Long time to connect from nVidia Shiled

sonusfaber
Go to solution Solved by sonusfaber,

32 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

OK... since Tuesday until some minutes ago, I never touched Emby and, without reboots in the middle, it still connects immediately.

What next now?

Okay, then I guess you are in good shape, no?  If that's the case, then whatever this is, it must be something in the network internals of the device.

sonusfaber
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

it must be something in the network internals of the device

I am not so sure... since everything works... Kodi... Netflix... YouTube... online games... even Emby for android installed from the APK works... but not Emby for Android TV.

More over, Emby for Android TV starts working if the version for Android installed from the APK is on the Shield.

• 2 weeks later...
sonusfaber
On 10/1/2023 at 8:09 PM, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Yes... nothing changed... After a nVidia shield reboot, Emby takes up from 3 to 4 minutes to connect (to check the license, I understood).
Once rebooted, no problem... I can stop Emby and immeduiately restarts.
If on the Shield there side-loaded the Emby for Android not-TV... there are no problem at all.

1 hour ago, sonusfaber said:

up from 3 to 4 minutes to connect (to check the license, I understood)

That is not entirely correct.  I saw in your log that it was taking that call 30 seconds to respond - not 3 or 4 minutes.  I think that something in the underlying network layer is moving very slowly from some reason right after the device is rebooted.  Something is building a cache or checking something, I'm not sure but our slow call was just a symptom (and possible contributor) to that as opposed to the entire issue.

Since it never happens again unless you reboot the device, I don't think it is anything specific with the app per se.  However, the standard app appears to not suffer from this (its using a different network layer) so you have that option.

pwhodges

What's to look into?  I use IPv6 on my network and outside.  Emby uses it without any problem; I see clients connecting over IPv6, for instance.

Paul

Q-Droid
6 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

What's to look into?  I use IPv6 on my network and outside.  Emby uses it without any problem; I see clients connecting over IPv6, for instance.

Paul

Because when IPv6 is not in use on a LAN but devices still run enabled with a link-local (fe80::) address Emby will on some platforms and for some reason attempt to use IPv6 even though it's not a valid routable addr. Hence the timeouts when connecting to internet resources. We've seen this on some of the servers when running on Linux and it's possible the ATV app might be doing the same thing.

If IPv6 is in use and properly routed then it should work just as it does with IPv4.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Because when IPv6 is not in use on a LAN but devices still run enabled with a link-local (fe80::) address Emby will on some platforms and for some reason attempt to use IPv6 even though it's not a valid routable addr. Hence the timeouts when connecting to internet resources. We've seen this on some of the servers when running on Linux and it's possible the ATV app might be doing the same thing.

If IPv6 is in use and properly routed then it should work just as it does with IPv4.

That is not the issue.  The calls I saw were using domain names and, again, only accounted for a 30 second slow down.

Q-Droid
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

That is not the issue.  The calls I saw were using domain names and, again, only accounted for a 30 second slow down.

Domain queries to DNS respond with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. The calling application can use either and in recent years there's been a shift in OSs and apps to prefer IPv6 when enabled. All I'm suggesting is a quick test to disable IPv6 on the Shield if it's enabled. The setting is a simple toggle and if it does not make a difference in connection time then it's not the problem and can be taken off the list.

nslookup www.mb3admin.com 9.9.9.9
Server:         9.9.9.9
Address:        9.9.9.9#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.mb3admin.com        canonical name = mb3admin.com.
Name:   mb3admin.com
Address: 173.230.139.54
Name:   mb3admin.com
Address: 2600:3c02::f03c:91ff:fed7:7fa8

• Like 1

sonusfaber
On 10/11/2023 at 3:43 PM, ebr said:

That is not entirely correct.  I saw in your log that it was taking that call 30 seconds to respond - not 3 or 4 minutes.

OK... my fault. To be honest it takes 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

On 10/11/2023 at 4:40 PM, Q-Droid said:

Was IPv6 ever looked into? I didn't see a response.

IPv6 is DISABLED on Shield.

• Like 1

• Solution
sonusfaber

This message is to inform the community that the problem has been SOLVED !!!

Internet provider's fault.

In the last days I found other two apps with same issues as Emby for Android TV: the app to monitor the photovoltaic panels and SkyGo (the app to watch to Sky programs from Internet).
I installed TCPDump on the access point and captured the traffic and I looked into it with WireShark and found strange things.

I called the internet provider ( Vodafone ) thay told me such behaviour heppened 1 month and half ago, updating the firmware remotely of the routers, to fix some security issues.
Unfortunately such fixes introduced side effects (they told) that have been fixed on the very last generation of routers, but not the old ones, so... this morning a technician was here and replaced the old router with a new one.

NO MORE ISSUES... now Emby connects in seconds and also all the other apps work perfectly.

• Thanks 3