can i watch spectrum live tv within emby?

Bingie
Go to solution Solved by Bingie,

Bingie
2 minutes ago, tmm1 said:

You can check lineup.html?show=all to see which channels are DRM. Those will not be available (in Emby) even after you validate.

Thanks!  That's a great tip.

The channels that we want, like 107 History and 111 SyFy have a line thru them, but no flags.

Hmm, in fact, none of the 1004 channels listed in ALL have the DRM flag.  Some have HD and AVC, but no DRM.  Then again, I have the Motorola card, and you have the Cisco card, so even the channel list might be different, wouldn't surprise me.

Bingie

I just noticed that every once in a while, the red light (2nd light) on the tuning adapter briefly comes on, then goes off.  According to the tuning menu, it's up and operational.  I wonder if it needs to be replaced too?  Wouldn't surprise me, I already had to replace both the cablecard and the hdhomerun box.

20230305_143235.jpg

20230305_143241.jpg

spectrum-04.png

Sammy
18 hours ago, Bingie said:

No validation yet.  Had to replace both the cablecard and the hdhomerun devices just to get ANY channels.  Currently get 247 channels, all crap.  Only thing worth watching is news and weather channels.

spectrum-02.png

You will need to call them with the Tuning Adaptor Serial Number, The CableCARD Serial Number and the CableCARD Host ID generated by the Prime to get them to activate the card.

Sammy

You will only be able to watch channels marked with DRM with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Software. Emby does not and never will support DRM due to licensing costs and programming effort.

Bingie
54 minutes ago, Sammy said:

You will only be able to watch channels marked with DRM with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Software. Emby does not and never will support DRM due to licensing costs and programming effort.

Sadly, even if I could watch DRM channels over our ethernet network, it's clear Spectrum wants to get away from cablecards completely.  It's only a matter of time until they drop support entirely.

I think I need to re-evaluate other live tv solutions, that have a better chance at surviving in the future.  IPTV solutions like Channels TV and TV Everywhere are very interesting, haven't tried them yet, but certainly will.  They will probably outlast cablecards.

Here is an interesting article, just came out today:

https://troypoint.com/iptv/

Vidgo looks interesting, and supports vpn's (my entire home is behind a wirespeed vpn router) and TV Everywhere (integrates into Channels DVR).  I think I'll try that next.

I'm ready to rip out all of this Spectrum gear, including the tv boxes, and just go back to only high speed Internet, where I started.  Our roku's have free live tv already, so we can continue to watch the news, while I hunt for a live tv/dvr solution.

daldana

I don't know if audio is a big thing with you, but just to make you aware of the fact that TV Everywhere is only stereo, no surround sound. I use it and miss the surround sometimes, but not that much.

Bingie
18 minutes ago, daldana said:

I don't know if audio is a big thing with you, but just to make you aware of the fact that TV Everywhere is only stereo, no surround sound. I use it and miss the surround sometimes, but not that much.

Thanks, I didn't know that!

I'm not an audiophile, and we have simple sound bars connected to our tv's, so stereo is fine for now.  Some day I may actually buy a surround sound system, but it's not really a priority.

Bingie

UPDATE:

I installed the "Channels DVR" server and added it to Emby.  Works great!  I like it.

I subscribed to Sling TV, the basic package.  So far, so good.  Easy enough to get working.  Will have to play around with it, try all the features.

Sammy
55 minutes ago, Bingie said:

UPDATE:

I installed the "Channels DVR" server and added it to Emby.  Works great!  I like it.

I subscribed to Sling TV, the basic package.  So far, so good.  Easy enough to get working.  Will have to play around with it, try all the features.

So Sling Basic has no locals,  correct?

Otherwise, Using Channels DVR TVE m3u Tuner in Emby allows you to watch your local Sling lineup anywhere you have an internet connection. Something to consider in June when my discounted promo with Spectrum comes to an end. I'm considering YoutubeTV plus Philo for my LiveTV.

BTW, have you looked at https://www.suppose.tv/tv to determine the best package for your desired lineup?

Edited by Sammy
Spelling

Bingie

Thanks for that link, I ran into it the other day, but forgot to bookmark it.

Actually, I do have 2 local channels, I guess they came from Sling.  I'll probably add some more, really need to look around more.  I just wanted to see if it works, which it does.

Now I'm ready to cancel Spectrum cable, can't record any of it anyways, and tired of all the fees.  I'll keep the high speed Internet.  That's all I really need.

edit: actually, I wanted the Hulu + live, but they refuse to let me sign up over a vpn, so no thanks.  I think it's dumb these media streamers block where someone can watch from.  It's so arbitrary.  I tried the sling app on roku, and it refuses to work behind a vpn lol.  What dorks.

Edited by Bingie

Bingie

Well that felt good!

Returned all Spectrum tv equipment today, but kept the Internet.  Got a new deal too, 500mb internet + streaming tv over internet for $49.99/month.  Was paying over $200.

Really liking Channels DVR so far.  Testing a client minipc running LibreElec/kodi w/ emby addon, channels dvr addon (iptv) and the Embuary skin which makes the kodi look like the emby app.  I really like it, so much better than the roku, which doesn't support time shift (video pauses whenever you ff/rw on roku).

Sammy

$50/month for 500mb internet and Streaming TV?

Are you getting decent guide data for Channels DVR m3u in Emby?

Bingie
1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Are you getting decent guide data for Channels DVR m3u in Emby?

Yes and no on guides, but this is still new to me, I've been combing thru menus, doing google searches, reading thru lots of forum posts.

Channels DVR is great, it automatically pulling several weeks of guide data from sling just fine, but for some reason, emby only pulls 2-3 hours of guide data (from the channels server running on same as emby server), then stops.  I have to manually hit the "refresh guide" button every few hours to get emby server to read the next couple hours.  That won't do.  The shortest reset timer you can set is one day, so that's not good.  The emby addon does let me set records, but since the guide runs out so quickly, it's kind of useless.

Right now, to record, I switch to a web browser pointed at the channels dvr server, that's the easiest way.  I need to finish automating this part, I think I'll buy mcebuddy to automate stripping commercials from channels saves, then have it save to my emby storage.

From the kodi client, I haven't found an option to tell it to record yet, but even if I did, it would probably just be local, which isn't what I want.  I'd like the kodi client to tell the channels dvr server to record something... maybe they'll add that feature some day.  Still researching.

For now, I can watch everything (emby movies, tv shows, channels live tv, etc.) from the libreelec/kodi client (emby addon, channels addon, embuary addon- makes kodi look/act just like emby theater).  If I see something I want to record, I switch to the pc browser and set record that way.

More to come.  This is getting more interesting.  Never liked kodi in the past, but never really tried to learn it before now.  Open source.  Heavily customizable.  Also crashes too easy from addons, so trying to keep it as clean as possible.  Already wiped hard config and started over several times.  At least that's easy to do :)

daldana

Bingie,

Regarding your short guide data issue, in your XMLTV guide data source, did you add a duration option? If you want 14 days of guide data (which is what I use), it would look like this; http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=1209600 assuming you are using the default port for Channels.

• Like 1

Bingie
45 minutes ago, daldana said:

Regarding your short guide data issue, in your XMLTV guide data source, did you add a duration option? If you want 14 days of guide data (which is what I use), it would look like this; http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=1209600 assuming you are using the default port for Channels.

OMG thanks!!!! :)