Add configuration option to always transmit HLS without transcoding.

Fabian2101

Fabian2101

I want to ask you, if you can please add a configuration option to force my Emby for Windows server to always use HLS streaming.

At the moment my only way to force HLS streaming is to enable the "Convert Unsupported Audio" setting in the Android TV client. And I also have to have all the movie and series files with the default audio track with the E-AC3 or DTS codec. This way I force my Emby server to send HLS streams, instead of HTTP. The problem that with this method my Emby server also transcodes the E-AC3 or DTS audio track to AAC.

If you add a configuration option in the Emby server to force the server to use HLS streaming, then it doesn't transcode the audio track unnecessarily.

HLS transmission in my case solves the problem on my favorite and main television, the problem of constant jumps and jerks in the images.

And since the latest version of the client for Android TV has become obsolete due to playback problems with DV and HDR10, and the client for Android 3.2.92 I don't have any option to force the HLS streaming. Thanks, greetings.

Fabian2101
53 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, why do you want HLS? for starters, you can't put DTS in hls.

Hello, I have a television model with Android TV that was always difficult to get a completely smooth playback, it always had many problems with jumps and jerks in many movie and series files. First it took me more than a year to discover that the MX Player was the only one that achieved totally smooth playback without jumps or jerks in the images at the time that I was still using playback from the USB port of the TV.

When I started using Emby in year 2020, it took me a while to discover until just 4 months ago that if the transmission from my Emby server works in HLS, all the constant jumping and jerking problems in the images are corrected on the television. So just to improve playback on my TV, I need my Emby server to work with HLS.

Because without HLS on my Emby server, my only alternative is to use the external MX Player.

Here is the screenshot of the settings that help me force my Emby server to stream with HLS, because I force the server to transcode the audio track:

1578592267_ImagendeWhatsApp2023-01-21alas00_54_06.jpg.183abbf266e1203fb99ce80a7d528e6c.jpg

But the client for Android 3.2.92 doesn't have that configuration option to force transcode the audio track. And so the stream changes from HTTP to HLS stream which solves the jerky and jumps issue on my TV.

For what reason, the HLS transmission solves the problem of the jumps and jerks in the images on my problematic television, I don't know but it works. Thanks