can i watch spectrum live tv within emby?

Bingie
Go to solution Solved by Bingie,

Bingie

The Spectrum tech is here, and as expected, has zero experience with cablecards.  He did test out my coax system, and added terminators to the unused coax ports on the splitter, so signal now the coax signal strength is excellent.

Unfortunately, he keeps talking to regular techs, and not the cablecard dept like I mentioned.  Until he talks to the right person, they will get nowhere.

They are giving up.  The guy on the other end of the line says it's active, and it's not their problem.

Bingie

They are now blaming it on the hdhomerun box, they aren't familiar with those.  They insist the cablecard is active, but hdhomerun says it's not yet validated.

Oh well, I guess no streaming live tv from spectrum in my home, I'll have to use some other service, that may or may not integrate into emby.

Ready to yank all of this stuff out, and send it all back :(

Sammy

They need to put the following information in the correct places on their end:

CableCARD ID (0n the CableCARD)

CableCARD Host ID (Generated by the Prime)

Tuning Resolver Serial Number

Sometimes it takes a power cycle and then several hours before it becomes active. Restart the Prime and the Tuning Resolver and wait a few hours then check back.

Bingie

Thanks, we've done all of the above, even reset.

Tech is still here, brought a new card, data id changed, they added new card to account.  Still trying, we'll see.  Talking to new phone tech now, sounds very knowledgeable.

• Like 1

Sammy

After it connects your log should look like this:

System Log
19700101-00:00:00 System: reset reason = power on
19700101-00:00:00 CableCARD: USB device 05A6:0008 connected
19700101-00:00:00 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver connected
19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: M-CARD inserted
19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: invalid session 0xDEAD (cchost_session:261)
19700101-00:00:03 System: network link 1000f
19700101-00:00:04 System: ip address obtained: 10.0.0.202/24
19700101-00:00:07 CableCARD: Technicolor/Cisco card (0103:0001)
19700101-00:00:11 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication in progress
19700101-00:00:11 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication success, validation success
19700101-00:00:40 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver disconnected
19700101-00:00:40 CableCARD: USB device 05A6:0008 connected
19700101-00:00:40 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver connected
19700101-00:00:43 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver downstream status: in progress
19700101-00:00:43 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver upstream status: none
19700101-00:00:43 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver authentication status: in progress
19700101-00:00:43 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver operational status: initializing
19700101-00:00:44 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver upstream status: in progress
19700101-00:00:44 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver authentication status: success
19700101-00:00:53 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver downstream status: success
19700101-00:02:03 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver upstream status: success
20230302-18:13:02 CableCARD: time changed from Thu Jan 01 00:04:06 1970 to Thu Mar 02 18:13:02 2023
20230302-18:17:15 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver operational status: ready

I rebooted mine to create a start up log for you.

What does yours say?

Bingie

Thanks, it's the authenticated, never validates, says validation needed.

Okay, they want me to contact the hdhomerun people now.  Tech left.

spectrum-01.png

Sammy

Open a ticket with SiliconDust on their forum. Turn on Diagnostics in the webGUI for the Prime.

Bingie

I did open a ticket with hdhomerun, and they just responded, they said their logs indicate there is a hardware problem with the hdhomerun prime that they sent me.

So now I'm pissed, I purchased this "new" from Amazon, which gets from SiliconDust directly.  They sent me a used defective one in a plain white box (I wondered about that when I received it, now I know).

The cablecard was defective, and had to be replaced (Spectrum can now remotely see the card).  Now this hdhomerun is also defective, and has to be replaced.  My luck usually isn't this bad.  I'm still waiting to hear from silicondust, will they replace this? or do I just return to amazon and take my chances ordering another "new" one from them.  So disappointed in both amazon and silicondust, for sending me a used defective unit as new.  How dare they.  I'm not surprised though, not at all.

edit: and yes, I did download the hdhomerun software and use it.  It's basically the same as the online browser interface, but a little more useful.

Edited by Bingie

Bingie

SUCCESS!

I bought another hdhomerun, and this time, it's working.

So, the hdhomerun box was bad, and the cablecard was bad.  Replaced both, works fine now.  Watching tv with the windows client.  Tomorrow I'll start on the emby server addon.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

• Thanks 1

Sammy

Great news! Glad you were persistent as I thought you might give up..

By Windows client do you mean the HDHomeRun App?

How many DRM channels do you have? They won't show in Emby. Fortunately I don't have many in my lineup.

It's relatively painless to set it up in Emby. Emby will automatically find the tuner and all you do is select your guide data and download the epg.

I'd suggest favoriting your channels in the HDHomeRun Web GUI first then telling Emby to on show favorite channels. I block out SD channels and some others I don't watch this way.

Bingie

I don't know how many channels, over 100, but it's missing the espn/nfl channels 300 and 310, which means no football.  That's a problem.

I looked at the GUI app, it's not intuitive at all.  The web browser app seems much more intuitive.

Hmm, I'm looking thru the channel list, setting favorites.  None of the good channels are available?  What's the point?

Sammy

if channels in your lineup are not showing then you need to call spectrum again and have them send some more hits to make sure  the Prime knows all of the channels you’re supposed to have

Bingie

So I'm supposed to get the same channels on hdhomerun prime as I do the cable box?  All of them?

We don't subscribe to any movie channels anymore, they are crap, but we do watch things like espn, syfy and history channel.  So far, only the news channels and weather channel are available.

I'll run the channel scan again, then call.  Get some coffee in me first :P

BillOatman
3 hours ago, Bingie said:

So I'm supposed to get the same channels on hdhomerun prime as I do the cable box?  All of them?

We don't subscribe to any movie channels anymore, they are crap, but we do watch things like espn, syfy and history channel.  So far, only the news channels and weather channel are available.

I'll run the channel scan again, then call.  Get some coffee in me first :P

What I was told by spectrum was only the basic channels with cable card.  You would not get anything considered a "tier", even if you paid for the tier.  So in my case that was no history or ESPN-like channels.  Your local Spectrum may vary, but what you are seeing is what they told me I would get.

Edited by BillOatman

Bingie
52 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

What I was told by spectrum was only the basic channels with cable card.  You would not get anything considered a "tier", even if you paid for the tier.  So in my case that was no history or ESPN-like channels.  Your local Spectrum may vary, but what you are seeing is what they told me I would get.

I read you can also get the copy protected channels, if they also "validate" the card, as well as authenticate.  I'm waiting until Monday, then will call their cablecard experts (again), and see if I can get that feature turned on.

Here's the link that talks about the validate option:

https://www.silicondust.com/support/troubleshooting/#some-but-not-all-expected-channels-are-found-in-a-scan

If Spectrum doesn't support this, and all I can get are the worthless crap channels, then I'll probably yank out everything, and cancel all but Spectrum Internet, and switch to something else entirely.  There are services like PlayOn that can record pretty much anything from streaming services, so it's possible to get channels like History channel somewhere else.

BillOatman
27 minutes ago, Bingie said:

I read you can also get the copy protected channels, if they also "validate" the card, as well as authenticate.  I'm waiting until Monday, then will call their cablecard experts (again), and see if I can get that feature turned on.

Here's the link that talks about the validate option:

https://www.silicondust.com/support/troubleshooting/#some-but-not-all-expected-channels-are-found-in-a-scan

If Spectrum doesn't support this, and all I can get are the worthless crap channels, then I'll probably yank out everything, and cancel all but Spectrum Internet, and switch to something else entirely.  There are services like PlayOn that can record pretty much anything from streaming services, so it's possible to get channels like History channel somewhere else.

Good luck, I'll be curious to hear how you end up! :)

Bingie
9 minutes ago, tmm1 said:

Check the HDHomeRun configuration page to see if any channels are listed as "DRM"

I won't be able to get any copy-protected/DRM stuff, until they validate the card.  Not sure if they even do anymore (they used to from what I've read), more than one tech has told me they don't want to support them anymore.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just shut them all off tomorrow without warning.  After all, the cablecard is in direct conflict with one of their Internet streaming services, which charges per device streamed to (searching for the web page again, can't find it, spectrum is intentionally vague as to specifics on their web pages and even logged in support pages).

I'm running out of hope, but I'll keep digging to the end.  Either they do or they don't.  You won't find it in print anywhere.  It's sad service in the USA has de-evolved from "the customer is always right" to screw the customer, bleed them dry.

What does it say on the HDHR configuration page under CableCARD?

CableCARD Status
Card Manufacturer Technicolor/Cisco
Card Authentication success
Card Validation success

Edited by tmm1

Bingie

No validation yet.  Had to replace both the cablecard and the hdhomerun devices just to get ANY channels.  Currently get 247 channels, all crap.  Only thing worth watching is news and weather channels.

spectrum-02.png

You can check lineup.html?show=all to see which channels are DRM. Those will not be available (in Emby) even after you validate.