Nokia Lumia 930 thoughts please

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

@shwitmore, thanks for that tip, why that app doesn't ship with the phone is beyond me. Cheers mate

• Like 1

swhitmore

@shwitmore, thanks for that tip, why that app doesn't ship with the phone is beyond me. Cheers mate

No worries mate. I think the new phones do. My 930 had it pre-installed.

ScottIsAFool

No worries mate. I think the new phones do. My 930 had it pre-installed.

I don't think it does ship with it pre-installed, but if you had it installed on a previous device, when you first sign in with your new phone, it would pull it down and install it.

ScottIsAFool

Nice one!

Cheers for that

Not really that intuitive though is it!? Why they can't just integrate that into the email app is beyond me!!!

You really should use an iPhone, then you'll see just how un-intuitive one of those is when it comes to attaching files to emails :)

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

You really should use an iPhone, then you'll see just how un-intuitive one of those is when it comes to attaching files to emails :)

I actually found the iphone pretty good for attaching stuff to emails.

Also the other bug I have is when forwarding an email and you want to delete the crap that isn't required from the chain, it doesn't let you delete them!! annoying!!!

• 1 month later...
Cheesegeezer

Ok so a new update.... found the windows phone and lumia 930 completely unusable for what i needed it for.

Now moved onto a cheap android phone at the minute to test it out, and I know i used to snub them, but i'm actually quite liking it. It has android lollipop installed and seems excellent for what i need, pretty simple to set up and I have dived into the realms of themeing and have found a great iOS theme which means i can have my old apple experience at a fraction of the cost.

P.S. the lumia died when i was in Qatar, obviously didn't like the heat and humidity.  So i'll be sending it back for a replacement, then i'll ebay the thing!! 

CBers

What Android did you get Mr Cheese?

What theme did you install?

Are you using the supplier launcher or have you tried Nova Launcher?

techywarrior

That sucks. Both that it died and that it didn't work for what you wanted/needed.

It may be too long to wait but it may be interesting to see how Win10 helps the situation on the phone.

Cheesegeezer

What Android did you get Mr Cheese?

Are you using the supplier launcher or have you tried Nova Launcher?

i got a cheap sim free Moto E 4G I think.  Yeah I tried nova launcher initially but found One which had iOS8 as default theme.  I've only had the phone, well since I got back on Friday.  So just started playing with it yesterday properly and I ACTUALLY like it.  Needless to say the wife now thinks i'm a true traitor ahahhhahaha 

That sucks. Both that it died and that it didn't work for what you wanted/needed.

It may be too long to wait but it may be interesting to see how Win10 helps the situation on the phone.

I wouldn't hold your breath.  I'm not anti Windows phone by any stretch of the imagination but it didn't work for me, especially with all the things i need my phone to do for work, otherwise i'd drive a mini bus everywhere lol

techywarrior

Cheese, I meant to see how Win10 effects the problems you ran into trying to use the phone for whatever.

I know you mentioned the web browser in the past but I still haven't experienced what you described. It must be the sites we both use although I would imagine there were other things that didn't work for you as well.

CBers

i got a cheap sim free Moto E 4G I think. Yeah I tried nova launcher initially but found One which had iOS8 as default theme.

It's not a bad little phone. I looked at it for my aunt a couple weeks back, but ended up with the Moto G instead.

I hope you've installed the "Emby for Android Mobile" app ;)

Cheesegeezer

I hope you've installed the "Emby for Android Mobile" app ;)

Tut... First app I installed. Lol ;)

• Like 2

godbodian

I had the Lumia 900, 920 and the 930, all of which I unlocked and customized to my own needs. @Cheesegeezer, Personally I wouldn't recommend you getting the 930. Not for any reason other than you should wait for the 940, that's coming out this year. I CANT WAIT!!!

Can you say shmapple who? LOL.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Personally I wouldn't recommend you getting the 930. 

I already own one, so it's a bit late.

ScottIsAFool

I love my 930 :D Looking forward to Win10

Believe it or not, I'm really hating my 930, specifically, the screen. God I hate that screen. My three main gripes with it are:

1. No Glance (seriously, how did they end up using a screen that doesn't support it!)

2. Gets too hot *way* too quickly

3. Is often unresponsive, takes me way too many attempts to try and pull the notification centre down.

I'm looking forward to the win10 phones more so I can move on from the 930.

techywarrior

Yea, I never understood why they took a step back with the screen on the 930 versus the 920/1020. Perhaps it was a supply issue at the time, or some sort of twisted cost savings.

I've been really happy with the 920 and I use the glance screen a lot. Battery isn't spectacular but it lasts all day easily for my uses. Looking forward to the new phones since I am ready to upgrade (but obviously waiting till the new ones release) to see what they have to offer. I'm hoping for a 1020 replacement because I love the pictures my GF takes with her 1020.

ScottIsAFool

The reason it doesn't support glance is because it's an amoled screen. It's a better screen in terms of colours and how things look, but for just about everything else, it's horrid.

techywarrior

Glance can be done on an AMOLED screen I think. It just needs a small memory for the panel. Not sure why the responsiveness of touch would be worse though.

Cheesegeezer

I've now changed to iLauncher and using Passcode Keypad Lockscreen as the themes to create my iOS feel to the android experience which pleases me :)

trooper11

I wouldn't hold your breath.  I'm not anti Windows phone by any stretch of the imagination but it didn't work for me, especially with all the things i need my phone to do for work, otherwise i'd drive a mini bus everywhere lol

Well it sucks to see someone have to leave WP and have a phone die like that.

Maybe Win 10 will offer the additional features that you require that are not currently available.

Before you sell your 930, you might get the Win 10 upgrade later this year and see if its any better. 

ScottIsAFool

Also, the Win10 Emby app will kick the android app's ass ;)

• Like 3

swhitmore

@@Lee it's in discussion.

That would be amazing. It would also pave the way for a great Xbox One app.