Application incorrectly reports "Emby Server needs to be updated"

dma_k
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

When I try to connect to Emby server using URL like https://emby.server.com (hostname is an example) Emby Android application v3.3.40 refuses to connect showing the message "Got it", which is truly uninformative, and after that button is pressed it shows "Emby Server needs to be updated". However when I switch off WiFi (so start using LTE), application connects just fine. Then I switch on WiFi, and application continues to work properly (namely, library browsing and media playback work fine).

Same issue with connection when using internal server IP address and default port (application does not connect).

Tried with and without "Allow remote connections" enabled.

How in general Emby server detects that user is external, if Emby functions under reverse proxy (and, for example, reverse proxy does not set `X-Forwarded-For` HTTP reader)?

image.thumb.png.cddef5894933e5adc7870abf0ada9155.png

Subissues:

• When trying to remove the server in app, nothing happens (reported earlier).
  • I have entered the external hostname into the app, however it displays the internal IP address.
  • ProxyHeaderModeHelp is not provided.

Similar issues I've inspected so far:

Screenshot_20231118_210205_Emby.png

Screenshot_20231118_210219_Emby.png

39 minutes ago, dma_k said:

One day of testing shows that it works just OK.

So you no longer see that message?

12 hours ago, Luke said:

So you no longer see that message?

Right, android application now behaves correctly and does not show any errors.

Great, thanks. Can you go back to the 3.3.46 store version? I'm curious if that also behaves correctly because given that I could never reproduce, I'm not sure which version resolves it. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Great, thanks. Can you go back to the 3.3.46 store version? I'm curious if that also behaves correctly because given that I could never reproduce, I'm not sure which version resolves it. Thanks.

When I install Emby from playstore (3.3.46) the problem is back (cannot connect to the server).

• 4 months later...
Strygaldwir

Server version 4.7.11.0 with android client 3.3.77 (from Google Play) same story, but your build from link above helps, thank you.

On 3/23/2024 at 4:38 AM, Strygaldwir said:

Server version 4.7.11.0 with android client 3.3.77 (from Google Play) same story, but your build from link above helps, thank you.

Hi, are you able to update to Emby Server 4.8?

OK thanks for the update. By the way you can get past the server update messages by at least updating from 4.7.11 to 4.7.14. Most apps are looking for a minimum of 4.7.12 now, so updating to 4.7.14 should hold you for a while.