Nokia Lumia 930 thoughts please

Cheesegeezer

politby

My wife purchased a new Surface 3 a few weeks ago. It impressed me so much we have now decided to replace all Android devices in the family with Windows. I have already replaced my own tablet with a Windows device - windows on a tablet is really a huge improvement from the fiddly, hard to read Android UI.

Next up are the kids' tablets and we will start replacing the phones as soon as the HTC One m8 with Windows hopefully becomes available.

Edited by politby

Cheesegeezer

My wife purchased a new Surface 3 a few weeks ago. It impressed me so much we have now decided to replace all Android devices in the family with Windows. I have already replaced my own tablet with a Windows device - windows on a tablet is really a huge improvement from the fiddly, hard to read Android UI.

Next up are the kids' tablets and we will start replacing the phones as soon as the HTC One m8 with Windows hopefully becomes available.

Thats good to hear mate. I'm put off the pro 3 because of the size, ideally i want a 10" max screen for taking offshore with me and on flights. Think the pro 2 is 10.7", i think i need to go play with one first!

politby

I bought a Chinese Onda V975W thru Aliexpress for myself:

onda1.png

$200. Hugely impressed so far with the quality and performance for the price. 9.7" retina display, aluminum chassis and form factor almost identical to the iPad air.

shaefurr

I know right. I have a 4:3 monitor, and I friggin hate it. But its from over 10 years ago, I hate using it now.

Cheesegeezer

@@ebr which surface pro do you have? What are your specs and thoughts please.

I'm axing apple!!! Had enough of their constraints they put on the end user and having to open itunes everytime i need to do something... Ooooo it grates me!!!

plus i'll have the opportunity to develop my own apps, useful stuff for work, which i should make a bit of dosh from from the offshore industry.

• Like 2

I have the Surface 2 which runs RT.  I don't think they even make an RT version anymore.

At the moment, my son is using it for school.

politby

Why do they keep making these devices with 4:3 screens...?

Because on a tablet, it is a superior format for any type of usage that is not video playback?

techywarrior

I have the Surface 2 which runs RT.  I don't think they even make an RT version anymore.

At the moment, my son is using it for school.

They still make the Surface 2 (RT). They stopped the Surface 2 Pro since it has been replaced by the Surface 3 Pro. Also there is the Nokia 2520 still around.

But there don't seem to be anymore RT tablets coming out. It seems that the extra battery life from using ARM isn't really making up for the lack of "full" windows. Since the Intel Atom tablets have "decent" battery life and are now down to the $100-$200 range at the low end there doesn't appear to be a market for RT on ARM.

Because on a tablet, it is a superior format for any type of usage that is not video playback?

I agree completely. My desktop monitor is 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 because it gives me extra vertical space. You can't have "no" width but the only thing 16x9 is good for are movies/video. Just look at a browser, you are always scrolling down. More vertical space is good :)

My biggest issue with the Surface Pro 3 is that I use my laptop on my lap and that's not comfortable on the Surface Pro 3. I still have a gen 1 Lenovo Yoga and it's been great... when it finally dies I'll probably look at the new one (unless it's so long we are way past convertible devices :) )

I agree completely. My desktop monitor is 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 because it gives me extra vertical space. You can't have "no" width but the only thing 16x9 is good for are movies/video. Just look at a browser, you are always scrolling down. More vertical space is good :)

Okay, well I disagree but I guess that is personal preference.

Techy, if more vertical space is what you are after, then rotating a 16:9 screen to portrait gives you more than a 4:3 one does...

techywarrior

Yes, portrait mode is pretty handy. I've seen a lot of people who use multi monitor setups use 3 monitors in portrait orientation to give a lot of usable space. If we ever get to the point where the bezel on the monitor is non-existent I'd totally do that. But I still can't stand the gap between the screens.

I want a 1920x1920 monitor :)

shaefurr

Personally, I hate 4:3 displays now. Yeah I used them forever when its all there was, bu after using widescreen for the past 8 or whatever years I just can't go back, I have a PC with a 10 year old 4:3 monitor, and I cant stand to use that PC. my opinion on the matter :P

politby

Okay, well I disagree but I guess that is personal preference.

Techy, if more vertical space is what you are after, then rotating a 16:9 screen to portrait gives you more than a 4:3 one does...

For a handheld device, 4:3 just feels much more comfortable to handle IMO.

Anyone remember the Radius Pivot desktop displays from the 90s? Does anyone make displays nowadays which rotate in place?

Edited by politby

Cheesegeezer

Cant wait!! I get home tonight around 23:00hrs and i get to play with my new phone!! I really hope that i like it. First thing i'm gonna do is download @@ScottIsAFool app..... the rest can wait!!! Lol

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Stop teasing me... Bitches!!

My missus is gonna be like, why did you bother coming home? I'll be like... Errr got a new phone! Derrrr! :lol:

"Service" the missus first.  Do it right and she won't care that you're playing with your new phone.  :o

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

Perhaps Mr Cheese can multi-task ;)

One night in cheese.... ok I think this has taken a wrong turn here 8-)

Cheesegeezer

This phone is amazing!!!!

Kicks the shit out of apple. Ok so not all apps are available, but as a phone and screen, its gorgeous!

The wife is now suffering from acute phone envy!

When I get time I'll give a full review. However I love that the start menu is your own to do what you want with.

• Like 2

ScottIsAFool

When I get time I'll give a full review. 

*cough* rate the media browser app in the store *cough*

• Like 1

This phone is amazing!!!!

Kicks the shit out of apple. Ok so not all apps are available, but as a phone and screen, its gorgeous!

The wife is now suffering from acute phone envy!

When I get time I'll give a full review. However I love that the start menu is your own to do what you want with.

Wait until she see's the image quality of your photos... On the big screen pureview is like BLAM

• 2 months later...
Cheesegeezer

well my thoughts have changed significantly.

I'm struggling alot with the web browser, its shocking, constantly jumping about, not following text in textboxes and not able to focus properly.

it pretty much makes a smartphone useless. It calls and texts pretty good though.