UI Improvement - Merge library selection with pill and add new element

MSI2017

MSI2017

Hi all,

At the moment I notice that I use the pill bar/header bar (Home, Favorites) absolutely never. Right below that is the library selection taking up quite a bit of space:
image.thumb.png.6b3f552f01592428ff89a40ec83987c9.png

I think it would be much cleaner to integrate library selection into the pill bar. This makes it much cleaner (pure text compared to image) and also frees up space for a nicer more interactive main screen. kinda like this: (sorry for different language)

image.png.f5a60406667c431036061dd63ca91e4c.png

The big bold image could be derived from the now continue playing, and maybe even autoscroll through the recently playing. The best would be for this to be user configurable both server and client side) to change it from continue playing to recently added for example). This would go a long way into giving Emby that much needed fresh UI overhaul.

So "Kijk nu" could be home screen, and after that the library selection. In the big image, Ga naar programma means goto basically but could be changed to different things. For a recently added movi it would be logical to have a similair option but for continue playing a start playing button would be better.

Edited by MSI2017
Title clarification

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

The big bold image could be derived from the now continue playing, and maybe even autoscroll through the recently playing. The best would be for this to be user configurable both server and client side) to change it from continue playing to recently added for example).

That is already available in TV layouts.

MSI2017
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That is already available in TV layouts.

Just switched to TV but cannot see it. Anywho, the point is that would be nice to have accross multiple clients. It's also not just about the pill, but also using that free space for something like the suggestion I made.

GrimReaper
Just now, MSI2017 said:

Just switched to TV but cannot see it.

Home Screen settings, enable "Use layout that shows detailed preview..." 

MSI2017
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Home Screen settings, enable "Use layout that shows detailed preview..." 

Not there on web interface when choosing TV interface. Can try on an actual TV. But again, not really the point of this topic.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, MSI2017 said:

Not there on web interface when choosing TV interface.

I'm looking at it right now in the browser. Maybe logoff/logon. 

1 minute ago, MSI2017 said:

But again, not really the point of this topic.

What do you mean by that? It's exactly a part of what you asked for, quoted above.

Edited by GrimReaper

MSI2017
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I'm looking at it right now in the browser. Maybe logoff/logon. 

What do you mean by that? It's exactly a part of what you asked for, quoted above.

Looked in browser, and on an actual TV. Are you sure it's not a beta thing?

What I mean by it is that it requires TV mode to be activated which has some downsides. Plus I cannot judge if it is actually what I mean when I cannot see the changes that option makes.

This is the options I see (plus the same setting for different library:image.thumb.png.9b82f8f1cce47bb8a0daa5af1d8d3489.png

Edited by MSI2017

GrimReaper
Just now, MSI2017 said:

Are you sure it's not a beta thing?

No, beta has slight adjustments but it's there on 4.7.14.0. stable. 

MSI2017
6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Screenshot 2023-11-20 143732.png

Well it's sortof what I mean but not completely. The bill bar for example is still identical and the features image/tv show isn't really what I mean either. It is good in terms of look but as far as I can tell it's not interactive. Meaning it isn't for example based on continue playing allowing for easy resume.

Edited by MSI2017

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

It is good in terms of look but as far as I can tell it's not interactive. Meaning it isn't for example based on continue playing allowing for easy resume.

It's not interactive, there are few long standing topics regarding that, but it does change according where your focus is, i.e. CW row item, Latest row item etc. 

MSI2017
Just now, GrimReaper said:

It's not interactive, there are few long standing topics regarding that, but it does change according where your focus is, i.e. CW row item, Latest row item etc. 

But two issues why its not really the point of this topic: you have to change to TV mode, and even than it seems like its not properly working since I do not even have the toggle you mentioned. And the whole library selection into the pill thing isn't a thing either.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

And the whole library selection into the pill thing isn't a thing either.

And I made absolutely no comment on header tabs - pill thing, as you call it - just literally quoted you on "big picture" being available in TV modes, in case you want to benefit from that right now. I am not disputing your FR, just advising that part of it is already somewhat implemented. 

Edited by GrimReaper

MSI2017
Just now, GrimReaper said:

And I made absolutely no comment on header tabs - pill thing, as you call it - just literally quoted you on "big picture" being available in TV modes, in case you want to benefit from that right now. I am not disputing your FR, just advising that part of your is already somewhat implemented. 

Ah didn't know the name was header tabs. But even than the big picture isn't really even somewhat implemented because there is no toggle for me, it needs tv mode, it's not how I suggested apart from being a bigger picture.

I'm sorry if I came accross a bit aggresive but on quite a lot of topics the answer is often that it is sortof implemented and after that an update never comes.

CBers
32 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Screenshot 2023-11-20 143732.png

There's a bug on that page.

If you click on FAVOURITES, then back to HOME, the text/image disappear.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
Just now, CBers said:

There's a bug on that page.

If you click on FAVOURITES, then back to HOME, the text/image disappear.

Yeah, till you press DOWN to bring some library into focus 

CBers
6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Yeah, till you press DOWN to bring some library into focus 

So it does 🤔

Also, if you use the cursor key to move between the libraries, the spotlight area changes. That's not annoying much 🙄

Now I know why I have it turned off 😂

MSI2017
Just now, CBers said:

So it does 🤔

Also, if you use the cursor key to move between the libraries, the spotlight area changes. That's not annoying much 🙄

Now I know why I have it turned off 😂

Sounds like another argument why this deserves a proper implementation.

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, CBers said:

Also, if you use the cursor key to move between the libraries, the spotlight area changes.

Yep, spotlight follows focus. I actually like that behavior, random item from a library it's currently focused on or exact item if you move further down, CW/NU or Latest. But it does need a Play button there/making it interactive, else not much point in those random library spotlights. 

Edited by GrimReaper

2 hours ago, MSI2017 said:

And the whole library selection into the pill thing isn't a thing either

Hi.  Making the libraries tabs would not be manageable on many devices but we do have the option for them to show in a sidebar.  I think that should get you what you want.

MSI2017
41 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Making the libraries tabs would not be manageable on many devices but we do have the option for them to show in a sidebar.  I think that should get you what you want.

Genuinely curious, don't take this the wrong way. But why wouldn't it be manageable? The sidebar option exists but isn't pretty. Makes everything off-center. Having it in the header/pill bar would be clean, and more clear/intuitive.

MSI2017
44 minutes ago, ebr said:

What about the suggestion for the bigger continue playing/newly added/media in general? (I think continue playing makes the most sense but a setting would be cool since probably not everyone agrees)

1 hour ago, MSI2017 said:

Sounds like another argument why this deserves a proper implementation.

It is a proper implementation.