Long time to connect from nVidia Shiled

sonusfaber
Go to solution Solved by sonusfaber,

rbjtech
44 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

I am used to Analiti since years and it runs on Android TV. Maybe it is my fault, but I can not see any way to ping a specific address. It automatically \ by itself pings devices on my LAN (it performs some kind of scan) and it ping the default gateway and the DNS, but I am not able to customize the address to ping.

I already searched other tools, without success... on Android TV there are much less app than on standard Android.

In settings I believe you can edit the target ping/tcp and dns addresses...image.png.105e8e095203ba36c33805fcecb79add.png

This was to mb3admin.com (I think - the interface is very clunky...)

Screenshot_20230922-091939.png.56a027e3544ccb35f768b23f784dbb23.pngScreenshot_20230922-091304.png.d0ad4ea4c1fa780346c56fbb1861c44f.png

Edited by rbjtech

Q-Droid
4 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

I am used to Analiti since years and it runs on Android TV. Maybe it is my fault, but I can not see any way to ping a specific address. It automatically \ by itself pings devices on my LAN (it performs some kind of scan) and it ping the default gateway and the DNS, but I am not able to customize the address to ping.

I already searched other tools, without success... on Android TV there are much less app than on standard Android.

Do you use IPv6 in your network and does the Shield have IPv6 enabled? If you're not using IPv6 and it's enabled on the Shield can you try disabling it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Q-Droid said:

Do you use IPv6 in your network and does the Shield have IPv6 enabled? If you're not using IPv6 and it's enabled on the Shield can you try disabling it?

Ooh.  That is at least worth a try.

sonusfaber
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Does the Shield have a browser ?

Well I see that inside the Analiti tool there is a web browser 🙂

So, even if I am not able to have Analiti to ping something different that the default gateway and DNS server... I can open the web browser inside Analiti app.
I point it to mb3admin.com and immediately I recevive the Emby web page. I do not know the response time, since it is just a matter to push OK and I have the web page.

rbjtech
17 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

Well I see that inside the Analiti tool there is a web browser 🙂

So, even if I am not able to have Analiti to ping something different that the default gateway and DNS server... I can open the web browser inside Analiti app.
I point it to mb3admin.com and immediately I recevive the Emby web page. I do not know the response time, since it is just a matter to push OK and I have the web page.

As I showed above - you can change it - but the web browser response is just as good - prooving there is no network transport layer issues getting to the emby license server from the Shield itself.     Without having your environment etc, it's almost impossible to help further though... 

Although I hate to say it - do you have the same issue with the Android (non TV) emby client - which you'll need to sideload ?

sonusfaber
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Although I hate to say it - do you have the same issue with the Android (non TV) emby client - which you'll need to sideload ?

Do you mean to download the apk version for Android not TV and install side by side to the Android TV version?

By the way... is there any chance for me to have a look at the log that the app send to developers? Is it locally stored somwhere?

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

Do you mean to download the apk version for Android not TV and install side by side to the Android TV version?

By the way... is there any chance for me to have a look at the log that the app send to developers? Is it locally stored somwhere?

Yes - both can work alongside each other - I'm just curious if that has the same issue.

No idea on the log, I believe it is sent directly to the Dev's - @ebrmay be able to confirm.

sonusfaber
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Yes - both can work alongside each other

BINGO!

I do not know the reason, but not it works.

I rebooted the Shield, then I opened Emby (Android TV version) with the same long time to connect. Then I installed Emby for Android from the APK downloaded from Emby website and run it: it connected immediately.
After that, now also Emby for Android TV starts immediately.

Seems that installing the Android NOT-TV version fixed something somewhere in the Android TV version. Any idea?

Edited by sonusfaber
  • Like 1

Hi, we'll take a look at it. In the meantime you can continue to use the standard app as it fully supports TV devices.

Thanks for reporting.

rbjtech
11 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

BINGO!

I do not know the reason, but not it works.

I rebooted the Shield, then I opened Emby (Android TV version) with the same long time to connect. Then I installed Emby for Android from the APK downloaded from Emby website and run it: it connected immediately.
After that, now also Emby for Android TV starts immediately.

Seems that installing the Android NOT-TV version fixed something somewhere in the Android TV version. Any idea?

Interesting.

It would be useful to know if uninstalling the apk leaves the AndroidTV version working ?

It sounds like a library or something got updated during the apk install.

Either way - glad it's working - so it wasn't network related at all - which we all thought as all the testing prooved nothing was wrong. :)

justinrh

Don't be so quick to think the standard app fixed something.  How repeatable and persistent is it?  You indicated varying behavior before using only ATV.

Also note that many of the ATV web browsers are not browsing from your device, as the browser is actually hosted in the cloud, so some results may be irrelevant.

sonusfaber
12 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It would be useful to know if uninstalling the apk leaves the AndroidTV version working ?

Good question...

Just performed some other tests...

With both Emby app for Android TV installed from the Google store and the Emby Android installed from the apk... both the versions run perfectly and both connect immediately.

I removed the Emby for Android and... Emby for Android TV again takes long time to connect. I measured 3 minutes and half.

To be more precise:
1) start from the nVidia Shiled clean after a reboot
2) Open Emby ATV... it keeps more then 3 minutes to connect
3) Exit Emby
4) Open Emby again... it opens immediately
5) Force Emby to stop from the nVidia app menu
6) Open Emby again... it opens again immediately
7) Reboot the Shield...
8 ) emby ATV again keeps minutes to connect

So... before I installed Emby for Android from the apk... evey time emby took long time to connect, even without any reboot in the middle.
Now, after having installed and then removed Emby for Android from the apk,,, it takes minutes just after a Shild reboot.

On 9/22/2023 at 4:13 PM, ebr said:

If you want to have a look, I sent a couple of logs through the app exactly 5 hours ago, so 12:30 PM your Eastern time.
User: emby

• Like 1

rbjtech
10 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

Good question...

Just performed some other tests...

With both Emby app for Android TV installed from the Google store and the Emby Android installed from the apk... both the versions run perfectly and both connect immediately.

I removed the Emby for Android and... Emby for Android TV again takes long time to connect. I measured 3 minutes and half.

To be more precise:
1) start from the nVidia Shiled clean after a reboot
2) Open Emby ATV... it keeps more then 3 minutes to connect
3) Exit Emby
4) Open Emby again... it opens immediately
5) Force Emby to stop from the nVidia app menu
6) Open Emby again... it opens again immediately
7) Reboot the Shield...
8 ) emby ATV again keeps minutes to connect

So... before I installed Emby for Android from the apk... evey time emby took long time to connect, even without any reboot in the middle.
Now, after having installed and then removed Emby for Android from the apk,,, it takes minutes just after a Shild reboot.

If you want to have a look, I sent a couple of logs through the app exactly 5 hours ago, so 12:30 PM your Eastern time.

Thanks for going the extra - Hopefully @Lukeand @ebrcan recreate this and resolve. 

17 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

I don't see any slow response here.  Looks like it came up within a couple seconds...

sonusfaber
6 hours ago, ebr said:

I don't see any slow response here.  Looks like it came up within a couple seconds...

Do not know what happened.

I just repeated the test and confirm: after a reboot, Emby for ATV takes more than 3 minutes to connect, then after that the next attempts are almost immediate until reboot.

I just sent two logs: the first after a reboot and the second after having closed Emby and reopened. Five minutes ago, so 16:50 Eastern time - 04:50 PM, more or less. user: emby

thanks

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the specific site.  It seems more that the first attempt to connect to anything outside the network is taking forever for some reason.

sonusfaber
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

It seems more that the first attempt to connect to anything outside the network is taking forever for some reason.

Why do you say "anything"?
Any other app connecting to outside work great and also Emby for Android sideloaded from the APK is great

1 hour ago, sonusfaber said:

Emby for Android sideloaded from the APK is great

One thing there is that app is using a completely different network library than the TV app.  I cannot explain what is actually happening though - except to say that particular call is just taking forever to return.

sonusfaber
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

One thing there is that app is using a completely different network library than the TV app.  I cannot explain what is actually happening though - except to say that particular call is just taking forever to return.

Consider that with BOTH the apps installed, BOTH the apps work... having just the ATV version... it takes minutes...

2 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

Consider that with BOTH the apps installed, BOTH the apps work... having just the ATV version... it takes minutes...

I think that is probably a coincidence but, if not, then it definitely would point to something in the network internals of the device.

Note that the check being made is only made once per day.  That is probably why you see it going fast the second time after you reboot the device - because it isn't even making that call.

sonusfaber
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Note that the check being made is only made once per day. 

Do you mean the licence check? So Emby checks the licenses against your servers once a day regardless reboot in the middle ?

I need now to add my last consideration: I am not a person that every day install updates... if something is working and I do not need anything else,,, I do not update. At the same time I almost NEVER reboot my devices... and I never reboot my Shield. So... when I said that this issue started some weeks ago, when i was just back from holiday... then I suppose that the same issue was "sleeping" on my Shield... but I did not noticed because I never reboot.

Try a test.  Don't reboot your Shield and try again at least 24 hours after the last time you had the issue.  Does the issue come back, or stay ok unless you reboot again?

sonusfaber
33 minutes ago, ebr said:

try again at least 24 hours after the last time you had the issue

So... since my daughert just turned off the TV and Emby... I have to avoid Emby for 24 hours?

16 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

I have to avoid Emby for 24 hours?

No.  Just don't reboot the device and see if the issue comes back in 24 hours.

sonusfaber
On 9/26/2023 at 3:22 PM, ebr said:

Just don't reboot the device and see if the issue comes back in 24 hours.

OK... since Tuesday until some minutes ago, I never touched Emby and, without reboots in the middle, it still connects immediately.

What next now?