@GreatFlashManLooking at you .nfo file I have another Discogrelease id 

Yours.

<uniqueid type="discogsrelease">7436111</uniqueid>
  <discogsreleaseid>7436111</discogsreleaseid>

Mine

<uniqueid type="discogsrelease">37757</uniqueid>
  <discogsreleaseid>37757</discogsreleaseid>

Just wondering if thats the issue.

I have deleted all the nfo files and they get rebuilt the same?

Ronstang

OK. i added just a-ha to a music library on my beta server with the same settings as you have and nowhere do I get A HA, all metadata is a-ha as it should be as that is how my tags are filled out.  Are you sure one or more of your files don't have A HA in the album artist field in the tags?

Have you tried making a new music library with just a-ha in it to see what happens?

Have you actually loaded all your files into a mp3 tag editor like Tag&Rename (the best in my opinion) to make sure you don't have any errant tags?

Edited by Ronstang

GreatFlashMan

sorry, been a busy bee of late,

Yes, i did solve it (and including the *nsync etc) with the latest beta. Fixing A-HA, Eagle-Eye Cherry, and The B-52s took a while. I had to remove them (and also i deleted all nfo files) and all music videos related, do a full scan, a full metadata refresh. Then I put them back, one artist at a time, and did a full scan, and metadata again, and so on. Then finally videos one at a time doing the same. Perhaps being overcautious, but if it did not fix it, at least I knew I had taken the long route lo.

So yeah, so far everything appears spot on, so happy as larry.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

GreatFlashMan
On 31/08/2023 at 19:41, Ronstang said:

Have you actually loaded all your files into a mp3 tag editor like Tag&Rename (the best in my opinion) to make sure you don't have any errant tags?

These are something i am meticulous about and all my files are perfectly tagged with no unneeded fields (including music videos), so I knew it was not that. 

Perhaps part of it was related do being on the beta train and something had gone awry through revisions?

Edited by GreatFlashMan

Ronstang

I am glad you solved your issues.  I am very meticulous about my tags too but every once in a while I find an errant one but that is usually based on the original source of the files themselves.....in other words ones I where I did not rip the music myself and create that tags on my own.  I have over 5000 CDs and when I loaded them into emby I began to find a few issues I did not know about because they never presented themselves with any other application I used to manage and play my music.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GreatFlashMan
6 hours ago, Ronstang said:

I am glad you solved your issues.  I am very meticulous about my tags too but every once in a while I find an errant one but that is usually based on the original source of the files themselves.....in other words ones I where I did not rip the music myself and create that tags on my own.  I have over 5000 CDs and when I loaded them into emby I began to find a few issues I did not know about because they never presented themselves with any other application I used to manage and play my music.

I always strip all existing tags totally and retag, just to be sure.

• Like 1

Ronstang
2 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

I always strip all existing tags totally and retag, just to be sure.

Well, the reason I don't do that is sometimes in the comments section there are little tidbits of information I find interesting whether it be technical or info about the band or specific info about which exact version of the album I am dealing with....albeit sometimes it's erroneous 😀.  This is more prevalent when using CueTools which I do use a lot when organizing my lossless CD image collection because I am particular about pressings and this is how I keep them straight because with certain bands there have been many pressings over the years and not all are good.

I am using CueTools a lot lately when I visit my music collection because I have to take all my CD images and make FLAC tracks out of them to play in emby.  I prefer WavPack but emby does not support it so I and going back and converting it all to FLAC which gives me time to revisit the tags once again.  My collection is huge and was started almost 25 years ago on the computer when I started by taking all my vinyl that was not available on CD and digitizing it manually.  Plus my tagging protocol has changed over the years based on how I use my music.  While the tags are usually my standard I now have lossless and multiple mp3 versions of most depending on how and where they are played.  It gets overwhelming at times.

When I loaded one version of my mp3s into emby earlier this year for the first time I found a few anomalies that only presented themselves in emby at which time I went and corrected the few tags causing the issue.  This is the only reason I asked you if you had double checked your tags....but since you erase and rebuild that is definitely not the issue.

GreatFlashMan

I tend to use FLAC for everything now, all my rips being lossless.

When I first moved from Plex to Emby, I did have to also do a fair bit of editing due to Emby highlighting issues, and that's when I thought that rather than check each one, I will strip all tags and start afresh. Was well worth doing, though did take a couple of weeks.

Originally, they were all (in the end) recognised and shown correctly, but then something happened between beta's (and removing the appdata artist images) that highlighted another issue (and the reason for this post) that thankfully appears to be fixed.

:)

GreatFlashMan
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Do you still have any problem examples?

Not at the moment that I can see, and my APPDATA is clear of album artists as well, so looking very promising.

Sorry for late replies, work's been mad.

• Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan

ok, there is one minor thing now,

Somehow, Music Videos are no longer linking to the artist (and when viewed, artwork is again added to appdata).

My Folder structure matches music, ie.

/Nena/99 Red Balloons.mkv

and the mkv file is tagged (and emby also has the musicbrainz id in it's meta)

Anything else I should be doing?

image.thumb.png.7b21fbfd510f8d2d914d4076b849dc9d.png

image.thumb.png.411a098f59028d9b81fd01aafcf13ba4.png

As can been seen here, just viewing music videos results in images being downloaded to appdata (again, all image download is off in library settings),

Sorry if i am being a pain... (I usually am)

GreatFlashMan

yes

It appears that it will attempt to download to appdata the same as music used to.

It is finding artwork for some of the artists in the videos, but missing several others, and they are all tagged correctly and data links to the music artist as well, so odd.

Edited by GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan

so, to try and get to the root of the issue, I removed ALL music videos. Scanned the empty library, and then did a metadata refresh. I then did a full scan of the entire system from scheduled tasks. The intention was to put the videos back one by one to see where the problem is.

But...

I noticed the in the music library some artists are again missing covers, Nena being one, so focusing on this.

image.png.9e8bf976077f0481ce74f8140b65b2f0.png

So, I have tried everything to fix Nena. I have removed the artist, done full scans both ways, put here back, done the same, and it never finds the artwork (Is it somehow still looking for the music videos? god knows). 

If i manually add the artwork, you have guessed it, they go into APPDATA again (and again, all settings are saying to use the media folder only).

I cannot get the artwork recognised at all, any ideas what to try?

image.png.7254d16b981ab4669f4b3c755dd683e8.png

And yes, they are fully and correctly tagged.

GreatFlashMan

just done it again, removed, scanned, put back a single Nena album, scanned, etc.

And still no artwork or anything? It's not even reading the nfo file for bio.

image.thumb.png.61b26379e042d354728ab6a60733ab81.png

GreatFlashMan

will investigate this further, but... the issue is a non valid filename character in the tags. 

image.thumb.png.456da9c47138c253dfd835aab2d2cd63.png

because the filename (of course) does not match, in fact the filename is

M:\Nena\99 Luftballons (1984)\Nena - 99 Luftballons - 02.flac

If I change it to anything else, it scans and works.

But... This should not happen. This should not stop an artist from being recognised because of this.

I don't know what Emby is doing behind the scenes as changing the filename to something else that also does not match the meta data worked, I changed it to "Nena - 99 Luftballons - 02 - Q.flac" and rescanned and now all the artist info and images have been pulled?

image.thumb.png.4019f86645ebcccc26d0f3ab231ebd69.png

image.thumb.png.4404bc0472a5c1637e237371f86c7a1f.png

Yep, I am baffled, but this is certainly something that needs looking at.

Edited by GreatFlashMan

• 1 month later...