embyforkodi (next-gen) 8.X.X support

quickmic

joshuap94118
5 hours ago, Seger said:

you can also set the stick to a fixed AP at unifi, then it should not jump.

Thanks. I tried locking it to an AP per Quickmic:

On 8/20/2023 at 9:22 PM, quickmic said:

There is an option called "Lock to access point" in Unifi config.

Unfortunately that didn't actually prevent the device from dropping the connection and then reconnecting, the RSSI was just too low on both APs. $8 and a two foot HDMI extender cable and some velcro tape and the RSSI on both APs went from ~85 to ~65 and the disconnects disappeared.

Best,

j

rotational467

@quickmic

I'm seeing an issue on Kodi with E4K since approx server 4.8.0.40, whenever autoplay next episode is enabled (by any means - Kodi setting, show/season Play All, Play From Here context menu).  It seems to hang just at the end of playback, and eventually times out and advances to the next episode.  If a single episode is played without any kind of auto-play enabled, it always plays to completion and ends on time without issue.  Logs are attached...the two instances that I just saw were at/around the following timestamps in the Emby log:

2023-08-26 13:12:24.499 

2023-08-26 13:59:49.381

Roku users are seeing a similar issue with the playback session not terminating (autoplay next episode failure for Roku is only a symptom).  @LukeI haven't had a chance to test with software encoding for Roku, but in this case with Kodi it was direct play.

kodi.log embyserver.txt

12 minutes ago, rotational467 said:

@quickmic

I'm seeing an issue on Kodi with E4K since approx server 4.8.0.40, whenever autoplay next episode is enabled (by any means - Kodi setting, show/season Play All, Play From Here context menu).  It seems to hang just at the end of playback, and eventually times out and advances to the next episode.  If a single episode is played without any kind of auto-play enabled, it always plays to completion and ends on time without issue.  Logs are attached...the two instances that I just saw were at/around the following timestamps in the Emby log:

Roku users are seeing a similar issue with the playback session not terminating (autoplay next episode failure for Roku is only a symptom).  @LukeI haven't had a chance to test with software encoding for Roku, but in this case with Kodi it was direct play.

kodi.log 4.99 MB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 489.96 kB · 1 download

I would try downloading and installing the latest beta again on top of itself. It should correct the image related errors in your log here.

• Like 1

quickmic
40 minutes ago, rotational467 said:

@quickmic

kodi.log 4.99 MB · 1 download embyserver.txt 489.96 kB · 2 downloads

First, try disable path substitution (if enabled).

SwanStream
On 8/23/2023 at 8:56 PM, quickmic said:

As it works on a PC, Emby server and plugin has no issues.

ergo, could be Network connection (Wlan maybe) or Kodi is buggy on the box. Could you try different Kodi versions? I know there are 64bit 32bit versions of Kodi for apks etc.

Maybe its also skin related, donno, I've had to do a db reset to get a user swap to "take".... not the end of the world now that initial sync takes less than a month... im on 64bit win pc In case it helps, but I'm moving on and calling resolved if not solved. Cheers

• Like 1

monkeylove

It's a similar problem in my case: it takes a minute or so to return from a series folder to the list of shows. I don't remember changing anything, but I tried the suggestions given here (e.g., modifications in the addon settings and removing one server plugin), plus use the latest beta of the addon, and now the latest monthly build of Kodi, and it still persists.

I'll uninstall everything, go back to the stable versions of Kodi and the addon, etc., and see what happens.

quickmic

@rotational467@Luke

What I see in the kodi log:

It seems the connection to emby server timed out, also the websocket connection was offline and reconnected at "2023-08-26 13:13:27"

Is the Kodi box and Emby server time synced?

Kodi box send the session end on 2023-08-26 13:11:27.093 T:3955     info <general>: EMBY.hooks.player: Emby playsession closed

Emby server processed this info at: 2023-08-26 13:13:27.257 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://192.168.2.5:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Stopped. UserAgent: Emby for Kodi Next Gen/8.2.13

Also I see several Server reconnects. Is your network connection stable?

Edited by quickmic

rotational467

Hi @quickmicFYI I double checked and path substitution is not (and AFAIK was never) enabled.

The Emby server, media storage, NTP source, and Kodi box are actually all GbE on the same switch, same subnet, and everything on that subnet uses that NTP source.  No evidence of any kind of network issues outside of what you see in the logs.  I've seen this behavior occur while other simultaneous users on different devices (both remote and local) continued their streams without interruption.  My gut says this is related to the Roku failure to end playback issue that recently re-surfaced...I have always used the auto-play on Kodi more often than not and this is absolutely new behavior in the past few weeks.  I was hoping E4K/Kodi might reveal some evidence that would point towards a root cause.

• Like 1

ntilagoa

Hi

I have 2 movies libraries (movies and movies4k) and 2 tvshows libraries (tvshows and tvshows4k).

After scanning the 2 movies libraries the plugin does a good job and same movies are presented on kodi as just one and when I select that movie it shows the different versions to pick one. However the same thing do not work for tvshows. They are all presented as different tvshows (duplicating the same shows with different versions on kodi library)

Thank you 

PS: using version 8.2.14 of plugin on windows 11 with kodi 20.2

Edited by ntilagoa

quickmic
1 hour ago, ntilagoa said:

Hi

I have 2 movies libraries (movies and movies4k) and 2 tvshows libraries (tvshows and tvshows4k).

After scanning the 2 movies libraries the plugin does a good job and same movies are presented on kodi as just one and when I select that movie it shows the different versions to pick one. However the same thing do not work for tvshows. They are all presented as different tvshows (duplicating the same shows with different versions on kodi library)

Thank you 

PS: using version 8.2.14 of plugin on windows 11 with kodi 20.2

I assume you mean episodes and not tv-shows, right?

Multiversion is supported and working for episodes. Check Emby server, if the content is correctly detected as multiversion there.

• Thanks 1

LittleWizard

Seems very similar to my problem. In my case hangs till curl timeout when the file teach the end 9 times on 10. It does not happen if I press stop during playback, only hangs when file is reaching the end (maybe when everything is buffered?).

I don't have autoplay next enabled. Tried disabling any addon like upnext, tvheadend and others, but no improvements.

LittleWizard

Sometime embyforkody updates, but watching status are not synced.

I have to force a sync for example selecting update box set.

It seems that it thinks of being already synced while it isn't. I must say that it is currently in stressing conditions, I sometimes run kodi with no network (for local content), sometimes there is network only for few minutes), sometimes there was blackouts etc.

On emby app I see everything correct, but on addon I had to do that trick of update box set to see latest watching status updated because the sync at the kodi startup leave everything unchanged and not really updated.

quickmic
3 hours ago, LittleWizard said:

Seems very similar to my problem. In my case hangs till curl timeout when the file teach the end 9 times on 10. It does not happen if I press stop during playback, only hangs when file is reaching the end (maybe when everything is buffered?).

I don't have autoplay next enabled. Tried disabling any addon like upnext, tvheadend and others, but no improvements.

I can trigger the issue when seeking/jump forward in Kodi like crazy.

Click 20,30,40,50 times the jump forward button, at some point Emby server is overloaded and stalled. I reported this issue to Luke.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
3 hours ago, LittleWizard said:

Sometime embyforkody updates, but watching status are not synced.

I'll improve the init sync in next version, maybe it helps.

SwanStream
10 hours ago, LittleWizard said:

Sometime embyforkody updates, but watching status are not synced

I've seen this behavior with a nvidia shield tv pro. The problem seems to be with the shield doin' a 'go slow thing. Not really noticeable when playing something, but its always been unreliable as far as watched status (and emby getting 'now watching/stopped' updates too) I believe its a hardware limitation as same configuration on a low-mid power miniPC no issues.

LittleWizard
On 8/30/2023 at 1:35 AM, SwanStream said:

I've seen this behavior with a nvidia shield tv pro. The problem seems to be with the shield doin' a 'go slow thing. Not really noticeable when playing something, but its always been unreliable as far as watched status (and emby getting 'now watching/stopped' updates too) I believe its a hardware limitation as same configuration on a low-mid power miniPC no issues.

Don't think so because I also had some problems with libreelec on raspberry, but in this case the problem was slightly different. In fact on raspberry I only had to disable and enable again the addon to forse a sinc. On nividia this was not the solution and I had to make an update of box collections. Anyway till now these problem are not a major issue since they happen seldom.

rotational467
On 27/08/2023 at 16:31, rotational467 said:

Hi @quickmicFYI I double checked and path substitution is not (and AFAIK was never) enabled.

The Emby server, media storage, NTP source, and Kodi box are actually all GbE on the same switch, same subnet, and everything on that subnet uses that NTP source.  No evidence of any kind of network issues outside of what you see in the logs.  I've seen this behavior occur while other simultaneous users on different devices (both remote and local) continued their streams without interruption.  My gut says this is related to the Roku failure to end playback issue that recently re-surfaced...I have always used the auto-play on Kodi more often than not and this is absolutely new behavior in the past few weeks.  I was hoping E4K/Kodi might reveal some evidence that would point towards a root cause.

Well I have no idea if there were any fixes, and I was sloppy and did more than one upgrade at once, but with E4K 8.2.14 + Emby 4.8.0.44 autoplay is working normally on my CoreELEC machine again.

• Like 1

Nick0007

Hello! In Coreelec 20.02, after rebooting the set-top box, the Emby next gen addon is loaded first, and the Emby server service for Coreelec does not have time to load. As a result, the media library breaks and you have to configure everything in Kodi again. What to do? And this nasty Iptv Simple Client strives to start first and breaks together ....

Nick0007

I think that in the addon you need to set up a load time delay, something like Chron.

Can this be added to the addon update?

Edited by Nick0007

quickmic

There is a startup delay option available option (plugin config menu -> advanced -> Delay startup). But it's currently not recommended if you use simple IPTV.

As you mentioned, IPTV always starts first, correct. There is no way to control it in a proper way. The current implementation of Emby's LiveTV uses (http) links for EPG for IPTV and pipes it through the plugins internal webservice (internal http server of the plugin).

With this approach, IPTV addon can control the EPG update cycle. It triggers the updates by its own scheduler.

If you delay the startup, IPTV could time out. However, I might change the EPG to a local cached xml file, but the plugin would need trigger the update of the local file periodically AND IPTV triggers another update depending on its scheduler. Not nice, but probably more reliable. I see what I can do.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

LittleWizard

Talking about love tv. I linked emby to tvheadend. It works well except that I can't see recording in progress and scheduled recordings.

I'd like to see in progress recording to be able to start watching them while still not completed.

Emby is able to transcode to lower bit rates and stream them, while using others tvheadend clients (like the one in kodi) you can see in progress recording and watch them, but they are not able to reduce bandwidth.

quickmic
5 hours ago, LittleWizard said:

It works well except that I can't see recording in progress and scheduled recordings.

Currently recordings info are very limited and probably never support all features.

Insights: Kodi's pvr plugins like simpleiptv are not python based. They are written in C therefore they must be compiled for each and every platform (hardware architecture). I'm not gonna start writing pvr from scratch, therefore I'm limited to control existing pvr plugins via API. Unfortunately, the API is also very limited. e.g. I cannot control simpleiptv's recording lists etc. Currently I use some workaround via context menu. Not nice, but that's all I can use at the moment. Maybe I find additional "hacks" for a better integration by manipulations of Kodi's tv and epg database.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic

New PUBLIC TESTING version available 8.2.15:

Delta changelog 8.2.14 -> 8.2.15

use low level API for socket object (performance)
use low level API for custom queue object (performance)
optimize/fix init sync
optimize session commands
change epg refresh method
fix livetv for Kodi 21

Comment:

LiveTV resync is required!

FrostByte

I'm having and issue with the Emby context menu items.  This is only affecting the Emby option, all other items in the context menu don't display the issue.

• plugin 8.2.15
  • server 4.8.0.45
  • client Shield 2019 pro, Android 11

Step:

1. Open movies library
  2. Hard Press on any video
  3. Select "Emby options"

Here's a pic from the default skin Estuary.  Items are selectable, but you can't see them anymore because they are white text on white background.  All skin options are set at default (I don't use this skin).  The transparent line is the one in focus.

image.jpeg.11d9833623599993a2fe8f0c9aaf4ae6.jpeg

Here is a pic from Artic Zephyre Reloaded skin.  Notice the background is transparent from the point of the highest poster (the one with focus) on down.  So, the last two items (Watch together and settings) don't have the background color of the rest of the items in the context menu.

Also, see the badges line.  All the ratings items disappear when I choose Emby options.  This doesn't happen with any other contest items.

image.jpeg.7e10c7f71cfd925cce5fa2c59b02906c.jpeg

Now here is a pic of what all other context menus look like.  Background color is present.  Ratings badges are still good.

image.jpeg.8d21b485a1b32f88ff2e7095b799ed4b.jpeg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I'm also having a couple other issue, but my logs are long gone as I've restarted several times.  One is an issue with new movies not being added to movie sets and also new movie sets not being made in Kodi. All items are good in Emby server.  The other issue is I deleted a movie in Emby which I had two versions of, but it still shows up in Kodi.  

In order to fix I've had to add movies to sets and create movie sets manually and also delete the duplicate movies manually in Kodi.

I'll have to get you logs if you need the next time, but they got deleted playing with the issue from my other post.