Live TV not playing on ROKU devices

rookslide

rookslide

Since the latest update we have been unable to stream live OTA channels to our ROKU devices.  The only change has been the update to EMBY. 

Our OTA is streamed through a HDHomerun Extend which has worked fine for years. 

The Roku simply shows the spinner as if the show were starting then doesn't actually start. The spinner continues to look as though it were buffering or something, stops for a second or two and you think  the show is about to start but then it starts spinning again and never starts.

To complicate matters the same thing is happening when I try to play a Live TV stream over the network to another PC in the house which I've never had a problem with. It fails outright on the pc the spinner doesn't keep starting over it just fails and kicks me out to the guide.

Again to complicate things further when I try to stream to my iphone it plays just fine. This happens both through the house network and remote network. So something is preventing playback just to the Roku and PC devices in the house network.

I am running the server on a linux box, headless. I only get on it when I have to do an update. I run Arch linux, so I will need to make sure there hasn't been some other update that broke anything on the system but I've never had a problem with this since converting to Arch on my server in roughly five or so years so I don't think I will find any issues there but I will verify that when I get the chance. The pc I am trying to view live tv on is also a linux machine running Arch. I normally maintain my server setup from this other unit and have no issues but since the last update live tv is now dead...

The thing is if there were something strange going on with permissions or something then I would think I couldn't stream to the iphone as well as the pc's and ROKU's but that isn't the case. So I believe the server PC is operating fine and there is a change to the EMBY server app that is causing the problem... 

Recorded TV and the movie library stream fine. This is only happening with Live TV...

I have attached the logs. The last four attempts at play back are a failed playback to a ROKU device, failed playback to PC, successful playback to iphone both local network and remote. 

I hope I get feedback as it stopped entirely on another thread I had interjected myself into as I am not the only one with playback issues on ROKU since the new update...

Honestly, if it were just me I wouldn't know it wasn't streaming live tv I almost never watch it. However, my wife watches it daily, DAILY. In the morning getting ready for work. In the evenings for local news, occasionally other shows she likes available OTA. So you can imagine how often I am being asked if there is any progress on this...

Please help if you can.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-27ff977d-0d5c-48ce-ac6c-b2b5fe0d20d0_1.txt

Edited by rookslide
Added info about recorded tv and movie streaming working fine and tags.

rookslide

Upon closer review of the log files I am seeing several ffmpeg-transcode files that all have time stamps very close to each other I believe this is my trying to stream to each device in succession but I'm not sure... I have attached all these logs on this response in case it helps... 

The initial post only had the last ffmpeg-transcode file I saw on the list at that time.

I hope this helps

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7e568925-f90c-4c11-a83d-cbaa305da1d8_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-27ff977d-0d5c-48ce-ac6c-b2b5fe0d20d0_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-92d52b06-f789-4698-aec5-5334b9dd8ae1_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-49595610-212e-463f-a6ee-764832e80be9_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a7d6a11c-9f48-4024-a346-31e937423186_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b83392e1-0f7c-4927-b0eb-722a3680af4a_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ce759bca-7d46-460f-8ff5-aeb36f7a2625_1.txt

5 hours ago, rookslide said:

the same thing is happening when I try to play a Live TV stream over the network to another PC

Hi.  So this same issue is occurring with the web app?

Hi, please let us know if the 4.8.3 release helps, once available for your platform. Thanks.

rookslide
Posted (edited)

Sorry so late with response... It's been a long day already...

Yes it is working now on all my platforms. When I did the update I believe it updated from emby-server-4.8.1.0-1 to emby-server-4.8.1.0-4 and that has fixed the Live TV issue. The Application sees that there is a newer update available but pacman isn't seeing it. I don't get it... 

Two oddities still exist that I don't understand.

I updated emby-server as directed for Arch. Oh and thank you for getting it available through a pacman update rather than downloading and updating manually. I noticed this on the update that wrecked my live tv but didn't know if it was a significant point.

It says it is

Version 4.8.1.0

Emby Server 4.8.3.0 is Available for  (etcetera)

but when I try to update it through pacman it only wants to reinstall emby-server-4.8.1.0-4

[#####@ArchEBMY ~]$ sudo pacman -S emby-server
warning: emby-server-4.8.1.0-4 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) emby-server-4.8.1.0-4

Total Installed Size:  68.57 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

I dunno why...  

The other oddity is under the advanced flag for Live TV the "Default Recording Folder" has a folder I've never selected for television recording at all and it won't let me change it. It acts like it is a drop down selection but only the one folder is available and nothing else. I can't even default it to nothing just that one folder I've never used for this purpose. 

The Movie recording and Series recording folders are set correctly and even have drop-down options but not the Default one, it's locked in.

Aside from that everything appears to be working correctly now, thank you very much for whatever magic you worked in the package. It is much appreciated. I can live with these two odd issues as they don't appear to affect my viewing experience.

I plan to have her OTA favorite show on and waiting for the wife when she gets home from work. It will be a very pleasant surprise for her.

Thank you all very much I really do appreciate all your work!

Edited by rookslide
  • Thanks 1

The Movie recording and Series recording folders are set correctly and even have drop-down options but not the Default one, it's locked in.

What do you mean by it's locked in?

rookslide

I mean when I click on the folder selection (down arrow) the only choice available is the folder it is currently set to. No other folders are even selectible. The other two settings look identical but when I click the down arrow for those two options (Movies and Series) I have all my folders to select from and of course they are on the correct folders already so I don't need to change them but the Default Recording folder has a folder selected that I have never used as a default folder and I can't change it. 

The drop down acts like there should be other folders to choose from but only the one folder is there to select. It is weird, I don't remember this setting being wrong before but since the Live TV issue I've been checking settings and found the setting for this folder was wrong. Is there a config file somewhere where I could reset this option? I don't see any way to change it. I've even gone so far as to remove my TV source and guide data, restart the server and then added the source again but the setting doesn't reset to a blank or anything it just comes back as it was before set to the wrong folder.

Again, it's not breaking anything I am aware of. It is just very strange that I can't change the setting...

Ok wow... Reading is a marvelous skill... I just figured it out... The folder it is grabbing is the only one I have set to mixed content... 

I remember now having to change the folder after adding some television and movies together in it and didn't want to separate them so I re-did the library as mixed content and that is the only folder I have set like this so EMBY is seeing this and grabbing it as the Default Recording Folder. I don't see options because there aren't any other mixed content folders.

Well there is one oddity explained. My fault...

Thanks for asking, you made me think. Not my strongest suit today.

• Thanks 1

I mean when I click on the folder selection (down arrow) the only choice available is the folder it is currently set to. No other folders are even selectible.

@rookslide

Hi, does the help text underneath the option explain why only certain library folders show up there?

rookslide
Posted (edited)

Yep it did, I just hadn't read it thoroughly so like I said Reading is a marvelous skill... I just wasn't doing it...

Oh and the update to Emby Server 4.8.3.0 finally showed up today too! Works good so far!

Thanks all!

Edited by rookslide
  • Thanks 1