UI Improvement - Merge library selection with pill and add new element

MSI2017

2 hours ago, CBers said:

So it does 🤔

Also, if you use the cursor key to move between the libraries, the spotlight area changes. That's not annoying much 🙄

Now I know why I have it turned off 😂

So you’d rather that the spotlight not be based on what is selected?

MSI2017
Just now, Luke said:

It is a proper implementation.

Not really if you have to select TV mode on a device which is not a tv, not to mention me not having the option on my web client, or an actual TV

41 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Genuinely curious, don't take this the wrong way. But why wouldn't it be manageable? The sidebar option exists but isn't pretty. Makes everything off-center. Having it in the header/pill bar would be clean, and more clear/intuitive.

Some users have a large number of libraries.

• Agree 1

Just now, MSI2017 said:

Not really if you have to select TV mode on a device which is not a tv, not to mention me not having the option on my web client, or an actual TV

It doesn’t make sense when not in TV layouts. It’s all based on what is currently selected and that only applies in TV mode.

MSI2017
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Some users have a large number of libraries.

Making it optional would be nice

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

It doesn’t make sense when not in TV layouts. It’s all based on what is currently selected and that only applies in TV mode.

Why wouldn't it? The way it looks in the pictures I sent above is night and day.

MSI2017
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Well that could be default behavior with the option of locking it to something, like continue playing, next-up or newly added

arrbee99

Interaction should be added.

Would also be nice to have display options. It might be nice to be able to point it to a library of your own images, so you can cycle through a set of your own high quality images.

You can have a large image similar to that shown in the first post with css, but not interactive and just the one image.

Having you libraries across the top might be nice, but maybe not so good if you have 50 of them - perhaps a drop down list, but then you have the sidebar for that, so ...

38 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Well that could be default behavior with the option of locking it to something, like continue playing, next-up or newly added

So what you are asking for is this?

MSI2017
1 hour ago, ebr said:

So what you are asking for is this?

well yes but better looking and interactive. That's a big part, not just a bigger picture.

CBers
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Personally I'd do away with the spotlight area. 

The transitions where they zoom in and out isn't nice, almost vomit-inducing. 

I prefer the way the ATV app does it, without a huge space at the top of the screen, which is why I have disabled it. 

Thanks. 

• Agree 1

MSI2017
Just now, CBers said:

I prefer the way the ATV app does it, without a huge space at the top of the screen, which is why I have disabled it. 

Bit like in the image. Do you think giving the option to move library in the pill/header bar would be a good addition to achieve that?

CBers
6 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Do you think giving the option to move library in the pill/header bar would be a good addition to achieve that?

Personally, no. 

MSI2017
13 minutes ago, CBers said:

Personally, no. 

Hmm ok. Why not? Again, I'm really curious. I think we all want a better emby so brainstorming like this is a positive thing

CBers
6 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Hmm ok. Why not? Again, I'm really curious. I think we all want a better emby so brainstorming like this is a positive thing

It would make it too cluttered. 

MSI2017
27 minutes ago, CBers said:

It would make it too cluttered. 

Wouldn't it make it less cluttered? Because you don't have the massive seperate buttons, just like on AppleTV its neately and clearly labeled at the top. For me its only 3 libraries, like I think is the case for a lot of people. Plus optional

9 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Wouldn't it make it less cluttered? Because you don't have the massive seperate buttons, just like on AppleTV its neately and clearly labeled at the top. For me its only 3 libraries, like I think is the case for a lot of people. Plus optional

I also generally like Apple designs but in this case I don't agree with what you're suggesting. By the way you may want to check out what they're doing in the tvOS 17.2 beta, because those top tabs are gone now.

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

I also generally like Apple designs but in this case I don't agree with what you're suggesting. By the way you may want to check out what they're doing in the tvOS 17.2 beta, because those top tabs are gone now.

To be more specific about why, it's that it only makes sense with a small number of libraries.

So then your next question will be can it be an option - the problem is that this is not your typical simple option to hide or show something or turn on or off. This is a paradigm shift that would require more changes to the interface and probably the entire app in order to really make it work well. Therefore it's just not realistic. We need a design that is more flexible that can accommodate everything that is supported.

• Like 1

MSI2017
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

To be more specific about why, it's that it only makes sense with a small number of libraries.

So then your next question will be can it be an option - the problem is that this is not your typical simple option to hide or show something or turn on or off. This is a paradigm shift that would require more changes to the interface and probably the entire app in order to really make it work well. Therefore it's just not realistic. We need a design that is more flexible that can accommodate everything that is supported.

But isn't a bigger shift something that can be positive? I for one would abolutely welcome a UI overhaul. Although I think playback deserves more attention to be fair.

2 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

But isn't a bigger shift something that can be positive? I for one would abolutely welcome a UI overhaul. Although I think playback deserves more attention to be fair.

Having options to hide show turn on off are fine. It’s not realistic to have an option that completely morphs the entire interface into something different. We need a design that is flexible enough to accommodate all of our features and this is not.

MSI2017
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Having options to hide show turn on off are fine. It’s not realistic to have an option that completely morphs the entire interface into something different. We need a design that is flexible enough to accommodate all of our features and this is not.

So moving two (in my case) library buttons from the bgi squares to the header is too impactfull? Or the bigger, bolder continue/next-up/recently added?

But are there any plans for some UI updates? Or am I putting effort in topics like this that I could better spend elsewhere?

If you’d like to get my media off of the Home Screen, asi would like to, then the sidebar is a more realistic way to do that.

MSI2017
1 minute ago, Luke said:

If you’d like to get my media off of the Home Screen, asi would like to, then the sidebar is a more realistic way to do that.

Sidebar put everything off-centered, also kinda spoils the look. That's why I think the header/pill would work so nicely. Clean text, minimal space. Obviously that doesn't work for people with so many libraries but I the option would be helpful there (default off in that case)

MSI2017
Just now, MSI2017 said:

But are there any plans for some UI updates? Or am I putting effort in topics like this that I could better spend elsewhere?

But, is there a point of me giving my opinion? 

1 minute ago, MSI2017 said:

So moving two (in my case) library buttons from the bgi squares to the header is too impactfull? Or the bigger, bolder continue/next-up/recently added?

Yes because moving the buttons would only be the first step. To really do it right you then have to rethink more things and now it becomes a paradigm shift. For example, what goes into the tab for each library? And then what happens to the existing sub-category tabs that you currently see inside of a library?

If your answer is get rid of them, that's a paradigm shift. If your answer is keep them, now you're requiring an extra click to get there.