can i watch spectrum live tv within emby?

Bingie
Go to solution Solved by Bingie,

Same here, I'm in Los Angeles.  The package came this morning, so now I'm waiting for the hdhomerun box I ordered from amazon, should be here today/tonight, usually late.  I'll probably wait until monday morning, so the spectrum techs will be at work (I doubt if the best techs work on sundays).

• Like 1

Not if I have to pay extra for it.  The whole point of cord cutting is to stop getting nickle and dime'd to death.  HDHomeRun wants a monthly fee for their dvr service too, which I refuse to do.

Okay this morning I'm working on the Spectrum cablecard setup.  I just finished replacing all coax cables with new ones, and even installed an active signal booster/amplifier, which is working nicely.  I want to rule out any coax issues, because that is always the first thing the cable company blames it on, when you call for support.

Installed one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYM4KBL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

61AXrh9XR0L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

The cabling issues excuse is one of the reasons I have them do the install because then they can only blame themselves! 🤪

47 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Just got back from morning exercises, you read my mind, I was going to ask you whether or not you connected your hdhomerun directly to the tuning adapter, or connected both directly to the coax system.  Spectrum didn't bother to send me any documentation, gee, what a surprise there LOL.

I've been googling, and there are two schools of thought out there.  I was going to try connecting the hdhomerun directly to the tuning adapter AFTER getting the tuning adapter activated (light stops flashing stays green).  Then after that is done, then connect and power up the hdhomerun device with the card installed, then call and activate the card.

I haven't done anything yet, been taking my time reading.  Took this opportunity to clean and move things around.  Two new devices to connect, where to put... more coax and ethernet cables in the way.  When all is finally done, want them out of my way.

Here is a thread with a Spectrum tech actually replying, said it doesn't matter, as long as both devices are connected to the coax system, and the usb cable connects them together.

Since I have an active splitter/booster/amplifier, I think I will connect each device with it's own direct coax cable.  That way, I don't have to worry about the tuning adapter forwarding signal to/from the hdhomerun box, which may or may not cause signal loss.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bingie said:

Here is a thread with a Spectrum tech actually replying, said it doesn't matter, as long as both devices are connected to the coax system, and the usb cable connects them together.

Since I have an active splitter/booster/amplifier, I think I will connect each device with it's own direct coax cable.  That way, I don't have to worry about the tuning adapter forwarding signal to/from the hdhomerun box, which may or may not cause signal loss.

That's how to do it.

Okay, just spent an hour on the phone with the cablecard tech at spectrum.  He plugged all the info into the system, and said it should be working.  Maybe it will start eventually.  He was cool and very helpful, but it's not working.  He said this is the 4th one he's done in the past year.

He scheduled a tech to come out in 3 days, bringing all new gear too, so hopefully I'll be up in 3 days.

To be continued...................

Sammy

Well at least you should get the installation appointment for free since Spectrum failed to get you activated using the CableCARD and Tuning Resolver they gave you for the self-install.

Bingie
4 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Well at least you should get the installation appointment for free since Spectrum failed to get you activated using the CableCARD and Tuning Resolver they gave you for the self-install.

Yes, it was their idea, not mine.  I was prepared to work all day on it with the tech, but he was done, he wanted to send one of their tech's out.

BillOatman
1 hour ago, Bingie said:

Yes, it was their idea, not mine.  I was prepared to work all day on it with the tech, but he was done, he wanted to send one of their tech's out.

Hope you have better luck than I did.  My local spectrum said I would not get anything more using the cable card than I would OTA.

Sammy
35 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Hope you have better luck than I did.  My local spectrum said I would not get anything more using the cable card than I would OTA.

With my promo expiring in June, the incessant increases in monthly Broadcast Surcharges to now be $22 a month and the increase from $2 to $6 for each of two CableCARDs, I'll probably switch to Sling for Live Cable TV content and go OTA for the rest or maybe go with YTTV and Philo. If I go OTA I'll probably need to replace my Quatros to ATSC 3.0 tuners then the locals will start to want me to pay them directly for OTA content activation.

They wonder why piracy abounds..

Bingie

or just buy a new tv, they all seem to come with free live OTA streamed now, at least our TCL smart tv does

I may toss spectrum tv too, just keep their internet, it's been reliable

I went thru all of the streaming services a couple years ago, and hated all of them.  Each one is different, and they are all dumb in some way.

Still prefer integration into Emby, and just use that.  Trying to keep things as simple as possible.

Bingie

I have a TCL Smart TV, has roku built-in.  bought it in 2021.

It's a roku app "Live TV", so streaming from somewhere, some local channels, some national channels.  Hundreds of channels, all free, didn't have to configure anything, they all just work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GB61TQR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never used an android tv, does it support roku apps?  Probably not.

roaku
3 minutes ago, Bingie said:

I have a TCL Smart TV, has roku built-in.  bought it in 2021.

It's a roku app "Live TV", so streaming from somewhere, some local channels, some national channels.  Hundreds of channels, all free, didn't have to configure anything, they all just work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GB61TQR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never used an android tv, does it support roku apps?  Probably not.

These are what's known as FAST channels. FAST meaning Free Ad Supported Television. So, more ads.

Content owners license out the content in exchange for cash. Entities like Roku pay for and/or create the content so they can show ads against it. Companies buy the ads because the content attracts audience attention. The circle of life continues.

Edited by roaku

Bingie
2 minutes ago, roaku said:

These are what's known as FAST channels. FAST meaning Free Ad Supported Television. So, more ads.

No, it's the same commercials I get when watching on Spectrum cable box.

roaku
Just now, Bingie said:

No, it's the same commercials I get when watching on Spectrum cable box.

I'm not sure what you're saying no to.

Content owners license out the content in exchange for cash. Entities like Roku pay for and/or create the content so they can show ads against it. Companies buy the ads because the content attracts audience attention. The circle of life continues.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/roku-inks-fast-channel-deal-with-warner-bros-discovery

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/roku-channel-jellysmack-free-streaming-fast-channels-1235534791/