4K HEVC and HDR Colours look incorrect

bighops15

bighops15

Hi I am using Emby on an iPhone 14 Pro Max and when I play any 4K HEVC or HDR files the colours look very off and way more green then they should. I have included comparison images. The first image (0604) is a 4K HDR file on Emby and the second image (0605) is through Infuse Player and also reflects how the stock IOS video player handles HDR colours. Are there any settings I can change to make the colours look accurate? I only have this problem on my iPhone, all my other devices including an android tablet, Windows PC and LG TV all show the colours perfectly. Hope someone can help! Thanks

IMG_0605.png

IMG_0604.png

• Agree 1

bighops15

Thanks Luke! To be clear the HDR in Emby looks darker and much more green overall when you compare the images. Also i forgot to mention that standard non HDR or HEVC videos look perfect so it does seem to be the way the Emby video player is handing colours for HDR or 4K HEVC content specifically. Let me know if you need any more detail from my end. Thanks!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

bighops15

Just adding a couple more images to illustrate how remarkable the difference is with the colours. The more blue tinted is Infuse which looks correct compared to the source file and the more green tinted image is Emby on IOS which just doesn’t look correct at all. Thanks, hope this can be fixed as it is the only thing keeping me from using Emby exclusively on all my devices!

IMG_0627.png

IMG_0626.png

• Thanks 1

flashls82

FWIW I also experienced this with an HDR file on the iOS app recently after not having any issues in the past (it’s a file that the Emby app played fine in HDR on my Roku TV). 

• Thanks 1

I was going to post here also to ask what's happening with HDR files. I have the latest iPad which is HDR capable and the colors are way off and dark.

And what about Dolby Vision? Can you play Dolby Vision files on the latest iPad? Not talking just about Emby, in general, does it support DV?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

iPhone 14 Pro Max here, colors are quite green tinted in hdr. SDR is fine. If I use nPlayer app my file plays fine. Also plays fine on my lg CX oled using Emby app. Seems to be an IOS problem as my wife’s iPhone 14 has the same issue.

also seems much darker than it should be.

IMG_1949.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, hoonlight said:

I have the same problem. Any idea when this will be resolved?

Hi, we are looking into it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
iogsignup

I have the same problem for couple of months,  Is there any schedule for fix that?   

Emby Web on ios safari cannot play hevc+hdr10 directly, thus there is no way to play HDR10 content in emby correctly on iPad and  iPhone except infuse, but infuse runs extremely slow while it have to sync with emby , and lack of the feature of supporting multi-versioning videos. 

On 1/11/2024 at 2:29 AM, iogsignup said:

I have the same problem for couple of months,  Is there any schedule for fix that?   

Emby Web on ios safari cannot play hevc+hdr10 directly, thus there is no way to play HDR10 content in emby correctly on iPad and  iPhone except infuse, but infuse runs extremely slow while it have to sync with emby , and lack of the feature of supporting multi-versioning videos. 

HI, we are looking into this. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
kira yamato

Greenish tone is still the problem for both ios and ipados mostly happened with all HDR10and Dolby vision files with hevc encode

• 1 month later...
kiraphim00

this bug force me to use plex for 4k hdr10 and dolby vision its happend with all file with hevc (hdr10,DV) so annoy this should be the main problem. any update about the fixing progress??

On 3/18/2024 at 8:19 AM, kiraphim00 said:

this bug force me to use plex for 4k hdr10 and dolby vision its happend with all file with hevc (hdr10,DV) so annoy this should be the main problem. any update about the fixing progress??

Hi, we are looking into this. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
hoonlight
I'm experiencing a green tint issue when playing HDR videos directly on iOS and iPadOS.
@Luke
I understand you have many other responsibilities, but this seems like a high-priority issue. I would appreciate a prompt resolution.
Edited by hoonlight
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2024 at 15:43, hoonlight said:
I'm experiencing a green tint issue when playing HDR videos directly on iOS and iPadOS.
@Luke
I understand you have many other responsibilities, but this seems like a high-priority issue. I would appreciate a prompt resolution.

Agree, it should be the first priority to fix on IOS, Wrong color should consider as  cannot watch. And i think ios have lesser problem than other platform ,at least update the progression for almost 7month problem.

Edited by kiraphim00
  • Agree 1