Long time to connect from nVidia Shiled

sonusfaber
Go to solution Solved by sonusfaber,

sonusfaber

Just checked on Play Store and it is available the 2.0.93g version, Installed and,,,, same behavior as before.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Why not?

because if I tap on the "user" icon on the top right of the app's display, it gives me 2 options: change server or disconnect. no way to see something regarding logging or debug.

Again... maybe it is my fault... but I do not know what to do.

sonusfaber

Finally I sorted out the debug\logging problem. the debug option is the last one in the config menu, sub-menu visualization.

I enabled the debug e sent the log through the app on Shield.

How do you trigger what I sent through the app? do you need the Google user-id?

5 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

How do you trigger what I sent through the app?

From the instructions:

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

sonusfaber

OK. then... 

Log sent through the Emby app running on Shield September 20th, around 19:10  ( 07:10 PM) Eastern time

name of the user: "emby"

Thanks

Hi.  Where in the world is this app and are you running through any VPNs or proxies?  it is taking 30 seconds to get a response from our server that is stateside.

sonusfaber

Noth Italy.

the app runs on a stock Nvidia Shied TV set-top-box. Wired to the LAN @ 1 Gbps. Between the Shield and the Internet there is only a FTTH router. the FTTH is running @ 1 Gbps.

Speedtest from the Shield gives me aroud 600 Mbps.

Anyway the Shield and the Emby server are on the same wired LAN

sonusfaber

> tracert mb3admin.com

Tracing route to mb3admin.com [173.230.139.54]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     2 ms     1 ms  VSR1 [192.168.1.1]
  2     9 ms     6 ms     5 ms  net-5-94-4-1.cust.vodafonedsl.it [-----------------------]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     9 ms     9 ms     8 ms  185.210.48.38
  6     9 ms     8 ms     8 ms  185.210.48.39
  7     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  ae4-100-xcr1.mlk.cw.net [195.59.1.25]
  8     8 ms     7 ms    31 ms  ae1-xcr1.mlb.cw.net [195.2.25.102]
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10    17 ms    16 ms    17 ms  be2865.ccr32.mrs02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.74.177]
 11    33 ms    32 ms    31 ms  be3078.ccr32.bio02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.56.125]
 12    99 ms    97 ms    98 ms  be2332.ccr42.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.85.245]
 13   115 ms   114 ms   115 ms  be2113.ccr42.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24.222]
 14   115 ms   118 ms   113 ms  be2848.ccr41.atl04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.118]
 15   112 ms   111 ms   112 ms  38.142.129.98
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19   111 ms   111 ms   112 ms  www.emby.media [173.230.139.54]

Trace complete.

sonusfaber
33 minutes ago, ebr said:

And that took about 30 seconds, correct?  Those timeouts are slowing it down.

Let me understand... what's the matter with such timeouts? The slowness is when my Emby app on Shield tries to connect the Emby server and both are on the same LAN.

Do you eventually mean that app, to connect to the server, needs also to reach mb3admin.com ???

Just now, sonusfaber said:

Do you eventually mean that app, to connect to the server, needs also to reach mb3admin.com ???

It is trying to validate your license.  In most cases, this is done in the background so I'll have to look at it to see under what condition this would slow down the login.

jaycedk

This makes wonder, du you have a spare cable ?

Try with a new cable.

One time my daughter hamster chowed through mine, but not all the way.

Which gave latency, until replaced.

rbjtech

Not sure what a tracert is going to do - the delays in the ping responses during the tracert have nothing to do with accessing the host, it just means those hosts(routers) are not ICMP enabled ..

A simple web request to mb3admin.com will confirm connectivity - and just re-directs you to emby.media or use a powershell commend to test -

test-netconnection mb3admin.com -port 80

If that comes back instantly, then it's likely something on the Shield itself as alluded to by @jaycedk

You can also load network tools on the Shield itself (via Apps) and see ping responses to your emby server - they should be ms if on the LAN.

Other tools include iperf3 - where you setup a 'server' and 'client' and you can then see exactly what bandwidth you have between the shield and the server.

• Like 2

sonusfaber

I already setup a iperf "server" on the Ubuntu box where Emby server runs and the performance between the the two are "light fast".

It is not a matter of nVidia Shield speed... in that box run also Netflix, Kodi, etc. etc. and also Emby, once connected, is light fast.

As mentioned by 

1 hour ago, ebr said:

It is trying to validate your license.  In most cases, this is done in the background so I'll have to look at it to see under what condition this would slow down the login.

the problem is here... not on the cable, or anything else on the local "infrastructure"

3 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

the problem is here... not on the cable, or anything else on the local "infrastructure"

Well, not exactly, as something in your environment is causing an extremely slow response.  That response should be sub-second - even across the pond.

sonusfaber
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

Well, not exactly, as something in your environment is causing an extremely slow response.  That response should be sub-second - even across the pond.

Let me understand... you said ( tell me if I uderstood correctly ) that the problem is the slowness in between my Emby app running on the Shield and the server somewhere in the world that is validating my license. Is it correct?

If the answer is yes, then... the tracert command gives to us all the hops in the path from here to there. Where is the slowness?

Then... if the slowness is due to something in my infrastructure, then I shold experience the same problem using the Xiaomi Mi Box S while this is perfect... the same using the tablet on my LAN...

Then... if the slowness is due to something in my infrastructure, then I shold experience the same problem using the Xiaomi Mi Box S while this is perfect... the same using the tablet on my LAN...

Right so that's why people are starting to hone in on what may be on the Shield itself.  I can tell you the log you sent from the Shield showed a 30 second response time for that call.

justinrh

You could connect the Shield to your wireless network (same as your tablet) and see how the Shield responds.  That would tell if the wired connection or the Shield has an issue.

I do understand where sonusfaber is thinking the issue is outside of his network.

sonusfaber
4 hours ago, justinrh said:

I do understand where sonusfaber is thinking the issue is outside of his network.

Sorry... I mean that:
1) the slowness happens in reaching the server in U.S. that validates my license
2) any other device on my network, but the Shield, do not have any slowness problem
2.1) The Xiaomi Mi Box S that also runs official Android TV is OK
3) It does not matter using wireless or wired LAN... there is no difference in the behavior
4) Pinging the Emby license service from my LAN, regardless wired or wireless, provides around 100ms response time

---> then the problem is on the Shield only and not on the infrastructure

Any one can suggest a tool to run ping commands on the Shield? In the store I can not find anything...

rbjtech
48 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

Sorry... I mean that:
1) the slowness happens in reaching the server in U.S. that validates my license
2) any other device on my network, but the Shield, do not have any slowness problem
2.1) The Xiaomi Mi Box S that also runs official Android TV is OK
3) It does not matter using wireless or wired LAN... there is no difference in the behavior
4) Pinging the Emby license service from my LAN, regardless wired or wireless, provides around 100ms response time

---> then the problem is on the Shield only and not on the infrastructure

Any one can suggest a tool to run ping commands on the Shield? In the store I can not find anything...

analiti is a popular app - not pretty, but it works.

Does the Shield have a browser ?  Just http to mb3admin.com and see if it redirects.  If it does, then there is no issue with the Shields ability to reach the license server.

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

No it does not have.

analiti is an app I've used before.   There are a few other apps that do this in the store just by searching for 'network' - but I've never used them.

sonusfaber
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

analiti is an app I've used before.   There are a few other apps that do this in the store just by searching for 'network' - but I've never used them.

I am used to Analiti since years and it runs on Android TV. Maybe it is my fault, but I can not see any way to ping a specific address. It automatically \ by itself pings devices on my LAN (it performs some kind of scan) and it ping the default gateway and the DNS, but I am not able to customize the address to ping.

I already searched other tools, without success... on Android TV there are much less app than on standard Android.