would also love to see the apple tv app getting updated with the features the fire tv stick already has.

Recently made the switch from fire tv to the apple tv and I'm missing some features like, having a dedicated button to start the next episode, being able to jump directly to a letter when scrolling through my library, or having an easier access to the chapters. Just to name a few.

nicholas_davies
1 minute ago, Kyouma said:

I would also love to see the apple tv app getting updated with the features the fire tv stick already has.

Recently made the switch from fire tv to the apple tv and I'm missing some features like, having a dedicated button to start the next episode, being able to jump directly to a letter when scrolling through my library, or having an easier access to the chapters. Just to name a few.

Yes, those features were very nice to have on the Firestick app. The media player UI is greatly lacking on the Apple TV app in comparison to the Apple TV's. 

HouseOfCards
On 4/14/2024 at 8:41 PM, Luke said:

What do you mean by layouts? Layout-wise, Emby for apple TV is pretty much the same as our other apps.

These are the only "Display" options on the Apple TV.

Options.thumb.jpg.fedd0d61b50a654745593531fda91205.jpg

We don't even have a section for the "Home Screen" where we can decide what sections to show.  In contrast, the LG version has much more.

IMG_4508.thumb.jpg.3c76bd0488eaa18ea05b5d99ad817008.jpgIMG_4509.thumb.jpg.54675e6ac0ee62115e09361313c38af6.jpg

These small options make for a big difference in the display...  Coupled with the option for background art, color theme support, etc...

IMG_4505.thumb.jpg.cd9551fa180aa90295f84128fec1cb49.jpgIMG_4506.thumb.jpg.170afd08609bda5fe4330b366614c57e.jpgIMG_4507.thumb.jpg.821a74962f88bb3f6a86c1053ddbdbc5.jpg

On the Apple TV... this, and only this.  Layout, colors, etc....

IMG_4511.thumb.jpg.c6a9fccfa976f066fea8553575b303d5.jpg

I also find the Apple TV app to have numerous quirks, such as occasionally playing only audio with a blank screen.  A reboot of the Apple TV fixes the video until the next time it happens...  I also find numerous black screens in the navigation.  For example, after I back away from the "play next episode" screen, it doesn't go back to the detail screen for the show.  I go to a blank screen and have to press "back" once more to go to the detail screen.  It's as if the app is expecting a screen that the server isn't providing.  

There's no left-hand navigation menu, only settings on the top menu in the Apple TV app...  I'm sure there are other differences, but these are the biggest ones.  I knew that people said the Apple TV was far behind the other apps, but I never realized how badly until I used a different app.  After using the others, I really see how far behind it is.  If you need anything else, I'm here as always...

Thanks!!

• Thanks 1

nicholas_davies

Another quirk of the Apple TV app is that it will tell you when the movie ends, but not while you're playing the movie. Just on this screen

image.thumb.png.3cda74546c3891e0bb94da460cea9817.png

However, (at least last time I checked) the end time on this screen does not update as time progresses. It stays at the exacts same time. For example if it says the movie ends at 1:56 pm and it's say 12:00 pm, then at 12:01 pm the end time doesn't change to 1:57 pm as it should. Hopefully that makes sense :)

• Thanks 2

HouseOfCards

Oh, and by the way...  In the Apple TV app there is no "Songs" section in a music library.  This means that I cannot go to the songs tab and select shuffle.  It literally provides access to the music library without a way of just playing all your songs.  You have to select an album, playlist, artist or something else specific. 

So yeah...  A media player that can't shuffle your music.  I just thought these were things that weren't implemented yet, but you certainly can shuffle songs on the other apps.  So this app certainly has a way to go...

On 4/16/2024 at 1:15 PM, HouseOfCards said:

We don't even have a section for the "Home Screen" where we can decide what sections to show.

Hi.  In case you don't realize it, this is a global user option.  You set it once (anywhere) and the settings follow you to all the apps.  So, you can use the web app or your phone to set this one time, and the Apple TV app will display the sections you chose.

HouseOfCards
On 4/18/2024 at 7:56 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  In case you don't realize it, this is a global user option.  You set it once (anywhere) and the settings follow you to all the apps.  So, you can use the web app or your phone to set this one time, and the Apple TV app will display the sections you chose.

Yes, I realize that.  I was just pointing out that you can't set it within the Apple TV app itself.  👍

• Thanks 1

shoodidagen

Having just moved to Apple TV. 
I've just managed to eat a whole 12” pizza and then search for this thread, then write this comment whilst waiting for a film to start playing (I plan on posting my own case for it as soon as I can get logs, etc).