The Return of the Green Button

softworkz

Junglejim
32 minutes ago, softworkz said:

#2 is the audio player overlay and a "now-playing" stage - so far I got the player moved from the top to the bottom only
#3 is video playback. This is 80% complete but I'm undecided regarding some behavioral questions

After that, we'll be setting up a small group for testing. Please post here if you wan to participate.

Yes please, count me in for testing. :)

arrbee99

I must admit I'm not a devoted fan of WMC like the folks round here, but I'm sorely tempted by the prospect of (excuse the capitals) DECENT HORIZONTAL SCROLLING.

ttgapers
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

I'm not a devoted fan of WMC like the folks round here,

Neither am I, but the look, feel, usability of the WMC interface IMO is leaps and bounds better than anything out there today (not only Emby). I often wondered why we didn't go down this path for most/all clients TBH. Happy it may now be an option - so I can use my Firestick elsewhere, since the Windows Emby Theather app themes aren't even remotely close to what a Windows HTPC WMC looked like in the past and now as per @softworkz

You mention one of the biggest wins for me as well :)

4 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

DECENT HORIZONTAL SCROLLING

Hats off to @softworkz

In addition, my old WMC Logitech remote is a pretty dumb remote for my Firestick enabled Emby. With this theme/skin, one can go back to Windows -> HDMI 1 -> launch App1 from the taskbar and enjoy much better hardware/flexibility  than what a firestick provides. Imagine using the Channel up/down again while watching TV -- grab my popcorn I cannot wait. Or even using the remote now to truly swap HDMI inputs, audio inputs, Bluetooth etc.

Love how this is shaping up!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ttgapers said:

Neither am I, but the look, feel, usability of the WMC interface IMO is leaps and bounds better than anything out there today

Totally agree - that's why the intention has been clear from the first moment on: Not to make Emby just look like WMC, but to bring the full WMC experience as much as possible.

Some examples:

• Support for all WMC remote control commands
  • Modulated key repetition rates (when you press and hold a button) to provide the same fast and fluent navigation experience in guide and gallery (list) views
  • T9 (triple-tap) text input via numeric key when you're in a list and want to jump to a certain letter or combination of letters
  • Horizontal lists with grouping
  • No center-focus auto-scrolling when navigating around
  • Showing Save/Cancel buttons aside rather than at the bottom for quick access (just a single key press LEFT rather than needing to move down to the bottom)
  • Better RC navigation in server settings pages (many server settings pages couldn't be operated by remote control before)
  • and things I already forgot

1 hour ago, ttgapers said:

With this theme/skin, one can go back to Windows -> HDMI 1 -> launch App1 from the taskbar

I'm thinking about creating a launcher background service for Windows which will automatically start Emby Theater (Windows) when you hit The Green Button on a WMC remote (or the corresponding mapped key on a Logitech remote).

Once you're inside the app (or browser Window), hitting that button will always take you to the WMC Start Menu - which closes the loop on the subject of this topic 🙂 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fbrassin said:

Just a question, how are these modifications applied to emby web?

It will be included (eventually). For the testing period, there will be a separate "Emby Web" with the theme included.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fbrassin said:

Can i enter the testing?

Sure, I'll contact all applicants shortly via PM. Thanks.

✨ CALL FOR TESTERS ✨

I have an first version ready for testing now.

Initial testing will be done in a closed group. If you want to take part, drop a short message here!

1 hour ago, K1ng_Lear said:

Looks very nice. Do you plan do add a random suggestion of a movie from the library, too?

It shows the same suggestions like in the other themes - just horizontally.

K1ng_Lear
25 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Oh, I asked, because the horizontal view in the emby theater shows a random movie as suggestion. This would be a really cool feature, because you it will show you randomly something from you library and bring you some idea what to watch.

DavidinCT

Wow, very nice, you are really nailing the look and feel. Impressive looking 

Still a Windows Media Center user here, have everything working perfectly (4K HDR movies, free guide data, YouTubeTV, gaming Modern/Retro, Music, etc) with an eth-6 cablecard tuner. Everything is scripted out to make sure it runs perfectly.  I do pop on here time to time to see what is new.

I will be watching this, maybe it's time to try something new....

I was a Microsoft MVP on Windows Media Center for 3 years, I was on their beta program, a mulit time bug bash winner.  I'm even certified in, So, I know Media center very well :)

Edited by DavidinCT
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, K1ng_Lear said:
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

Oh, I asked, because the horizontal view in the emby theater shows a random movie as suggestion. This would be a really cool feature, because you it will show you randomly something from you library and bring you some idea what to watch.

This is not based on the existing horizontal view, because that is just a single special view while everything else is still vertical. The WMC theme is not based on that view.

So, this would be a feature request for the regular Emby client UI - then it would appear in the WMC theme as well.

ttgapers
23 hours ago, softworkz said:

✨ CALL FOR TESTERS ✨

I have an first version ready for testing now.

Initial testing will be done in a closed group. If you want to take part, drop a short message here!

@softworkz  Please add me :)

Thanks

Edited by ttgapers
  • Like 1

grimevil

Hello, is it a tester you are looking for...

Sorry could not help myself, but add me as well please.

• Like 1