One time password for initial login

Q-Droid

Q-Droid

I searched but couldn't find a similar request. If one exists with or without all of the options below then please lock this one and point me in that direction.

Now that all users are required to login with username and password at least once on each app/device it would be nice to have the option to use a one time password (OTP) for the initial login on any device but mainly TV apps and streaming devices where it's difficult to enter long strings. It doesn't need to be limited to initial login but should at least allow that.

1. Allow any user who is already logged in to an app or browser to generate a one time 4-6 character OTP for themselves to enter on a new app/device in order to login on said app. This would only log them into their account using the single OTP.

2. Allow an admin account to generate an OTP for any specified user to login. This would be useful for Emby admins to help remote users, particularly those who have difficulty with apps and on screen keyboard-remote combinations. Or to help household users while away from home...

3. The generated OTP would be associated with the corresponding user, either self or assigned by admin. No need to enter or select name on the app login screen, the OTP would suffice.

4. The OTP should be created with a short time to live, either fixed or configurable.

I don't know enough about Emby Connect to suggest how it should/could work for those users.

EDIT: Evidently Jellyfin has a similar feature called Quick Connect but I don't know if it also has the ability for admins to generate codes.

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Savagegek

+1 for specific part 1, for users logging in on devices with a OTP.

As said jellyfin also uses such a feature which works so much better then logging in with your credentials.

• Thanks 1

bluebiscuit

Just had to create an account to add to this thread, would love to see a system as Q-Droid mentions but also would like to add an option

Imagine a device without easy (or any) access to keyboard - say a primitive TV set-top-box with up/down/left/right/select controls only

I've seen cloud login systems where the device simply displays a one-time time-limited code (retrieved from Emby server) e.g. six-eight digits, and a logged in user on Emby website can enter/authenticate the code - which allows the device access

The idea here is the device needs no user interaction at all and all user interaction is done on the more friendly Emby website

For context, I use Kodi/Emby plugin - so I guess Kodi would need to be updated too, but that doesn't prevent Emby from offering the service

First post, just like to take the opportunity to thank the developers and forum members for great product and support

/Greg

Edited by bluebiscuit
Mentioned Kodi/Emby plugin

3 hours ago, bluebiscuit said:

I've seen cloud login systems where the device simply displays a one-time time-limited code (retrieved from Emby server) e.g. six-eight digits, and a logged in user on Emby website can enter/authenticate the code - which allows the device access

The idea here is the device needs no user interaction at all and all user interaction is done on the more friendly Emby website

Hi.  We have this already with Emby Connect

bluebiscuit
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We have this already with Emby Connect

Really? Cool, OK, let me check that out. Thanks

9 hours ago, bluebiscuit said:

Really? Cool, OK, let me check that out. Thanks

HI, please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Savagegek

Will implementing a (T)OTP login option for the clients without the use of a emby connect account be on the roadmap?

"Avoiding" cloud services, was 1 of the reasons I went using Emby.