Long time to connect from nVidia Shiled

sonusfaber
Go to solution Solved by sonusfaber,

sonusfaber

Hello

here is my problem.
I had Emby server version 4.6.7.0 running on Ubuntu 20.04.03. I connect to this server from Android smartphone, Android tablet and also nVidia Shield with Android TV each one with its app.

Some days ago, more or less at the same time, the Android smartphone refused to connect. The app was saying that the server version was too old and asked to me to update the Emby server.
At the same time, the Emby app running on Invidia Shiled srtated to take very very long time to connect, with the message "Connecting..." and the wheel spinning up to 1 minute. Once connected, everything was fine.

So yesterday I updated the Emby server to 4.7.14.0 and the Emby app on the smartphone now connects again, but the app on nVidia always very long time to connect.
I also updated the versione of the app on nVidia, but no improvement.

Any other one with same problem or suggestion?

Hi.  Try logging out and connecting to the server again - manually if necessary.  It sounds like maybe it is trying an incorrect address and then falling back.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

sonusfaber

I already tried this way. Removed the servers entry in the app config e reload a new config... nothing... no improvement

The strange thing is that this "issue" appeared without any change in the config... no change on nVidia OS, no change on Emby app, no change on Emby server... it started at the same time the Emby app on the smartphone refused to connect saying that the server version was out of date.

Let me say... if the smartpho0ne is on the mobile connection (e.g. I am out of my home) and connects to the Emby server URL published on the Internet through the router... it is light speed fast.

jaycedk

Is your Nvidia connected through Wifi ?

It might you need to restart your wifi / router.

Have you restartet you device ?

sonusfaber
16 hours ago, ebr said:

Will try; yesterday I was not able to do that.

15 hours ago, jaycedk said:

s your Nvidia connected through Wifi ?

No, it is Gbps wired and moreover the issue is just when Emby starts... once started... it works perfectly as it is used to do (very nice piece of software.... happy to pay for it!!!)

Yesterday I noticed the following additional bahaviour: I remove the server entry in the Emby app, then restarted; it ask for the server and the user, I fill in the fields and then Emby connects at light speed. I close Emby and open again, noe the server entry is already filled... and it taked even 1 minute

12 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

noe the server entry is already filled... and it taked even 1 minute

Hi.  Make sure that the addresses shown on your Emby server dashboard are correct.

sonusfaber

I am sorry, but I am not able to enable the logging in the Android app. Maybe it is my fault... 
Anyway... servers entries are correct... moreover they works on the smartphone and the tablet.

10 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

I am sorry, but I am not able to enable the logging in the Android app. Maybe it is my fault... 
Anyway... servers entries are correct... moreover they works on the smartphone and the tablet.

Can you try doing a new server connection from inside the app and manually entering your server address?

sonusfaber
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try doing a new server connection from inside the app and manually entering your server address?

I already did it! I also removed the app and installed it again.
As soon I create a new server entry, I fill in the info regarding server address, user and password, then the app connects to the server at light speed.
Then I exit the app, reopen the app, and it take long time to connect.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:58 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Make sure that the addresses shown on your Emby server dashboard are correct.

Did you confirm this?

sonusfaber
14 hours ago, ebr said:

Did you confirm this?

Yes. They are correct.

Yesterday I installed Emby on a Xiaomi Mi Box that uses Android TV like nVidia Shield and it works with no problems at all.

sonusfaber
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Is the device on the same local network as the server?

Yes it is, same VLan\subnet.

I am not able to produce the log from the Emby app running on the nVidia... I checked the documentation but... nothing... for sure it is my fault.

Could you eventually show to me step-by-step hot to collect the log from the app?
Eventually would be enough the server log?

sonusfaber

Adding one more info.

My Emby server is also exposed to the Internet with its SSL cert.
The Internet router nats the public IP\ports to the private IP of the Emby server.
There is no difference connecting to the server from the nVidia Shield using the private IP on the LAN of the Emby server or connecting from outside on the public IP\port: it takes anyway long time.

sonusfaber
On 9/15/2023 at 6:07 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Instructions are here: 

I already know this document, but I can not enable logging or send logs.

Let me explain: if I select the icon with the USER, on the top-left of the Emby App screen, then a sub-menu appears with 2 choices:
- Change Server
- Disconnect

I can not find anything regarding logging... but for sure.. it is my fault

4 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

Let me explain: if I select the icon with the USER, on the top-left of the Emby App screen, then a sub-menu appears with 2 choices:
- Change Server
- Disconnect

Hi.  Are you logged into the app as an admin user?

sonusfaber
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Are you logged into the app as an admin user?

Sorry, but I do not understand the question... I have just one user defined on Emby and I am connected with it and this is the user that can administer the Emby server.

15 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

- Change Server
- Disconnect

What version number of the Emby app do you have on your Shield?

justinrh
50 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

this is the user that can administer the Emby server.

Then, yes, you are logged into the app as an admin user.

sonusfaber
7 hours ago, Luke said:

What version number of the Emby app do you have on your Shield?

At first I installed Emby on the Shield years ago, it worked very fine until some weeks ago and I NEVER changed such version

Some weeks ago, since I started to experience the issue of this thread and at the same time the Emby app on the tablet and smartphone stopped to connect saying that the server version was too old, I upgraded the Emby server and the smartphone and the tablet were again working perfectly, but no changes on the Shiled side.
So I upgraded also the Emby app on the Shiled to the most recent version available on the Google Play store, but no improvement at all.

Recap of versions:
- Server version ( Ubuntu ) : 4.7.14.0
- Smartphone Sony Xperia: 3.3.29
- Smartphone Huawey: 3.3.07
- Tablet Samsung: 3.3.07
- Tablet Kindle: 3.2.34
- nVidia Shiled - old version before the above upgrade: 1.8.54g - this started to experience the long time in connecting some weeks ago, so upgrade to...
- nVidia Shiled - new version installed some weeks ago: 2.0.90g - this is the version installed right now from the Google Play store

6 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

new version installed some weeks ago: 2.0.90g - this is the version installed right now from the Google Play store

Hi.  Are you sure?  The current version is 2.0.93g.

Did you turn on the "Debug option" in the app settings as directed in the instructions?

sonusfaber
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Are you sure?  The current version is 2.0.93g.

Did you turn on the "Debug option" in the app settings as directed in the instructions?

Yes I am, this is what I installed from the Google Play store where I can not select the version... I can just install or upgrade. This happenend some weeks ago (2 or MAX 3 weeks ago).
I am not able to enable debug on the Shield