Album Artist Images

GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan
17 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Just thinking out loud, does 1 of your songs have the image embedet in its mp3tag.

Even though it looks like you disabled embedet  images.

no, only album images the same as what I also have as folder.ext images in the album folder.

My metadata folder (that is meant to be ignored in Appdata) contains a folder for every artist in my music library, if I delete the entire folder, it's back again. I would be curious if someone else looked in their appdata folder if they have settings set to store with library (and not the default AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\musicartists) to see if theirs contains a ton of images that should not be there?

Edited by GreatFlashMan
  • Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan

sorry for the delay on this,

So, I picked on the Bangles for want of a better artist (my config is as has been shown before at the start of this topic) as this has no artist image.

image.thumb.png.a2c853af35b56b5d3d0c127b2a109727.png

but, it does have the image in the artists directory where emby should pick it up from

image.thumb.png.75340ab34a458e41e538464b6be229f1.png

(yes, i covered all the bases :) )

and here is the Appdata folder prior (that should be empty as I have provided all media and set it to use the music directory)

image.png.e0b60c9bf4cebb5daa5cbe9a9f88aa8a.png

as you can see, currently, there is no entry for The Bangles, and should not be as it should be using the provided media

so, i add the image "folder.jpg" that is already in the artists folder in my music collection,

image.png.8acfeab7039c4e2046f5ca45ba6bea8b.png

image.thumb.png.0e04b59233215b3b32b58f9e4fd9c321.png

and the folder.jpg in the media location has not been replaced as you would expect, but rather than that, it has not copied the image to Appdata?????

(specifically in \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\musicartists\The Bangles-musicbrainzartist-f31ec2ac-9071-4306-acd1-d2c8321033b5)

image.png.54499487adc8c89d98875daa5697bac7.png

and it's contents are the exact same image as i added.

image.thumb.png.e611015072c375e0442d0b5c63c6dc5b.png

So, this is certainly not expected when Emby is told not to.

embyserver.txt

Hopefully the log is of some use.

• Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan

I do want to add to this also that even Refresh Metadata on an artist is doing the same.

image.thumb.png.a648c0e94d96927d77bfc1f3b9f0536f.png

appdata prior

image.thumb.png.00ca3f6de420ddd61549b4cc5e22da31.png

and after

image.thumb.png.0a2b81af94000551e7ae9f6df911d280.png

image.thumb.png.4f7612351188210935de032d95d1555b.png

now, previously you said that it was not trying to grab online, but it is, even though ALL image fetchers are off?

2023-08-08 18:22:24.894 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.theaudiodb.com/images/media/artist/thumb/uusxwr1557790582.jpg

and this is the image that it used rather than the one i provided.

image.thumb.png.e1068cfcd137dd52c7c44631de94cab0.png

and the one it SHOULD have used from the get go...

image.thumb.png.84279a41aff4f1c313a1999a2e39eb23.png

and another log...

embyserver-63827115781.txt

Now, if it used the images I provided, I would be happy to turn image fetching on as a backup in case I did not have one, same goes for artist logo etc.

Edited by GreatFlashMan
  • Thanks 1

OK very strange. Can you please shutdown your server, zip up your library.db file and PM it to me? Thanks.

GreatFlashMan
9 hours ago, Luke said:

OK very strange. Can you please shutdown your server, zip up your library.db file and PM it to me? Thanks.

Will do as soon as i can,

• Like 1

OK i think I found something. Please let me know how the next build compares. Thanks.

• Like 1

GreatFlashMan

@Luke Was the latest release meant to fix this? It doesn't

I removed my AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\musicartists directory in anticipation, and did a scan. It has grabbed 4 fanart images and shoved them there, and tons of my artists are now missing artist images (though again, they are provided in the music library - and ignored!)

image.thumb.png.e9f9a1e589c9fe492391a088b6a34c42.png

here's a small portion of the library after the scan and removal of appdata store.

image.thumb.png.b6724999b6609694e0bf2fe2df8cec37.png

appdata is still being populated even though (4 non blondes) the images are there?

image.thumb.png.1cc5db6f7502a7ed2d2fa632dc52430d.png

tell me please this is a minor omission, or was all this log/image/description effort all in vain?

GreatFlashMan

and, to make it more irritation, i go to look at the artist 4 Non Blondes, and a fresh artist logo is downloaded to appdata (different to the one provided)

image.png.1c381d6367f9c53c532847884efb47ff.png

image.thumb.png.0b6331b13a8584d724deca313a91ebe4.png

and here is my logo in the artists music folder...

image.png.d97df02353c28b513bcbe6c5b6c68be7.png

GreatFlashMan

and a log of course

2023-08-12 16:41:52.487 Debug ProviderManager: Saving image to C:\Users\Flash\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\musicartists\4 Non Blondes-musicbrainzartist-efef848b-63e4-4323-8ef7-69a48fbdd51d\fanart.jpg

what?

embyserver.txt

GreatFlashMan

so, then i refreshed metadata on artists Nsync and Abba.

Nsync added nothing, did not use provided artwork, and left it blank as above,

Abba added artwork, after downloading it, and placed it in AppData again???

embyserver (1).txt

Are you sure you didn't forget about this in the update as nothing has changed that i can tell, artworks for artists is still totally screwed.

Fix artists not saving images into media folders in certain situations

no, sorry, you haven't.

Edited by GreatFlashMan

Can you use the image editor to manually select new images for both avril and b-52s, then attach the server log? (again with debug logging enabled). thanks.

• Like 1

GreatFlashMan

sorry for the delay.

ok, did it for both artists (and only them artists after a fresh log)

Appdata prior.

image.thumb.png.6fc88b06e81c3a1c15b0b4d0ee7a8171.png

and after....

image.thumb.png.c9069927f77942a70a1c870ef94e1f80.png

no idea why other (OR ANY) artist images appeared.

nothing was modified in the artists main library directory from what i can see. But the image manually added ended up there.

image.png.71976c8765345dfd8e99af8fbb8dd36a.png

and the log

From what I can tell, it's not using the music library at all for artists images. Adding an image places in it appdata, refreshing an artist still looks for the image (music video fetcher?) online (even if exists as it does not look in the library) and dumps it to appdata also.

embyserver.txt

OK I took another look at your database and issue with the b52's is that the artist name tagged into the files does not match the folder name exactly. It's two different dash characters, but we should be able to normalize that.

The issue with amy winehouse and probably others is that it's picking up the library options for your music videos instead of music, so that's easily adjustable.

Please let me know if 4.8.0.43 resolves it. Thanks.

GreatFlashMan
3 hours ago, Luke said:

OK I took another look at your database and issue with the b52's is that the artist name tagged into the files does not match the folder name exactly. It's two different dash characters, but we should be able to normalize that.

The issue with amy winehouse and probably others is that it's picking up the library options for your music videos instead of music, so that's easily adjustable.

Please let me know if 4.8.0.43 resolves it. Thanks.

The B-52's use the meta the musicbrainz provides, and in many cases (AC/DC for instance) the name in the meta will not match the name in the file system form very obvious reasons, and also the same reason that the metadata for artist name exists - invalid FS characters.

Amy Winehouse and the HUNDREDS of others i do not feel is related to music videos at all...

There is one thing to remember, in the library for music, this is enabled,

<SaveLocalMetadata>true</SaveLocalMetadata>

and honoured for everything (it appears) except for artists,

Regardless of allowing image downloaders of any sort (or not), Emby should be checking the local media folder, ie "Music/The B-52's/" for "folder.ext" and using it if present, if it's not present and the artist image downloading is off - it should just show nothing. if artist image downloading is on - it should be grabbing the artist (fanart/logo) images and placing them in "Music/The B-52's/" and NOT in AppData. AppData should be ignored on all count's for retrieving or storing media if SaveLocalMetadata is enabled.

Edited by GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan

I will add another anomaly.

If I do a refresh all metadata on the library at root level, it's finds no album artwork either in my media, or online. Well, not strictly true, it finds 1 "ABBA" and adds a single fanart.png to appdata.

image.thumb.png.ee53faf46d6c58d284c8aa88e6061f59.png

if i refresh metadata on the artist itself, it will download the artwork and place in appdata (not using existing artwork).

I would expect refresh on the whole library to iterate all artists and refresh the same as if i did them all manually, or am i missing something regarding it's function?

I do hope you fix this as my OCD is hating looking at this....

image.thumb.png.b6694ce72d9371fd31d9df5e04597298.png

also odd that some artists do use the artwork, and some don't. There's certainly some odd behavior going on. ie. if I click on Adele, the clearlogo will appear in appdata? (yes, it's already present in the media folder).

Just in case it may help, here's the library options

options.xml

Edited by GreatFlashMan

HI, if you refresh metadata at the library level, it will ultimately refresh artists and do the same thing as refreshing an artist individually, but currently this activity all happens in the background, and with no way to monitor it, that can lead you into thinking it's not working, but just give it time. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

GreatFlashMan

@LukeI am mostly happy to report that the latest beta appears to have fixed the artist issue.

I have done a full metadata refresh on music, and after hours it did not change anything (will leave it overnight and see if it does it in background). Manually refreshing each artist works, and nothing is being placed in appdata :) woot

but... There is an issue

Artists with non standard names do not find artwork, examples are "*NSYNC" "AC/DC", and the ilk. it's odd as with *NSYNC it fails on the artist, but has worked with the album of the same name. in my directory structure, the artist is listed as "--NSYNC" as the folder name and "AC+DC" for the other. The NSYNC album is "-NSYNC (1997)" and artworks there are working fine.

I know I can rename the directories (though this would break with Lidarr) to fix, but mention it as the album artwork is found, so not sure why artist would not be as the folder.ext is still within the folder the artist resides within.

Thanks in advance for your sterling work on this.

2023-08-25 16_43_32-THE ODEON.png

2023-08-25 16_43_56--NSYNC.png

2023-08-25 16_44_53-THE ODEON.png

Edited by GreatFlashMan
  • Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan

just wanted to add another example of when it fails to find artwork. the folder is "Daryl Hall & John Oates" though emby lists it as simply "Hall & Oats" (not sure where it gets that from) so Emby fails to find the artwork.

i suspect it's expecting to find it in a "Hall & Oats" directory, but what it should be doing is looking it the directory that is linked to the artists media instead. Can this be fixed @Luke?

The media's mb tag also links to the full artists name (so, any idea why Emby sees a different name?).

2023-08-25 21_13_09-THE ODEON.png

2023-08-25 21_12_49-Mp3tag v3.19  -  __NASUK_Plex Media_Music_Daryl Hall & John Oates_.png

2023-08-25 21_16_35-Album Artist Images - Page 2 - General_Windows - Emby Community.png

2023-08-25 21_18_41-Daryl Hall & John Oates - MusicBrainz.png

Edited by GreatFlashMan

47 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

just wanted to add another example of when it fails to find artwork. the folder is "Daryl Hall & John Oates" though emby lists it as simply "Hall & Oats" (not sure where it gets that from) so Emby fails to find the artwork.

i suspect it's expecting to find it in a "Hall & Oats" directory, but what it should be doing is looking it the directory that is linked to the artists media instead. Can this be fixed @Luke?

The media's mb tag also links to the full artists name (so, any idea why Emby sees a different name?).

2023-08-25 21_13_09-THE ODEON.png

2023-08-25 21_12_49-Mp3tag v3.19  -  __NASUK_Plex Media_Music_Daryl Hall & John Oates_.png

2023-08-25 21_16_35-Album Artist Images - Page 2 - General_Windows - Emby Community.png

2023-08-25 21_18_41-Daryl Hall & John Oates - MusicBrainz.png

This one might be your tagging. 

Directories are not linked to artists. We try and figure out the directory of the artist based on where the song is, which usually means going up two levels from the song. Then there are additional safeguards where the album artist of the track has to match the name of the directory.

GreatFlashMan
11 hours ago, Luke said:

This one might be your tagging. 

Directories are not linked to artists. We try and figure out the directory of the artist based on where the song is, which usually means going up two levels from the song. Then there are additional safeguards where the album artist of the track has to match the name of the directory.

I have shown the tagging above, and it is 100% match for music brainz, so it's not that.

Anyway,

In my library settings i have "Perfectly organised into artist/folder, with tracks directly in the album folders" selected, well, because there are :) 

We try and figure out the directory of the artist based on where the song is, which usually means going up two levels from the song

and that is the case in every artist that still cannot find artwork, and yet it fails to find it.

Then there are additional safeguards where the album artist of the track has to match the name of the directory

Well, that to me airs of folly. Using the artists name in the meta to match or even expect a directory named the same is mad. The point of the Metadata in tracks is they do not have to follow valid characters used for file names. you can have "AC/DC" in meta, but you cannot have a directory named the same, this goes for "*NSYNC" and many others. So, that method is a no no.

So, there is certainly an issue to be looked at as for some reason artists are being overlooked.

I did a test, i have "Counting Crows" as listed in Emby, and the folder is "Counting Crows", but Emby misses artwork on this artist? All files are tagged perfectly with MB as well (as can be seen in the image). So, I decided to manually add the folder.ext to it in the meta editor. Low and behold, off it pops to AppData.

So, this is 95% working now, but there are some cases that fail based on directory name not matching artist name, and the case above that i cannot fathom.

2023-08-26 10_23_22-Music.png

2023-08-26 10_15_08-Tags.png

2023-08-26 10_17_42-Counting Crows.png

2023-08-26 10_17_00-Chrome Remote Desktop - Odeon Max.png

GreatFlashMan

ps. I know it sounds like i am always finding fault - but I am more hoping to help make Emby better by finding them :)

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with being a match for music brainz or not. It is about comparing the value of the album Artist tag to the name of the folder that is two levels above the song.

GreatFlashMan
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

It has nothing to do with being a match for music brainz or not. It is about comparing the value of the album Artist tag to the name of the folder that is two levels above the song.

why compare if my library is set to ""Perfectly organised into artist/folder, with tracks directly in the album folders""?

The artist tag will not match the folder in all cases, so that cannot be used.

Also (mine do not) many people have multi CDs in Artist/Album/CD1/ format, so that will not work also.

But, Emby already knows the folder format else it would not be able to play the song. It knows where the song is located, and surely the folder the albums are located in.

if the song was /MUSIC/ABBA/Voulez Vouz/a song.flac

Then Emby knows the artist is the first directory from root of the music media library?

Either way, several artists do not work finding their image, and when added manually, they end up back in APPDATA, both undesired of course.