Samsung dex black screen while watching videos

Super1

tuckjordan20

Hi, I'd also like to know whether this is resolved. I'm currently using the web browser to access emby on dex as the app isn't working on a usb-c monitor. It works fine using Dex on a Windows PC.

mrsmithb

FWIW, I've had the same problem for quite some time. Maybe a year ago or more, emby would play properly on dex, the only issue was that the cursor was hidden when navigating the emby app. At some point I ran into the same black screen issue. Media "plays", sound works properly, but no video. Interestingly enough, I also have the same problem now with emby through my web browser when on Dex. My solution had been to use the Emby for Android TV app. That one actually worked on Dex and played media properly. However the most recent version I noticed that it repeatedly crashes on Dex, within a few minutes of starting any video. I just now rolled back to version 2.0.90, and I am again able to watch emby videos over Dex.

• 4 weeks later...
nurgemedia

Hello All,

I am resurfacing this.

I just checked Emby on DeX for my external monitor and the screen still blacks out.
I've tried wireless to my DeX app on my computer and it works fine.
Attached to my Xreal Air 2 Pro glasses it's blacked out as well.
I have the latest server and apps running.

Are there any updates on this issue?

Have you tried the "old dex" that's mentioned here:

Also is the phone screen off when this happens?

tOLJY

Also happens on my TCL tv so surely that means it's a software issue not exclusive to a bit of hardware?

33 minutes ago, tOLJY said:

Also happens on my TCL tv so surely that means it's a software issue not exclusive to a bit of hardware?

You're using Samsung Dex with your TCL?

tOLJY

No, I've been on here for months saying it not only happens on Dex but also on my TCL Tv running the android build.

I don't even know what dex is, but the issue is exactly the same.

3 hours ago, tOLJY said:

No, I've been on here for months saying it not only happens on Dex but also on my TCL Tv running the android build.

I don't even know what dex is, but the issue is exactly the same.

Right OK, so your issue is entirely different. Please open a separate topic so that we can help you with your issue. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, tOLJY said:

Always has been seperate 

You guys merged the threads

OK, looking at your previous posts in this topic, not much info was provided other than referencing this topic and saying that you were having the same issue, so I can see why it got merged. It wasn't until much later that it was finally revealed that you're on a TCL and not Samsung Dex. So we're very happy to help but please make sure to provide as much detail as you can. 

JGCryer

Any updates yet, I too have this issue, and am curious as to what is taking so long for this issue.

I installed plex and it worked no problem out of the box, now I can nott stand using plex, but it works.

Is there an eta on a fix?

On 4/6/2024 at 5:26 PM, JGCryer said:

Any updates yet, I too have this issue, and am curious as to what is taking so long for this issue.

I installed plex and it worked no problem out of the box, now I can nott stand using plex, but it works.

Is there an eta on a fix?

Hi, we are looking into it. Thanks.

Super1

Hello, 

I wanted to say that this problem happened when android updated from OperatingSystem 12 to OS 13:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/117729-samsung-dex/

You fixed it then. But when the OS updated again to OS 14 or Samsungs one UI 6. The problem occured again. 

When using emby in Samsung dex i get black screen while watching videos. Sound is ok. 

Your app i supposed to have a function that makes the phone screen go pitch black when there are 2 displays (phone's display and connected display). But both display are dark when your app is playing in Samsung DEX mode. 

When i am not using dex but only screen mirroring phone to monitor display i get black screen on mobile phone and monitor is playing video like it is supposed to. 

A lot of time has passed. Please just fix it. 

JGCryer
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we are looking into it. Thanks.

You know I get that, but the fact that if this wasn't your software, and a New car, and you had the car in the shop since say December until now and they kept saying they are looking into it.  Wouldn't you get a little upset just hearing that with out an explination of the current issue and what they have found so far and what they are trying to do to fix it?  Since there isn't a ticketing system  in place we as the users/general public can see and the tech its attached to, and whats been tried so far. isn't too much to ask for.  Looking at all the issues that are in these forums and the replys that are given and the default we are looking into it, along with there being no clear roadmap to the past present and future of the ap.  It is hard for me as a user to determine if I want to continue to pay to use your app. 

I am not complaining knowing that it takes time, to determine and to isolate the issue or any issue and then test after a fix is thought of and put in place, to see what else it might break.  I get it.  Its just frustrating to get no updates on the issue from your side to us to determine if we want to continue to spend the money on the emby member ship, or to just cut the cord and use ssh over tftp to play the content on our servers/computers and by pass the great software and the benefits that you have brought to the table, just to make it work.

I never is the server side software its always the players that seem to break things.  Each is unique for the different OS's and then unique again for the different versions of those said OS's.  So its got to be hard to keep everything working correctly.

Thanks

nurgemedia
On 4/3/2024 at 8:06 PM, Luke said:

No, I do not have the "old DeX" option and I don't see the interface described in that thread. When I open the DeX settings there is no option to set a default DeX type.
The phone screen is on so I can use it as a trackpad.

Super1
On 4/4/2024 at 2:06 AM, Luke said:

I am only using old dex. New dex isnt so good.

JGCryer

I do not have the option to use the old dex, as dex is part of the samsung ui on android 14.  I have tried side loading the older versions of dex and get the reply this software is not comparable, with your current OS  message.