Changing EmbyServer version kills Jellyseer access

ScottHoffmanTes
Go to solution Solved by jaycedk,

ScottHoffmanTes

Hi!

On unraid 6.12.6  using Emby server docker from emby. I sometimes change to beta version and if I do that or go back to latest my enitre emby install has to be done again, adding my key then installing the backup and restore plugin then waiting for my metadata to repopulate etc. 

1st question: why do my users have to drop the "old" server or why does it not create the same server from backup? Is it the docker ID?

I run Jellyseer as well in a docker, works great! Again, if I change my EmbyServer version from latest to beta or back Jellyseer will let me in with my EmbyAdmin but all the abilities are gone, I can't add/edit users or run scans

2nd question: how can I "reconnect" Jellyseer to Emby without reinstalling everything?

BTW love all the recent change; what started this request for help is that wanted to update to the beta version to get the updated backup and thats when I realized that I couldn't see the old backups, so I went back to latest stable and realized that my whole server setup had to be redone even when I restored my backup...

I hope all that makes sense...

Thanks

Scott

Hello ScottHoffmanTes,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

jaycedk

If you updated to Emby Server BETA, you can't just downgrade it to stable again.

There are too many database differences between them.

And that's most likely your issue.

The backup your are talking about, is that the backup from inside Emby ?

Or is it a backup of your appdate in Unraid for you Emby server, prier to upgrade to Emby Beta ?

Edited by jaycedk

ScottHoffmanTes

Understood the database issues between BETA and STABLE..

The backup and restore plugin from within Embyserver, yes.  I do use the appdata backup option but that is for last resort and is NOT what I am using here in this discussion.

So, you are saying that when my users try to connect and they see a different server (2 server options, with one dead) it is because the database has differences, even after I restore from backup? Even with same name, IPs, accounts, passwords, etc?

Also, if I want to try the beta (on the same hardware in place of my current stable version) I will have to reconfigure everything from scratch, as it appears that the older backups are not picked up by the beta backup plugin?

Finally, how does any of that keep me from managing Jellyseer, acutally requiring me to remove all JS settings and data from unraid and then reinstall from scratch?

Thanks

• Solution
jaycedk
43 minutes ago, ScottHoffmanTes said:

So, you are saying that when my users try to connect and they see a different server (2 server options, with one dead) it is because the database has differences, even after I restore from backup? Even with same name, IPs, accounts, passwords, etc?

I believe so yes, if you are importing a backup from Beta to Stable, there are a lot of differences, between those.

Your best bet is Appdata backup, and restore that.
Then there are no differences between versions.

43 minutes ago, ScottHoffmanTes said:

Also, if I want to try the beta (on the same hardware in place of my current stable version) I will have to reconfigure everything from scratch, as it appears that the older backups are not picked up by the beta backup plugin?

Here I think your are also correct, but then I would install the beta along side of stable, but with a different port/ports.

Also make sure that only one of then is writing data to your media folders.

You might experience an endless loop of library scans, done by both, as that correct each other.

You could probably try and make a copy of your stable Appdata to a new folder, for your new beta.

Since you can go up, but not down in versions.

Never tried that, tbh.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

jaycedk
57 minutes ago, ScottHoffmanTes said:

Finally, how does any of that keep me from managing Jellyseer, acutally requiring me to remove all JS settings and data from unraid and then reinstall from scratch?

As for this. I have no clue.

Do they even support Emby beta let alone support 2 servers at a time ?

Guess the answer is here [Feature Request] Simultaneous multiple auth methods · Issue #100 · Fallenbagel/jellyseerr (github.com)

jaycedk

Just to add to this.

If you decide to run stable and beta, do it with different appdata folders.

Using the same folder is a sure failure. 

• Facepalm 1

ScottHoffmanTes

Okay, that helps... I am going to try appdata restore as I think BETA and STABLE are stored in/as different folders/containers... I think there must also be some sort of serial number or hash for each install which would explain why Jellyseer doesn't recognize that emby is even there, so using appdata backup might work.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, I hope!

No, Jellyseer supports multiple Radarr/Sonarr servers but only one media platform at a time.

• Like 1

I would suggest reporting this to them so that they can make their software 4.8 compatible. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

ScottHoffmanTes
2 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Just to add to this.

If you decide to run stable and beta, do it with different appdata folders.

Using the same folder is a sure failure. 

LOL, yeah I was thinking that very thought! I won't use both at same time, I sometimes switch because I want a feature that Luke and team has added but something else breaks or is altered and so I go back... Using internal backup/restore won't work but appdata backup might.

• Agree 1

ScottHoffmanTes

@jaycedkI have not tested with the latest Emby BETA but past versions have worked. When the adult scraper was added, I tried out the BETA and used it with Jellyseer. I will be setting up the latest Emby BETA and will let you know.

ScottHoffmanTes
20 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

I use this weekly to ensure that i have an backup of appdate, and not just a 1 off backup.

[Plugin] Appdata.Backup - Plugin Support - Unraid 

Yep, that is the one that I use as well, just updated to that one a few months back..

Saved my bacon from being bitten off by the wife once or twice..lol

After that, I setup an rsync script to include at least 1 instance of backup per month to a cold storage drive I have at work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
BlackDub
On 04/01/2024 at 19:58, jaycedk said:

@ScottHoffmanTesDid jellyseer work with your Emby beta server ?

For me its working in last beta

Edited by BlackDub
  • Thanks 1