embyforkodi (next-gen) 8.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic
On 8/18/2023 at 10:25 AM, LittleWizard said:

Sometimes my Kodi on Nvidia Shield (android) hangs on stop or at the end of the file.

Yesterday I found that waiting a lot, Kodi does finally return to main interface.

I attach the log.

Seems like a timeout in accessing the file (dragonball) and after about 4 minutes it timed out and Kodi run again.

I could think about a problem with the NAS, but kodi from a rasberry (libreelec) and embyforkody doesn't seem to have this problem on the same network (both wired lan).

kodi.log 94.52 kB · 1 download

Finally I found a way to trigger this issue on demand and I was able to debug it:

2023-08-16 22:18:23.552 T:10914   error <general>: CCurlFile::Stat - <http://127.0.0.1:57342/tvshows/66a438e62d904399a48d79b97e67648c/35204/35275/746373/e-746373-c07dad36b2d00399d67dac22b96e6b08-2847-3925-0-1-0-107-0-1-h264-2746108-ac3-192000--Dragon_Ball___06x20_Il_monte_dei_cinque_elementi__1080p.h264.ita.jap_.mkv> Failed: Timeout was reached(28)

Kodi tries to query file information for a http source (obviously a bug). I cannot prevent Kodi doing that.

However, I found a way to set the timeouts to one second without breaking the video multiselection.

Currently I'm checking side effects if timeout is set to one second. If my tests are successful, I'll add the workaround in 9.X version.

• Like 2

I use Emby Next Gen version 18.2.13 on Kodi 20.02.

My music library is stored as a dynamic list as a folder view in Kodi.
When I select a music folder, I can no longer specify that I want to play from this folder.
I can only play it if I select a file. How can I play all the songs directly from a folder?

With the add-on in version 17 this was actually still possible. Many thanks for your help!

quickmic
8 hours ago, TeamB said:

is a head request, does your internal http server have that method implemented

Even if the stat request is send on purpose for http, this request never reached the internal proxy, that's why it timeouts. All requests are processed in some way, at least I would see them incoming (raw data).

Also the internal proxy is absolutely responsive/reachable at all times due to threading and queuing. The only way the internal proxy would be unresponsive, if Kodi stalls all threads at some point. Unfortunately multiprocessing is completely unstable, that's why I cannot use it even I would love to.

The only way to trigger the issue on demand is by sending a PlayerControl command in blocking mode. None blocking doesn't trigger the issue.

xbmc.executebuiltin('PlayerControl(Stop)', True)

btw, maybe "executebuiltin" in blocking really stalls all threads. e4k never uses this commands in blocking mode, (only as a test case), but who knows if a 3rd party plugin does it or Kodi itself.

Final thought, HEAD requests in general makes Kodi's GUI (and only the GUI) unresponsive. But the threads are still alive.

I can process HEAD requests on low level basis, but I can not intercept a HEAD request and open a (Kodi) dialog (for e.g. multiversion selection choices.). This only works on GET requests. GET requests are not blocking Kodi's GUI. imho another design flaw.

By lowering the curl timeouts to 1 seconds, at least the issue stalls Kodi only for one seconds. This had a sideeffect, if I open a dialog and waiting for user input (multiselection). Kodi would timeout too. Therefore I send in 0.5 seconds interval a 307 redirect, to keep Kodi's request "alive". The next issue was, the redirect are limited (and hardcoded) by 10. Kodi would timeout in this scenario after 5 seconds, therefore the max redirects must be changed.

Next problem was, redirects cannot be altered by advancedsettings.xml (next design flaw), however I can use the curl extension parameter "|redirect-limit=1000".

Fortunately, Kodi accepts those parameters in "path" (database) and/or pathsubstitution too.

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>/emby_addon_mode/</from>
            <to>http://127.0.0.1:57342/|redirect-limit=1000</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

Never use those curl extensions as a "filename" extension parameter. This messes the actual fileextension (e.g. ".mkv") and Kodi is confused if it's a movie or audio content by widget playback (and again another design flaw). The whole widget ops code is kind a mess in Kodi.

btw, this is why I never put .strm files directly into the database. I extract the content, and put it nativly into Kodi's db.

Even if a strm file is assigned to episode or movie or whatever in the database, the widgets do not check Kodi's database. They use fileextensions to put content into Kodi's correct (music or video) playlists. A strm file could be both, so keep the filename extension correct at all times.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
14 hours ago, mad-max said:

I use Emby Next Gen version 18.2.13 on Kodi 20.02.

My music library is stored as a dynamic list as a folder view in Kodi.
When I select a music folder, I can no longer specify that I want to play from this folder.
I can only play it if I select a file. How can I play all the songs directly from a folder?

With the add-on in version 17 this was actually still possible. Many thanks for your help!

I'll check it.

TeamB
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

btw, maybe "executebuiltin" in blocking really stalls all threads. e4k never uses this commands in blocking mode, (only as a test case), but who knows if a 3rd party plugin does it or Kodi itself.

I guess that is what is probably doing it then, even if you had not implemented a head responce in your server it should still not block. So it looks like the blocking also blocks all python threads, that is super weird.

I find kodi has so many werid edge cases where stuff just acts weird or breaks. It is the main reason I moved away from the sync approach and just use the Addon approach for EmbyCon.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, quickmic said:

I'll check it.

Thank you!
The same problem exists with mixed content.

IMG_20231126_140101.jpg

IMG_20231126_140119.jpg

Edited by mad-max
  • Like 1

quickmic
11 hours ago, mad-max said:
Thank you!
The same problem exists with mixed content.

IMG_20231126_140101.jpg

IMG_20231126_140119.jpg

Will be addressed in 9.X version.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, quickmic said:

Will be addressed in 9.X version.

OK thank you.

Can you say when version 9 will come?
Is there a workaround for version 8 until then?

quickmic
1 hour ago, mad-max said:
OK thank you.

Can you say when version 9 will come?
Is there a workaround for version 8 until then?

I hope in one or two weeks.

Why not using synced nodes?

46 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I hope in one or two weeks.

Why not using synced nodes?

There is no folder view for synchronized nodes.
correct?

quickmic
11 minutes ago, mad-max said:
There is no folder view for synchronized nodes.
correct?

Yes, correct. Usually Folderviews are only necessary for edge cases and your folder structure doesn't seem odd.

13 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Yes, correct. Usually Folderviews are only necessary for edge cases and your folder structure doesn't seem odd.

OK...

Can I then switch back to emby-next-gen-7.x?
What do you think?

Grumpy1
On 10/14/2023 at 4:04 PM, quickmic said:

Guessing here: What you want has nothing todo with plugin or Kodi limitations. It's just skin configuration. This seems to be a widget setting and/or node settings.

Please open a new thread for skin support.

Correction, seems to be a node. I'll check.

This is doable in kodi now using skinvariables ( at least the skin that i use ). Continuing movies works fine but when selecting next up tv shows or in progress episodes it just brings up the emby library.

i asked in the kodi forum and was told it all looks correct but emby addon could be  the issue

If this is just a one off and not useful for anyone else going forward then please ignore and i will just use emby

i sent a pm as well with part of the log which i think is the issue

thanks

Screenshot 2023-11-28 082805.png

quickmic
7 minutes ago, Grumpy1 said:

This is doable in kodi now using skinvariables ( at least the skin that i use ). Continuing movies works fine but when selecting next up tv shows or in progress episodes it just brings up the emby library.

i asked in the kodi forum and was told it all looks correct but emby addon could be  the issue

If this is just a one off and not useful for anyone else going forward then please ignore and i will just use emby

thanks

What you want is a mixed content node. If you think this is possible with Kodi's nodes function send me an example (node xml file) and I review it. -> I'm still convinced not possible.

As mentioned, I try to write a custom dynamic node for that.

skinvariables -> means not using Kodi's functionalities. Yes you can write/program anything you want.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_nodes

A node has ONE content parameter.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<node order="10" type="filter">
 <label>(Custom) Motor DVDs</label>
 <content>movies</content>
 <match>all</match>
 <icon>DefaultCars.png</icon>
 <limit>20</limit>
 <rule field="path" operator="contains"><value>ExtremeSports/Cars/</value></rule>
</node>

content -> movies.

You cannot combine movies and episodes or whatever. This is a Kodi limitation, ergo only possible by writing program code.

Grumpy1

ok thanks

So this does work ...instead of using in progress Tv Shows you use next episode .

this combines all Continue Watching

just though i would share in case anyone else is interested

Edited by Grumpy1

LittleWizard
On 11/25/2023 at 6:16 PM, quickmic said:

8.1.5 was never released. Please doublecheck

I'm so sorry. It's 8.2.3 and 8.2.5. jumped 8.2.4. I'll try that. On 2.5 hangs are quite rare. I remember that latest versions like 8.2.14 hang most of the time. Really happy you could have found a fix. I ask myself why this bug affects only me... I installed everything from scratch lot of time and the bug is always there. Why nobody has this issue? Libreelec on raspberry is a lot less affected, anyway with very latest versions of addon it started to be affected too. I keep my fingers crossed for 9.x version of addon!

quickmic
4 hours ago, LittleWizard said:

I'm so sorry. It's 8.2.3 and 8.2.5. jumped 8.2.4. I'll try that. On 2.5 hangs are quite rare. I remember that latest versions like 8.2.14 hang most of the time. Really happy you could have found a fix. I ask myself why this bug affects only me... I installed everything from scratch lot of time and the bug is always there. Why nobody has this issue? Libreelec on raspberry is a lot less affected, anyway with very latest versions of addon it started to be affected too. I keep my fingers crossed for 9.x version of addon!

I compared 8.2.3 with 8.2.5. There are only changes for live tv.

You can also lower the network timeouts to 5 seconds in 8.X versions.

Also I sent you a pre test version of 9.x via PM. You can give it a try if you want. Currently network timeouts are hardcoded to 1 second by this version. Maybe too low, will be adjustable in the end like in 8.X.

Edited by quickmic

LittleWizard

I have to say that this problem happened in older versions but very seldom end become more and more frequent as the 8.x.x version go up.

So maybe I could have tested 8.2.3 not enough to say it surely works.

Anyway you tell I can set timeout to 5sec in 8.x.

As far as I have seen, the slider does not go under 30sec and changing the value in advancedsettings seems not to do change.

I'll try 9.x version, thanks!

Let you know.

quickmic
On 11/28/2023 at 2:54 PM, Grumpy1 said:

thanks

Maybe I still don't get it right. What kind of content should the node list.

Please explain detailed what you want. I thought you want one node for in progress content, mixing episodes and movies. The screenshot seems to list nothing in progress, and also includes tvshows.

You are also talk about a next up node? Not sure why you bring it up, this is the same node as on Emby server and shows only episode content.

I need following info. What content should be shown (tvshows, season, episodes, musicvideos, movies) are the options, and based on which filter (in progess), and what sortorder (recently played)?

Grumpy1
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

Maybe I still don't get it right. What kind of content should the node list.

Please explain detailed what you want. I thought you want one node for in progress content, mixing episodes and movies. The screenshot seems to list nothing in progress, and also includes tvshows.

You are also talk about a next up node? Not sure why you bring it up, this is the same node as on Emby server and shows only episode content.

I need following info. What content should be shown (tvshows, season, episodes, musicvideos, movies) are the options, and based on which filter (in progess), and what sortorder (recently played)?

Its all good ...i have given  up on this :)

thanks for trying to figure it out

embyL0VER

@quickmic I think what Grumpy1 want is a combined node or playlist or whatever it is called... :) which combines in progress movies, in progress episodes and also combines with next episode ...

The following screenshot shows the combination of in progress movies and in progress episodes ... but I also don't know how to combine the "next episode" thing into it .... :D

PXL_20231202_101158231_MP.thumb.jpg.17eab6bcea63a688d18473d3a5c87d97.jpg

Edited by embyL0VER
Fixing typos

quickmic
2 hours ago, embyL0VER said:

@quickmic I think what Grumpy1 want is a combined node or playlist or whatever it is called... :) which combines in progress movies, in progress episodes and also combines with next episode ...

The following screenshot shows the combination of in progress movies and in progress episodes ... but I also don't know how to combine the "next episode" thing into it .... :D

PXL_20231202_101158231_MP.thumb.jpg.17eab6bcea63a688d18473d3a5c87d97.jpg

I already added a combined " in progress" node in 9.x.

I could also add the next episodes into it/or add another node, but I'm not guessing what users wants. Unless it's not confirmed, I'll not add another node.

Edited by quickmic

Nächste Episoden als knoten wäre schon gut, aber kann man sich ja auch selbst einrichten oder denke ich gerade falsch. Wobei standardmäßig wäre schon was. 

Grumpy1
4 hours ago, quickmic said:

I already added a combined " in progress" node in 9.x.

I could also add the next episodes into it/or add another node, but I'm not guessing what users wants. Unless it's not confirmed, I'll not add another node.

Ok i am going to try and explain it again , im not sure why its not coming across properly :) .... all i was trying to do is get a continue watching like in emby ( in progress movies- in progress episodes and next up ( continue a tv show ))

image.thumb.png.3e475f65419b69215fed45ce888a3a30.png

so in the above screenshot in emby

300 - continue watching movie

evil - continue watching episode

rick and morty - next episode

i accomplished this in kodi by using the skin variable feature  in the Arctic Fuse skin.

when i added in progress movies , in progress TV shows and in-progress episodes - it worked except in-progress TV Shows would take me to the library instead of playing the next episode.

i changed in-progress tv shows to next episode and then everything worked

this is the screenshot from kodi ---there are no in-progress indicators on the thumbs but it does work properly

Kodi_20231202_131551.thumb.png.2673849c5177bbe50d3d89d00238a71f.png

300 - continue watching movie

evil - continue watching episode

rick and morty - next episode

thanks

looking forward to trying it in 9, would be much easier then using kodi to do it