can i watch spectrum live tv within emby?

Bingie
Go to solution Solved by Bingie,

• Solution

===========

EDIT:

NO, don't bother trying to stream spectrum live tv over emby.

I wasted weeks trying to get this working.  Nobody at Spectrum knows anything about the cablecard, and they all want to get rid of it.  I finally found one tech that seen 4 cards within the past year.  He had trouble getting it to work too, but it will only show a few usable channels like news and weather, and all of the other "protected" channels, including all tier 1 stuff like History Channel will never stream, so you can stream a hundred channels of garbage+commercials, is the best you can hope for, but even then only temporarily, because Spectrum wants to get rid of the cablecards, now that the FCC no longer requires them to offer that service.

Do yourself a favor, cancel all Spectrum tv options, just keep the Spectrum Internet, then stream tv over the Internet.  I added the "Channels DVR" server to my Emby server.  I also setup a client minipc running libreelec/kodi with the emby addon, the channels dvr addon, and the embuary skin (makes the kodi look just like emby theater).

===========

Hi all,

I've been googling/searching and reading threads, but it's unclear what my options are, or which way to go, so I thought I'd just ask here.

Our tv's currently have a spectrum cable box for live tv, and a roku for emby.  We use the tv remote to switch between hdmi ports.  I'd like to just watch live tv via emby if possible.  I'm planning to ditch the roku, and just use a mini pc either running emby theater or kodi w/ emby.  Currently checking out kodi, it's interesting, but training the family on a new interface will just create more tension, so just using emby theater is preferred right now.

We're currently running an emby server to watch all of our movies and tv shows, works great, love it.  No addons, kept it clean and simple so far.

Is there a way for us to watch spectrum live tv within emby?  Which addon? (there are so many)

As for features, just watching will be good enough for now, as long as it has a guide.  We have the option to record shows with our cable box, but never use it, so don't really need to record/rip/save to emby, but that would be nice too, I'll add that if it's available.

Thanks

Edited by Bingie

Still searching, such a [redacted] hassle to get a simple answer.

I found this card, what is that, a pcmcia card?  So I need what, a dedicated pc with a pcmcia slot?  No information available, I guess I'll have to call Spectrum, and hope the tech knows specifics, I can see wasting hours trying to get an answer this way.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/about-cablecards

I found this device, no pcmcia slot in it from what I can tell, not quite sure how this fits in the equation.  No information available on what to actually do with it.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/

They all want to sell me something, but don't explain a damn thing on what to do with it.  What a hassle.

Edited by GrimReaper
Language

I have two of them fully supported but they raised the price from $2 to $6 each per month recently. As our promo pricing ends soon and we're looking at a big bump in mothly costs, we'll probably just go with YouTubeTV and Philo for about $90 a month but not sure if we'll ever be able to go back. Might need to make some calculated decisions as now it's tangled in with our $30/month Cell Service tied to being a Spectrum Internet Customer. I may just drop the CableTV, which is on my wife's account, then move it over to my account again for more promo pricing.

18 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Maybe whoever you got on the phone doesn't know what they're talking about. It is right here on their webpage. Try again.

Exactly as expected.  I knew before I called the person wouldn't know anything.  The person was probably a tech living in [redacted] or [redacted]. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Though personally I did find it funny, some members might still find it offensive, so better we leave it open to interpretation

I made a reservation with my local spectrum store.  Hopefully they will have a card for me, or at least, can order one and mail it.

I still don't know what to do with the card.  Does it go into the hdhomerun device?  Have no clue, and their website doesn't say.  the one picture on their website doesn't show a slot in the device.  Maybe it's on the bottom or something.  This is painful, so hard to find out basic info.

You got it.

I do not recommend self install. It's worth the cost to put spectrum on the hook for the installation which probably requires a a tuning adapter and all the proper set up on their end. Plan on at least 4 hours with the tech if you get one who knows what they are doing.

Thanks, my appointment is in another 1.5 hours, so we'll see if/when I can get my hands on a card.  After I confirm that, I'll order the hdhomerun prime from amazon.

Down the rabbit hole I go...

To each his own but I do a lot of refurb stuff with out issue. Heck, the MoBo in my Ryzen PC is refurb and has been going strong for about 5 years now. Both my Primes are Refurbs and most of my HDD's.

I tried a refurbished multi-gig e pci card recently, and not only didn't it work, it caused my pc to lock up.  Very unhappy they resold something that clearly failed.  I was terrified it fried my motherboard, but so far, no more problems.  I guess I don't have your luck :o

UPDATE:

I just spent an hour at my local Spectrum store.  Their computers suck, the tech tried to order one, it wouldn't let him.  The manager tried for 30 minutes, it wouldn't let him.  He tried to order inventory for his store, wouldn't let him.  He tried to schedule a tech, and have the tech bring a card, wouldn't let him.  He called around to the other local spectrum stores, nobody had one.

The manager called his boss, and his boss couldn't get a card either.  I gave him all of my info, and he's going to reach out to corporate Spectrum, to find out how to get a CableCARD.  I'll call him in a few days, to see if he has any luck.

Par for the course and now that they're not required to provide CableCARD's I suppose they make it as difficult as possible.

Woo hoo!  Just got an email, my card arrives tomorrow LOL!  Just ordered the hdhomerun prime from amazon, gets here sunday.

I'll have to thank that manager, he got me a card :)

• Like 1

Thank you for that link, reading now.

Yes, they are also sending a tuning adapter, so I guess I'll be trying to configure it myself first.  If all else fails, I can always schedule a tech, but I wonder if they even have any techs with cablecard experience anymore.  Spectrum is one of those very high turnover employee companies.

I have set up CableCARD tuners at five separate locations over the last 10+ years as I have moved around and have learned that having them do it is the best way because when, not if, something goes wrong, they send out another tech until it is right on their dime.

Figures, I just checked, good 'ole FedEx says they made a delivery attempt, which is a lie, I've been here all day, it's raining.  Maybe they forgot to knock.  So, maybe tomorrow.  I doubt it.  Probably have to wait until Monday, and tape a note on the door "hey fedex dude please knock or just leave the package"