embyforkodi (next-gen) 8.X.X support

quickmic

adam.niescierowicz

Any one having problems with kodi 21?

Logs from CoreElec New Era Aarch64 

2023-11-10 10:15:11.330 T:1320    error <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError'>
                                                   Error Contents: not well-formed (invalid token): line 46, column 0
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/service.py", line 6, in <module>
                                                       hooks.monitor.StartUp()
                                                     File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/hooks/monitor.py", line 781, in StartUp
                                                       Ret = setup()
                                                             ^^^^^^^
                                                     File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/hooks/monitor.py", line 745, in setup
                                                       xmls.sources()
                                                     File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/helper/xmls.py", line 18, in sources
                                                       xmlData = xml.etree.ElementTree.fromstring(xmlData)
                                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3.11/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1338, in XML
                                                   xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 46, column 0
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

2023-11-10 10:15:11.331 T:1320     info <general>: CPythonInvoker(1, /storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/service.py): waiting on thread 546081205952

quickmic
19 minutes ago, adam.niescierowicz said:

Any one having problems with kodi 21?

Logs from CoreElec New Era Aarch64 

Your "sources.xml" seems to be corrupted. Just delete the file, and restart Kodi.

quickmic
6 hours ago, ntilagoa said:

Hi @quickmic

Have you seen this?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=337992

Do you think that this will impact emby for kodi in any way?

Thank you 

Probably yes, but if this https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14972 ever gonna make it to a Kodi release (PR is from 2018?), it would mean I could remove the multiversion workaround and use the native Kodi implementation. Would be a good thing, but let's wait.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 2

adam.niescierowicz
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

Your "sources.xml" seems to be corrupted. Just delete the file, and restart Kodi.

This helped, everything works fine.

`sources.xml` is created by emby or kodi, I'm asking because this is fresh kodi with fresh emby so why this file is corrupted?

Below deleted sources.xml it's not looking bad, validate test passed ok.

<sources>
   <programs>
       <default pathversion="1"></default>
   </programs>
   <video>
       <source>
           <name>Videos</name>
           <path pathversion="1">/storage/videos/</path>
           <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
       </source>
       <source>
           <name>TV Shows</name>
           <path pathversion="1">/storage/tvshows/</path>
       </source>
   </video>
   <music>
       <source>
           <name>Music</name>
           <path pathversion="1">/storage/music/</path>
       </source>
   </music>
   <pictures>
       <source>
           <name>Pictures</name>
           <path pathversion="1">/storage/pictures/</path>
       </source>
   </pictures>
   <files>
       <source>
           <name>emby</name>
           <path pathversion="1">http://kodi.emby.media/</path>
       </source>
   </files>
   <games>
   </games>
</sources>

FrostByte

If you go back a couple pages you will see a couple others had the same issue with a clean install and Omega beta.  However, those who had Nexus and the plugin already running before, then upgraded to Omega everything worked fine.  Something different about that file on a clean install.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

HansWurst

Hi,

reporting back with issues on Home Video Collection on latest version.

Collections are shown correctly so far, but when I go into the collection I can't start the videos.

If I scroll down from the shown collections (arrow down on remote), then Kodi is able to play the home movie.

quickmic
15 hours ago, HansWurst said:

Hi,

reporting back with issues on Home Video Collection on latest version.

Collections are shown correctly so far, but when I go into the collection I can't start the videos.

If I scroll down from the shown collections (arrow down on remote), then Kodi is able to play the home movie.

Please post a screenshot. I tested homevideo collections via dynamic nodes, and worked on my setup but not sure how you triggered the playback.

Edited by quickmic

HansWurst

OK, I will try. What do you mean exactly by how I am triggering it?

I open the collection, go into the collection where the movies are shown and after that I click on the movie. Do you mean a sceenshot of that?

quickmic
5 hours ago, HansWurst said:

OK, I will try. What do you mean exactly by how I am triggering it?

I open the collection, go into the collection where the movies are shown and after that I click on the movie. Do you mean a sceenshot of that?

Well yes, but that's exactly what I did and worked fine. Probably send me a kodi.log too.

FrostByte

Adding new movies/episodes to Kodi via E4K seems to be causing Kodi to crash to Android Home the first time after clicking Play.

Kodi crashes with NFS error first time after E4K adds new media and clicking Play.  Same media plays fine after restarting Kodi.  This has been a fairly new thing and I believe it started after switching to Omega when beta 1 came out (though not 100% sure on that's when it started).

Error: CNFSFile::Open: Unable to open file - trying again with a new context: error: 'open call failed with "NFS4: (path /volume1/MyEmbyMedia/Movies/Oppenheimer (2023)) failed with NFS4ERR_DELAY(-5)"'

Setup:
Current nightly Omega: kodi-20231120-788eae26-master-arm64-v8a.apk (though it's been happening for a while now)
Nvidia Shield 2019
NAS is a Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.
Emby4Kodi plugin 8.2.15.

Emby server currently 4.8.0.60 (though it's been happening for a while now)
Connection is wired using NFSv4.  NAS, Shield, soundbar, and TV all plugged into the same Netgear switch.  Chain for media is as follows:  NAS -> switch -> Shield -> Soundbar -> TV

Error Log with crash.  I tried playing Oppenheimer and new media was added before
https://paste.kodi.tv/cedizefuna.kodi

Log from immediate restart where movie plays fine:
https://paste.kodi.tv/otafimewez.kodi

Steps:

• Start Kodi
  • E4K plugin flashes info while adding new media
  • Scroll up to movie widget
  • Click Play button on remote
  • Kodi crashes to Shield Home

Other:

• Kodi then works fine until new media is added via plugin again
  • Problem doesn't occur when adding media via Kodi
  • I've been able reproduce this 100% of the time with both movies and episodes which cases a crash, then Kodi works just fine until the next time I add new media via the plugin and try to play

quickmic

Kodi beta 21 is also not very stable on my setup. e.g. On my setup: After init sync (and only after init sync) Kodi crashes. Once synced, everything seems to be fine.

This sounds a bit like your reported issue. I'm still reviewing the problem, probably a Kodi issue.

I didn't tested in native mode yet.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

FrostByte
12 hours ago, quickmic said:

Kodi beta 21 is also not very stable on my setup. e.g. On my setup: After init sync (and only after init sync) Kodi crashes. Once synced, everything seems to be fine.

This sounds a bit like your reported issue. I'm still reviewing the problem, probably a Kodi issue.

I didn't tested in native mode yet.

I also had it crash after resyncing boxsets after new boxsets were created in Emby and is probably related.  I brushed it aside though because I knew you were working on redoing boxsets anyway. 

I went ahead and asked on Kodi forum and a developer suggested removing Emby plugin and using Kodi's scraper.  Searching their forum I couldn't find any other posts on the subject, but maybe I missed it.

I'll wait and see what you say in case you need me to test something.  Now that I know what is causing the issue, I'm happy to just restart Kodi after syncing new media.

quickmic
46 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I also had it crash after resyncing boxsets after new boxsets were created in Emby and is probably related.  I brushed it aside though because I knew you were working on redoing boxsets anyway. 

I went ahead and asked on Kodi forum and a developer suggested removing Emby plugin and using Kodi's scraper.  Searching their forum I couldn't find any other posts on the subject, but maybe I missed it.

I'll wait and see what you say in case you need me to test something.  Now that I know what is causing the issue, I'm happy to just restart Kodi after syncing new media.

Scrapers are "disabled" by default (actually set to "metadata.local") unless you re-enabled them.

I would suggest, perform a test run on a PC with stock Kodi installation and just e4k plugin.

Edited by quickmic

FrostByte
9 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Scrapers are "disabled" by default (actually set to "metadata.local") unless you re-enabled them.

I would suggest, perform a test run on a PC with stock Kodi installation and just e4k plugin.

The only scraper I'm using is the one for music which hasn't been a problem when adding new media.  Never used the python scrapers for movies and episodes and these all come from the plugin and Emby.

I can set something up on Windows though.

• Like 1

quickmic
2 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The only scraper I'm using is the one for music which hasn't been a problem when adding new media.  Never used the python scrapers for movies and episodes and these all come from the plugin and Emby.

I can set something up on Windows though.

Scrapers could be also used by Skin or skin helpers, that's why a stock Kodi installation rules that out.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Good to know.  Already loaded the latest Windows version of Omega.  Will just load that and then the latest E4K and just add TV shows and see what happens.

FrostByte

Well...

Installed Omega on Windows and then the plugin (that's all) and of course it crashed instantly after installing the plugin.  So deleted sources and restarted Kodi and configured e4k.

Added TV shows and played an episode with no problem.

Added Movies and played a movie with no problem.

Setup is Win11, Omega nightly, E4K 8.2.15 using direct access and NFS.  Connection is wireless.

https://paste.kodi.tv/ebotufopec.kodi

quickmic

Well, 3 possibilities.

Kodi Shield/apk has an issue, your plugins used on your box has issues or the nightly version addressed the problem.

I would rule out an e4k plugin issue assuming you use the same plugin config settings.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

FrostByte
14 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Well, 3 possibilities.

Kodi Shield/apk has an issue, your plugins used on your box has issues or the nightly version addressed the problem.

I would rule out an e4k plugin issue assuming you use the same plugin config settings.

I loaded the same nightly on my Shield this morning and had the issue again so nightly didn't fix (at least not on Android).

Thanks, I'll uninstall a few things (skin, TMDHelper beta maybe) at first and then if that don't work I may end up wiping the whole thing and installing one thing at a time to try and pin point the issue.

Since this only happens after I sync new data from Emby using e4k I'm hoping it's just the skin or the TMDHelper betas though.  

quickmic

Update:

8.2.14 is now the new stable version, 8.2.15 the new beta.

9.0.0 is close to be published as public testing version. Shaking out the last bugs...

• Like 2

LittleWizard

I'm still investigating on my hang on stop till curl timeout on my shieldTVpro by now I can tell that every 8.x version till 8.1.3 seems to work. Now I jumped from 8.1.3 to 8.1.5 and had my first hang on stop. I'll revert back to 8.1.3 and if is still ok, will try 8.1.4 to see when the bug was introduced...

I'm also giving up in using mostly emby app since video quality is identical to kodi and less issues, less configuration and give me access to recording timers.

Still I think Kodi has a better interface, better way of seeking and is faster in browsing. So making the embyforkodi plugin issue free would be great! Its very strange that this bug is only with me. Maybe something between nas, router and kodi... But the embyforkodi addon as also a role since older versions did not have thet problem...

Edited by LittleWizard
  • Like 1

quickmic
5 minutes ago, LittleWizard said:

I'm still investigating on my hang on stop till curl timeout on my shieldTVpro by now I can tell that every 8.x version till 8.1.3 seems to work. Now I jumped from 8.1.3 to 8.1.5 and had my first hang on stop. I'll revert back to 8.1.3 and if is still ok, will try 8.1.4 to see when the bug was introduced...

I'm also giving up in using mostly emby app since video quality is identical to kodi and less issues, less configuration and give me access to recording timers.

Still I think Kodi has a better interface, better way of seeking and is faster in browsing. So making the embyforkodi plugin issue free would be great! Its very strange that this bug is only with me. Maybe something between nas, router and kodi... But the embyforkodi addon as also a role since older versions did not have thet problem...

Yes, please test with 8.1.4. I review the changes I did by these version.

quickmic
17 minutes ago, LittleWizard said:

I'll revert back to 8.1.3 and if is still ok, will try 8.1.4 to see when the bug was introduced...

8.1.3 vs 8.1.4 -> there is only one modification in the player code which could probably could cause the issue.