Album Artist Images

GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

It has nothing to do with being a match for music brainz

though you did say the tagging was leveraged in the very next sentence.

1 minute ago, GreatFlashMan said:

It is about comparing the value of the album Artist tag to the name of the folder

So, you are using the tag in the audio file that MB placed there.

also, the Counting Crows shown above, Tag, Artist, and directory match, but it does not find the album artwork and adding it places it in Appdata.

Today, for the sake of sanity, I gave Plex access to the music library, and it found every artist correctly, none are missing. I have no idea what process Plex uses as we are not privvy to their source, but it works. Sadly, I don't want to use Plex - that's where i migrated from, and that would be a backwards step.

21 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

though you did say the tagging was leveraged in the very next sentence.

So, you are using the tag in the audio file that MB placed there.

also, the Counting Crows shown above, Tag, Artist, and directory match, but it does not find the album artwork and adding it places it in Appdata.

Today, for the sake of sanity, I gave Plex access to the music library, and it found every artist correctly, none are missing. I have no idea what process Plex uses as we are not privvy to their source, but it works. Sadly, I don't want to use Plex - that's where i migrated from, and that would be a backwards step.

The server did find the artists in the audio file. This topic isn't about finding artists. This topic is about saving images in artist media folders. Plex doesn't even have that option, so how would you even be able to use Plex?

GreatFlashMan
1 hour ago, Luke said:

The server did find the artists in the audio file. This topic isn't about finding artists. This topic is about saving images in artist media folders. Plex doesn't even have that option, so how would you even be able to use Plex?

It finds all my images. Emby doesn't. 

GreatFlashMan

With the counting crows issue mentioned above. Anything you need me to do to get a good log file that may help?

GreatFlashMan

Yes. Plenty. All named and tagged the same format. 

There is a lot of other artists as well. Marilyn Manson, AC/DC, and so on. 

3 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Yes. Plenty. All named and tagged the same format. 

There is a lot of other artists as well. Marilyn Manson, AC/DC, and so on. 

I mean besides underneath the counting crows artist folder?

GreatFlashMan

ok, I did find an issue with Counting Crows, one of the albums was nestled into CD1 and CD2 format, though none of the others where, so would expect one album to have been able to go two dirs up and get the artwork?

image.thumb.png.5bd16d45005400835f81e719d5b43c25.png

But this does not help with many other albums. We know that an artist with a name that breaks valid filename/directory strings does not work, currently these are

"*NSYNC" (Stored in dir "-NSYNC")
"AC/DC" (Stored in dir "AC+DC")

These are the two red flags, but there are others that I am at a loss to understand why they do not find artwork.

A-HA is confusing?

"a-ha", Emby has this in the meta as "A HA" and I can edit it, but it reverts back regardless, only the sort name can be changed. The directory is "a-ha" (so valid) and all are tagged "a-ha". I don't know why emby lists it as "A HA" at all as it's not in any of my data, and even MB site has it as "a-ha".

image.png.12ac859af6228e30b6c7d6cdc9ac0051.png

image.thumb.png.c2fc6110719676c4bfa4f181a293b4d6.png

image.png.618c6377587b5d43a222ad0a0d2da9d9.png

This does have Music Videos in the Music Video Library associated with it, (All tagged to match artist as "a-ha") and in a directory called "a-ha"

Others with this issue are,

"The B‐52s" in folder "The B‐52s" (no music videos, and not in any compilation albums/various artists)
"Eagle-Eye Cherry" in folder "Eagle‐Eye Cherry" (one music video, and not in any compilation albums/various artists)

So, in total, 5 artists, 2 because they use invalid path characters, and 3 for no reason i can see?

Hope this is of some help and anything you want me to try, I am happy to do as I would dearly like my library to be presented perfectly.

Perhaps a wider RegEX scope on pattern matching between artist name and filepath when invalid characters are found would help (* to -, / to + or -, etc)?

Edited by GreatFlashMan

so would expect one album to have been able to go two dirs up and get the artwork?

Yes, but you have to name the disc folders using our multi-disc album conventions. It can't be just anything. Try Disc 01, Disc 02 folder names instead.

"*NSYNC" (Stored in dir "-NSYNC")
"AC/DC" (Stored in dir "AC+DC")

Right these can be easily handled. We can account for these characters.

• Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes, but you have to name the disc folders using our multi-disc album conventions. It can't be just anything. Try Disc 01, Disc 02 folder names instead.

As a rule (and this was one I missed) I don't have any tracks in folders for multi cd, the tracks are names with disc number, track number, and full meta.

as shown here,

image.thumb.png.2b2638bd2b79a6e95f23f99c3595af6f.png

11 hours ago, Luke said:

Right these can be easily handled. We can account for these characters.

That would be awesome, just not pattern matching to invalid characters "should" fix it.

But, that leaves the other 3.

a-ha

This is just plain annoying and really need some help on how to fix this? All meta is "a-ha" and perfectly tagged, the directory is "a-ha" as well, yet, Emby lists the artist as "A HA", and to make it worse, by default, the sort artist field is "HA". I can modify the sort one, but not the artist name, it reverts back to "A HA" if i add the hyphen? Why? So, not only is it not finding artwork (perhaps because it expects "A HA" as the dir), but I cannot modify it. using "Identify" on any of the 2 results it gives for "a-ha" results in the same artist name (no hyphen) and the sort name as "HA".

The B‐52s and Eagle-Eye Cherry

Neither of these find artwork, and i do wonder if there's something to do with the hyphens? (though I have other artists in my library that have hyphens) But all 3 remaining artists that i have issues with have hyphens in their names (and directories).

Well, not many other that have a hyphen,

(G)I‐DLE
Anti-Nowhere League
Run‐D.M.C.
Salt‐N‐Pepa
Wu‐Tang Clan

And these all find artwork?

These ones I cannot fix. If i manually add artwork, then that artwork goes to APPDATA

Any suggestions or anything you would like me to try, I am happy to do. It's so close now :) lol

Edited by GreatFlashMan

What I would do is go through the metadata editor for all songs and music videos that are attached to the A Ha artist. Check the artist and album artist values for each of those and see if you can find one named A Ha instead of A-ha.

• Like 1

GreatFlashMan
6 hours ago, Luke said:

What I would do is go through the metadata editor for all songs and music videos that are attached to the A Ha artist. Check the artist and album artist values for each of those and see if you can find one named A Ha instead of A-ha.

I will have a look in the meta editor. 

I did remove all meta tags on these artists and do them fresh from musicbrainz to be sure. 

Also checked in mp3tag with normal and extended tags. 

GreatFlashMan

Right, have checked this.

Non of the files are tagged "A HA", none of the videos either, everything is tagged "a-ha" in all artist fields. The directory is also "a-ha".

But, in the metadata editor, everything is marked as "A HA". I even removed a-ha totally, rescanned fully (to attempt to purge) and added and rescanned (both meta and library) and they popped back as "A HA". Totally at a loss and it's driving me nuts. Emby is certainly getting itself confused for some reason?

image.thumb.png.22e7e9594c25ffb0b813c91202d19b53.png

image.thumb.png.30ad407f8c4125714a1709bf608a0f83.png

Checked the other artists (other than the 2 with illegal path characters) and there is no reason i can see for them not to find artwork?

image.thumb.png.2253b5e10a122d0ddc93fe7df657b6a3.png

HELP! :)

It's hard to know where that came from then. I would suggest moving all aha content out of your library, then running a scan of all libraries , then adding it back.

GreatFlashMan
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It's hard to know where that came from then. I would suggest moving all aha content out of your library, then running a scan of all libraries , then adding it back.

er...

1 hour ago, GreatFlashMan said:

I even removed a-ha totally, rescanned fully (to attempt to purge) and added and rescanned (both meta and library) and they popped back as "A HA"

i did...

you are just like the wife, never listen to a word I say... ;)

So, somewhere it's getting "A HA" and it's not in my data anywhere. And also, don't forget there are issues with 2 other artists, and again, it's not in my data, So really confused, and really frustrated that out of all the artists - 5 are still being a pain for no reason at all that I can see.

20 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

er...

i did...

you are just like the wife, never listen to a word I say... ;)

So, somewhere it's getting "A HA" and it's not in my data anywhere. And also, don't forget there are issues with 2 other artists, and again, it's not in my data, So really confused, and really frustrated that out of all the artists - 5 are still being a pain for no reason at all that I can see.

Right, but we don't know from where, and that process can help us track it down.

GreatFlashMan
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right, but we don't know from where, and that process can help us track it down.

I did that process, and it came up as "A HA" again. I can do it again.

If I remove the 3 artists, do a full scan, and meta, anything else I need to do to purge them before adding back one by one to see?

GreatFlashMan

I even deleted the .nfo files, just in case, and they came back with "A HA"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2023-06-27 16:45:45</dateadded>
  <title>Cast in Steel</title>
  <year>2015</year>
  <sorttitle>Cast in Steel</sorttitle>
  <premiered>2015-09-04</premiered>
  <releasedate>2015-09-04</releasedate>
  <runtime>74</runtime>
  <genre>Rock</genre>
  <genre>Electronic</genre>
  <genre>Pop</genre>
  <genre>Synth-Pop</genre>
  <musicbrainzalbumid>b00a419a-f4fd-4de0-8542-a62be82a42f5</musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzalbumartistid>7364dea6-ca9a-48e3-be01-b44ad0d19897</musicbrainzalbumartistid>
  <musicbrainzreleasegroupid>86f33365-2974-4cd6-9ec2-d6419dbb108b</musicbrainzreleasegroupid>
  <uniqueid type="musicbrainzalbum">b00a419a-f4fd-4de0-8542-a62be82a42f5</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="musicbrainzreleasegroup">86f33365-2974-4cd6-9ec2-d6419dbb108b</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="musicbrainzalbumartist">7364dea6-ca9a-48e3-be01-b44ad0d19897</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="discogsrelease">7436111</uniqueid>
  <discogsreleaseid>7436111</discogsreleaseid>
  <artist>A HA</artist>
  <albumartist>A HA</albumartist>
</album>

GreatFlashMan

and, i cannot change the tile (artist) anywhere as it does not remember the change.

image.thumb.png.0ea08eca230fa52a7d5fd4f878325881.png

8 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

I did that process, and it came up as "A HA" again. I can do it again.

If I remove the 3 artists, do a full scan, and meta, anything else I need to do to purge them before adding back one by one to see?

was it a scan of all libraries?

GreatFlashMan

What I will do today. 

Remove "A HA". Scan all, refresh all meta. 

Put it back and do it again. 

• Thanks 1

Ronstang

I'm trying to do an experiment for you with a-ha as I have most all their albums and mine all show up correctly in emby but it is on my stable server as I do not have music on my beta server.  I tried to add a music library to my beta server but I cannot since for some reason it does not see any of my network locations or even all the drives connected physically to the machine....I will see if I can sort this out and try again for you.

• Thanks 1