Nokia Lumia 930 thoughts please

Cheesegeezer

techywarrior

Do you have the browser set to desktop mode or mobile mode?

I haven't encountered what you describe (perhaps by virtue of the websites I happen to visit) and I keep the browser in desktop mode.

There is also a handy "reading mode" button (looks like an open book) that will appear in the address bar of some sites. This will render the content without all the ads, graphics, extra crap, etc. which is really handy.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Do you have the browser set to desktop mode or mobile mode?

I haven't encountered what you describe (perhaps by virtue of the websites I happen to visit) and I keep the browser in desktop mode.

There is also a handy "reading mode" button (looks like an open book) that will appear in the address bar of some sites. This will render the content without all the ads, graphics, extra crap, etc. which is really handy.

Yeah, it's in desktop mode, thing is it's a real irritation, because my iphone and ipad never encountered this.

It's supposed to be IE (oh..... I just answered my own gripe there) so it should do what a browser should do..... am I right? and there is no chrome browser, just chrync for syncing bookmarks.

Chrome on the ipad has just been updated and it's really nice.... i think i miss my iphone :(

techywarrior

Yes, IE on WP8 is supposed to basically be the same as IE10 on desktop.

(side note. Chrome/FF/Opera/etc. on iPhone is just a custom skin on top of iOS's Safari Webkit engine. Same for WP. If they made Chrome for WP8 it would just be a Chrome skin on top of the Trident engine)

I'd be curious to see what you are seeing, so if the websites aren't anything private could you post a link to one/some? Not that I can do anything to help but more for my own curiosity.

Cheesegeezer

Yes, IE on WP8 is supposed to basically be the same as IE10 on desktop.

(side note. Chrome/FF/Opera/etc. on iPhone is just a custom skin on top of iOS's Safari Webkit engine. Same for WP. If they made Chrome for WP8 it would just be a Chrome skin on top of the Trident engine)

I'd be curious to see what you are seeing, so if the websites aren't anything private could you post a link to one/some? Not that I can do anything to help but more for my own curiosity.

Its pretty much every site, maybe its the sites that arent optimized but like you said, we should be able to browse as if using a desktop.

Its just annoying and another thing is if you zoom in the page jumps when you try to click buttons .

Sent from my trusty ipad lol

Its pretty much every site, maybe its the sites that arent optimized but like you said, we should be able to browse as if using a desktop.

Its just annoying and another thing is if you zoom in the page jumps when you try to click buttons .

Sent from my trusty ipad lol

I also have the same trouble with my Lumia 930. What is strange and annoying is that this problem was not present in my previous windows phones, in particular the very last one (Samsung Ativ S) even though it had the same OS version (8.1 cyan).

shaefurr

Weird, I have the 929/icon which is basically the same phone and it doesn't do that

sent from my lumia icon

I don't have that issue with my HTC M8 either.  I still really like this phone but the live tiles do still flake out sometimes (get stuck and won't update).

techywarrior

I have a 920 and my GF has a 1020 and I'm sure she would have complained to me if she had that problem. Would seem really odd that it would only be on the 930 though, as others have said, it's the same OS version on all of these phones.

The good news is that if you are willing to wait it out all WP8 phones will be getting Win10 when it's released. And if you don't want to wait that long, and are willing to risk it, the Win10 preview for phones will be out in February some time.

I get that now and again, I think it's because the browser flags itself as safari... You could try UC Browser? Also when wp10 drops I'm sure IE will be gone

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I get that now and again, I think it's because the browser flags itself as safari... You could try UC Browser? Also when wp10 drops I'm sure IE will be gone

Downloading now. Cheers

Deihmos

Not sure how you guys could buy windows phone especially if you live in the USA. Two of the largest banks here are dropping support for their apps because of low demand. Bank of America and Chase. The main problem with Win Phone that would make me keep away are the apps.

swhitmore

Not sure how you guys could buy windows phone especially if you live in the USA. Two of the largest banks here are dropping support for their apps because of low demand. Bank of America and Chase. The main problem with Win Phone that would make me keep away are the apps.

Nah, the apps are fine. 2 banks dropping support is a poor indication of the platform. I've been using WP for years now, and I have had no issues with apps. In some situations, I've even found better apps on WP than anywhere else. Two great examples are Phototastic and Readit. I use these apps all the time, and I've tried looking on my wife's iPhone for something as good for her to use, and the comparisons are pretty weak.

People love to complain about Windows Phone and apps because that's the attention that is given to it buy tech journalists. I can almost guarantee that these people haven't used WP for any decent length of time (the exception being Tom Warren). It's been given a bad stigma of "the ecosystem with no apps", when in truth, it's not far from equaling that of the big 2, and for an ecosystem with such a low market share, it's actually rather impressive that the store is as good as it is.

For me, the two biggest draws for Windows Phone is the hardware and first party apps. Nokia made some seriously unrivaled hardware. I've had two Lumias, the 920 and now the 930, and they crap all over any Android phone (I also really like the iPhone's hardware, but can't stand iOS). Here Drive (although I guess this is no longer first party), is still the best Navigation software I've used on any phone. I also really love the email client, calendar, etc. too.

Windows 10 and the universal app ecosystem is going to be a huge bonus for WP users too. I'll finish by saying, phones running Windows Phone 8 that are nearly two and a half years old, are still kept up to date with the latest software, and will all be getting Windows 10. I'd love to see how many  Android phones from over 2 years ago are running 5.0.2 Lollipop.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

politby

I don't have that issue with my HTC M8 either. I still really like this phone but the live tiles do still flake out sometimes (get stuck and won't update).

I assume you you got it on contract with some U.S. provider? The M8 with windows is not available in Europe at all but I would love to get my hands on one.

Is it available for purchase without contract at all?

Cheesegeezer

I have to agree with @@swhitmore I find that most of the apps are very good, with exception to IMDB, god knows what they did with that, but a lot of the information available on iOS isn't there for WP, also the images don't update when viewing a cast.  My Natwest Banking App on the other hand is 100 times better on WP. 

The two major gripes I have with my phone are the web browser and email, trying to attach a pdf is quite possibly the most difficult task ever made to man and machine.  Considering I use both alot, especially for work, it's quite a significant thorn in my ass.  

Don't get me wrong I love the phone, just wish it didn't have those 2 gripes, then it would be an awesome phone.

I'm just going to wait for WP10 RTC/RTM before i upgrade.  The phone is 90% usuable and because I use it heavily as a work tool, I can't afford to have any issues, i'm learning to deal with these.

swhitmore

The two major gripes I have with my phone are the web browser and email, trying to attach a pdf is quite possibly the most difficult task ever made to man and machine.  Considering I use both alot, especially for work, it's quite a significant thorn in my ass.

Have you tried changing your settings to mobile view, rather than desktop? The browser works well for me. Can you link an example? The pdf thing is fine if your emailing something you have downloaded from a website or is on your OneDrive. If it's in an email, unfortunately you have to save it to OneDrive first, then you can attach it (or just forward the email). 

Sending any office document is a pita too! Basically ms saying they want you to use SkyDrive...

Problem being half the time links don't work on corporate PCs.

Really? It doesn't for me. I can attach any document to an email without using OneDrive, including .pdfs.

Edited by swhitmore

@@swhitmore one at a time they send from within, but create a new email there's no way to attach multiple items (if there is please enlighten me!!)

swhitmore

@@swhitmore one at a time they send from within, but create a new email there's no way to attach multiple items (if there is please enlighten me!!)

You sure can man, use the file explorer app called Files. If you have downloaded your pdf's or documents they will be in your downloads folder, otherwise they are in your documents folder. To send multiple files at once, they need to be in the same folder, so move them around if needed. Once they are in a folder, hit the select button, select the files. Tap the 'Share' button in the bottom right, and hit Outlook or Hotmail, or whatever, then voila!

54cf71d6da52d_wp_ss_20150202_0002.png54cf71df001f4_wp_ss_20150202_0003.png

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

swhitmore

Yeah, it's a massively requested feature, however this does work (I think the files app is preinstalled now too).

Overseer

Man, I am so looking forward to dumping my iPHONE. So tired of chasing jailbreaks to do what I want to do. Will have my iPHONE paid off via AT&T NEXT in May and am seriously looking at the Lumia 1520 as my replacement phone. Picked up a Lumia 2520 last summer and just loving the interface on a tablet.

• Like 1

politby

Picked up a Lumia 2520 last summer and just loving the interface on a tablet.

+1 on that. I also have a 2520 and love it. What an improvement on the crummy Android interface.

The 2520 is totally awesome for media consumption.