UI Improvement - Merge library selection with pill and add new element

MSI2017

3 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

But, is there a point of me giving my opinion? 

This is great conversation and these are great suggestions. Hopefully I am giving you some insight on what we need to do to get a design change through to production.

You're giving us your thoughts on what works for you, which is great. In order for us to use them, we have to think about how this could expand to fit the requirements of other users, and in my opinion, I don't think this design can.

But I think it's great to bounce around ideas and if you have more then by all means.

MSI2017
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Yes because moving the buttons would only be the first step. To really do it right you then have to rethink more things and now it becomes a paradigm shift. For example, what goes into the tab for each library? And then what happens to the existing sub-category tabs that you currently see inside of a library?

If your answer is get rid of them, that's a paradigm shift. If your answer is keep them, now you're requiring an extra click to get there.

Good point. Initially on home screen I just mean moving for example the button for the movie library into the pill/header. But indeed when in that library you have the existing tabs. I didn't give that much though to be honest because I don't really use that apart from folders. That's a valid point. Maybe a seperate sort by button for catagories. But yeah that is indeed a big shift. 

Ultimately the reason why I thought this was a good idea is because it frees up space to implement some nice UX/UI on the main screen where those tabs are bit underutilised imo.

MSI2017
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

This is great conversation and these are great suggestions. Hopefully I am giving you some insight on what we need to do to get a design change through to production.

You're giving us your thoughts on what works for you, which is great. In order for us to use them, we have to think about how this could expand to fit the requirements of other users, and in my opinion, I don't think this design can.

But I think it's great to bounce around ideas and if you have more then by all means.

Cool, yeah and as said above you made a great point which I did not consider. I really appreciate the insight and see how this is not a simple addition. 

I'll continue to share my ideas in that case, although I do think that maybe we as a community should be a bit silent for a bit just so the 4.8 update can become public first.

arrbee99

IMHO Libraries is just another scrolling row, like Continue Watching, Latest Movies etc. I'd just have the existing top items, a big rotating selectable banner / thumb row, then Libraries etc.

MSI2017
Just now, arrbee99 said:

IMHO Libraries is just another scrolling row, like Continue Watching, Latest Movies etc. I'd just have the existing top items, a big rotating selectable banner / thumb row, then Libraries etc.

Yeah agreed, maybe my focus of this topic should've been the bolder more functional continue/next/new

arrbee99

I'm a big backdrop / background fan btw, I'm forever removing posters and thumbs and moving stuff down so I can see the backdrops.

Maybe expand on the bolder bit you mentioned, you talking about just making then physically bigger or more functions or...

MSI2017
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

I'm a big backdrop / background fan btw, I'm forever removing posters and thumbs and moving stuff down so I can see the backdrops.

Maybe expand on the bolder bit you mentioned, you talking about just making then physically bigger or more functions or...

Well like in the ATV image, it could be based on diff things (user selectable) like continue watching, next-up, newly added, and also be interactive. For newly added it could feature a description, for continue watching a resume watching button or anything. (Or, but this is really a paradigm shift @Luke, like Netflix does that after a bit of hoovering it'll autoplay a bit. But to make it really paradigm shifting with the setting to only do this with media on an SSD or have some snippets cached on an SSD) But the point is that it shouldn't be just a bigger image. In the screenshot in the OP it filling, and nicely fades. Really attention grabbing.

arrbee99

That all sounds good, and you could probably just move, say, Continue Watching up to be the first row and make that row extra huge, so you would at least have something along the lines of what you want (in a web browser without going into TV mode), but the Devs would have to do the fancy stuff with buttons / snippets  etc.

MSI2017
2 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

That all sounds good, and you could probably just move, say, Continue Watching up to be the first row and make that row extra huge, so you would at least have something along the lines of what you want (in a web browser without going into TV mode), but the Devs would have to do the fancy stuff with buttons / snippets  etc.

yeah but just making it bigger doens't really improve UI does it. If anything will probably feel unbalanced

arrbee99

Oh I dunno, I think some of the illustrations on the later pages of that feature request ebr linked to look quite nice... not brilliant, but fair to middling.

GrimReaper
5 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Interaction should be added.

@Luke, could we get More/Details or Play button on random library spotlight so single UP click would take us there instead on Home header tab? As it works now one either has to go to Search>Type (click, click, click...) or enter focused library and find that particular item (again click, click, click...), either of which, honestly, makes it too much of a hassle to even bother and it's a pity, as those suggestions often offer something one would be inclined to watch if it was easily reached. 

• Agree 2

CBers
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

@Luke, could we get More/Details or Play button on random library spotlight so single UP click would take us there instead on Home header tab? As it works now one either has to go to Search>Type (click, click, click...) or enter focused library and find that particular item (again click, click, click...), either of which, honestly, makes it too much of a hassle to even bother and it's a pity, as those suggestions often offer something one would be inclined to watch if it was easily reached. 

Sounds like a good idea, but the content needs to be user-selectable.

It could be from your TV show/movies you haven't watched, or TV show/movies you've watched a 1000 times, or something from NU/CW, or totally random.

Perhaps even trailers for new movie releases at the cinema, pulled from online sources.

How does Emby currently provide content for that section? What is the formula?

MSI2017
6 minutes ago, CBers said:

It could be from your TV show/movies you haven't watched, or TV show/movies you've watched a 1000 times, or something from NU/CW, or totally random.

Perhaps even trailers for new movie releases at the cinema, pulled from online sources.

So basically what I said here 

9 hours ago, MSI2017 said:

Well like in the ATV image, it could be based on diff things (user selectable) like continue watching, next-up, newly added, and also be interactive. For newly added it could feature a description, for continue watching a resume watching button or anything. (Or, but this is really a paradigm shift @Luke, like Netflix does that after a bit of hoovering it'll autoplay a bit. But to make it really paradigm shifting with the setting to only do this with media on an SSD or have some snippets cached on an SSD) But the point is that it shouldn't be just a bigger image. In the screenshot in the OP it filling, and nicely fades. Really attention grabbing.

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, CBers said:

Yeah, but that goes more into @chef's Spotlight FR territory, linked above. This was just asuggestion for improvement to current implementation. 

16 minutes ago, CBers said:

It follows focus/selection: random item from library currently in focus, if you go further down then currently selected item from CW/NU or Latest row. 

Having transport button makes sense only for section0 (as for any other section you already have an item selected, Details/Playback are one or two clicks away anyway and single UP click would just take you to previous row) - considering overwhelming majority of users have My Media in that row, that'd be target audience. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 8:03 PM, GrimReaper said:

Yes I think that would make sense.

• Thanks 1