[TrueNAS]: How to Upgrade to Official v4.8.0.80 Release?

lagarto_san
Go to solution Solved by adrianwi,

lagarto_san

Hi,

I'm running Emby server in a TrueNAS Core[1]. I'm not using the community-driven plugin-based jail[2]. Rather, I ran the TrueNAS setup commands, found here, which setup an empty jail. The server's up and running. However, it's not at the latest version. The dashboard page shows this at the top:

image.png.b671aaaceab8297b96594e1b8053db9b.png

The link for the latest version take you to the downloads page, which, for TrueNAS, takes you back to the same installation page link included above. Note that the command to install was run several days after the official 4.8 release. I haven't found any commands to upgrade an existing Emby instance from within its own jail, other than trying the pkg update and pkg upgrade commands, from this other thread. This is my system's output:

root@emby:~ # pkg update && pkg upgrade
Updating plugin-default repository catalogue...
plugin-default repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Updating database digests format: 100%
Checking for upgrades (1 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (1 candidates): 100%
The following 4 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
aribb24: 1.0.4
chromaprint: 1.5.1.20221217_1
libraw: 0.21.2

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
emby-server: 4.7.14.0_1 -> 4.7.14.0_10

Number of packages to be installed: 3
Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

The operation will free 50 MiB.
50 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[emby] [1/4] Fetching emby-server-4.7.14.0_10.pkg: 100%   50 MiB  17.4MB/s    00:03
[emby] [2/4] Fetching aribb24-1.0.4.pkg: 100%   37 KiB  37.9kB/s    00:01
[emby] [3/4] Fetching libraw-0.21.2.pkg: 100%  574 KiB 588.1kB/s    00:01
[emby] [4/4] Fetching chromaprint-1.5.1.20221217_1.pkg: 100%   55 KiB  56.3kB/s    00:01
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
[emby] [1/4] Installing aribb24-1.0.4...
[emby] [1/4] Extracting aribb24-1.0.4: 100%
root@emby:~ # 

As you can see, it upgraded from 4.7.14.0_1 to 4.7.14.0_10. What's the correct command to safely upgrade the existing instance to 4.8.0.80?

Thanks.

[1]: FreeBSD-based, AFAIK. It's version 13.0-U6.1.
[2]: Bad experiences and also, more recently, ran into this forum post re the bad state of plugins in general.

Edited by lagarto_san
Add link

Hi, the links in the post install script were still pointing to 4.7. I've just updated it. Can you please try it again? Thanks.

lagarto_san
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, the links in the post install script were still pointing to 4.7. I've just updated it. Can you please try it again? Thanks.

Hi. I ran the pkg update/upgrade commands again, but they didn't do anything:

root@emby:~ # pkg update && pkg upgrade
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.
root@emby:~ #

Do I have to run some other command in addition to those? I tried clearing the local cache with pkg clean, but it made no difference.

Thanks.

Edited by lagarto_san
Add note about pkg clean

• Solution
adrianwi
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.8.0.80/emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.80_amd64.pkg

This should work, assuming everything else is up to date

• Like 1

lagarto_san
1 hour ago, adrianwi said:
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.8.0.80/emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.80_amd64.pkg

This should work, assuming everything else is up to date

Hi, @adrianwi, how can I verify that assumption is true? What happens if I try that and that assumption is not true?

adrianwi

If you've run pkg update and pkg upgrade in the jail, you should be all good.  I always take a snapshot of my jail before running any updates, so if the worst happens and it doesn't restart I can just roll it back.  I had no problems updating from 4.7.14.0 to 4.8.0.80 on TrueNAS Core 13.0-U6.

• Thanks 1

lagarto_san
On 2/6/2024 at 6:40 AM, adrianwi said:

If you've run pkg update and pkg upgrade in the jail, you should be all good.  I always take a snapshot of my jail before running any updates, so if the worst happens and it doesn't restart I can just roll it back.  I had no problems updating from 4.7.14.0 to 4.8.0.80 on TrueNAS Core 13.0-U6.

Hi @adrianwi, that worked. I was able to successfully upgrade to 4.8.1. I did have to restart the whole jail since, for some reason, the service restart emby-server command wasn't enough, even though the console messages were saying the service was actually stopping/starting. Moreover, I'm not sure why the original pkg update && pkg upgrade commands failed to to do their thing with the emby package (including a few minutes ago) even after the reference fix by @Luke. Is something else missing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Baenwort

The reason the Pkg upgrade didn't do anything is that the newest Emby version isn't in the package tree for FreeBSD 13 yet. You can see that at: https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server/ so until pkg catches up you'll have to manually download the package from the Emby developers and install that (this is what  @adrianwigave the command to do)

18 hours ago, Baenwort said:

The reason the Pkg upgrade didn't do anything is that the newest Emby version isn't in the package tree for FreeBSD 13 yet. You can see that at: https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server/ so until pkg catches up you'll have to manually download the package from the Emby developers and install that (this is what  @adrianwigave the command to do)

Hi, yes hopefully it will be in there soon. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
jkdebuhr

I just tried to to the update / upgrade and is broke my install..

I tried to install a new Plugin but that also failed.. I assume the current still works on Truenas Core?

On 4/6/2024 at 4:15 PM, jkdebuhr said:

I just tried to to the update / upgrade and is broke my install..

I tried to install a new Plugin but that also failed.. I assume the current still works on Truenas Core?

Hi there, what exactly happened? Can you please describe your issue in more detail? Thanks.

jkdebuhr

I did the pkg update && pkg upgrade and the server no longer runs..  Honestly I am not sure what happened. To be honest I use ChannelsDVR as well and it broke the week prior. 

I find out now that TrueNAS Core wil not get uopdated past a certain verison so right now, I have Emby running off ofo an older MacBook Pro and I use TrueNAS for file storage..

jkdebuhr

so I tried to install a new Plugin on my TrueNAS install

Trying the Beta got me the attached Error

image.png.3b2a31d6b82ff9e554862bb1b0eef063.png

Trying the Stable plugin:

image.png.742337bfd7b3a2260fa34750cac40250.png

adrianwi

Don't use the Plugins!  It's really easy to get emby up and running in a TrueNAS Jail that will run and update for many years to come (well, at least as long as TrueNAS is supported)

15 hours ago, jkdebuhr said:

so I tried to install a new Plugin on my TrueNAS install

Trying the Beta got me the attached Error

image.png.3b2a31d6b82ff9e554862bb1b0eef063.png

Trying the Stable plugin:

image.png.742337bfd7b3a2260fa34750cac40250.png

Hi, can you try again?

jkdebuhr
11 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Don't use the Plugins!  It's really easy to get emby up and running in a TrueNAS Jail that will run and update for many years to come (well, at least as long as TrueNAS is supported)

Got  some Directions for setting it up without the plugin?

8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you try again?

Same erroe

lagarto_san
10 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Unfortunately, this is unreasonable advice, even if it happens to be technically correct.

The fact that the app is listed as an available plugin explicitly communicates to users that it should just work. If the team doesn't want this, then the team should take steps to have it removed from the list. This may be the most important factor here.

Additionally, saying it's "easy" to set up is relative and rarely helpful. For example, not everyone knows what to do after SSHing into a remote box —or even what SSH is. They're just expecting the available "push-button" solutions to work as they've been led to believe they do. Also, your guide, while helpful, shows it's anything but "easy" 🙂

adrianwi

Call it whatever advice you like, but the plugins on TrueNAS and FreeNAS before that have never been a reliable way of running services in FreeBSD jails.  Any of them!

You might not like that, but that's just the way it has been for the last 10 years or so, and given the future direction of iXsystems that's not likely to change either.  Crying about it on here certianly won't change anything.

If you don't want to learn, very little in life is easy, but relatively speaking getting emby running in a FreeBSD jail on TrueNAS really won't take much effort if you wanted to get it to work reliably, like it has for me over the last 5 years or so.  

There are some even "easier" instructions here > https://emby.media/truenas-server.html

4 lines which you can copy into a TrueNAS shell, although I'd prefer to understand what it was doing and perhaps learn a little that I could apply again in the future.  Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

lagarto_san
6 hours ago, Luke said:

@lagarto_sanhas this helped?

Hi @Luke, there might be some confusion here. I don't have a particular technical problem that needs solving at this time. I was just posting a reply to what was said previously, especially regarding the plugin situation, since that's what most users, especially the non-technical ones, will see and try to get to work first —i.e. the "push-button" solution.

• Thanks 1

hjason7812
On 4/16/2024 at 3:14 AM, lagarto_san said:

Hi @Luke, there might be some confusion here. I don't have a particular technical problem that needs solving at this time. I was just posting a reply to what was said previously, especially regarding the plugin situation, since that's what most users, especially the non-technical ones, will see and try to get to work first —i.e. the "push-button" solution.

my suggestion is to make an easy install guide to help the ones that can't do it on their own. i have even had some issues doing emby install on truenas and have been using it for years..