The Return of the Green Button

softworkz

SikSlayer
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

In the WMC theme, you press "down" and them 2 or 3 times "right" to get to the chapter list. Though, this is covering the timeline rather than showing alongside.
I don't see this to be replicable in the exact same way...

...but: there exists an idea that I'd call "Seekbar Annotations". This would be about displaying various types of markers on the seek bar: chapters, intro end, end credits start, etc.

This could be used in combination with another brand new feature (from today)...

This was something I'd been considering putting a request for...

• Like 1

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

In the WMC theme, you press "down" and them 2 or 3 times "right" to get to the chapter list. Though, this is covering the timeline rather than showing alongside.
I don't see this to be replicable in the exact same way...

...but: there exists an idea that I'd call "Seekbar Annotations". This would be about displaying various types of markers on the seek bar: chapters, intro end, end credits start, etc.

This could be used in combination with another brand new feature (from today)...

dvrmstoolbox used to visually mark the adverts from the edl file

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

dvrmstoolbox used to visually mark the adverts from the edl file

In the WMC UI?

Do you have a screenshot? 

sydlexius
8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

In the WMC UI?

Do you have a screenshot? 

I can't speak for @Spaceboy, and I no longer have WMC however I distinctly recall DVRMSToolbox highlighting commercials/ads on the seek bar.

Edit: Found a post demonstrating the UI when you install the DTBAddin that works in conjunction with DVRMSToolbox1_10_10a7334d_comskipxml.png.7a0be70839ed29b911e0484348f358f2.png

Edited by sydlexius
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SikSlayer said:

This was something I'd been considering putting a request for...

I opened a new discussion topic (you know where) with more details.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sydlexius said:

I can't speak for @Spaceboy, and I no longer have WMC however I distinctly recall DVRMSToolbox highlighting commercials/ads on the seek bar.

Edit: Found a post demonstrating the UI when you install the DTBAddin that works in conjunction with DVRMSToolbox1_10_10a7334d_comskipxml.png.7a0be70839ed29b911e0484348f358f2.png

Looks more like it would come from some plugin. The color does not look like as if it would come from WMC itself. 
That's why I've been asking: I've never seen such seekbar decoration in their UI definitions. 

Anyway - we'll find a way. Slightly less intrusive though, I'd say...

Thanks!

WMC Playback Controls

Now that we're at it anyway, lets' go and look at the new playback control features as well:

Button Swap

The FFWD/REWND buttons have been swapped with the skipprev/skipnext buttons.
Use the Skip buttons to skip forward/back by the amount you have configured in playback settings.

Instant Skip

There's no delay when using skip-forward/back buttons. The jump happens instantly

Frame Stepping Mode

When playback is paused, you can use the skip-forward/back buttons to step forward/backward frame-by-frame

Slow Motion and Fast-Forward Playback

When playback is paused, use the FFWD/REW buttons to playback in slow-motion or up to 10x speed

Trick-Play Mode

While playback is running use the FFWD/REW buttons to initiate trick-play mode (4 speed levels): Then new playhead moves forward or backward across the screen (while showing thumbnails, if available) to quickly reach any position. Hit PLAY to continue playing at the current position.

• Like 4

rbjtech
7 hours ago, softworkz said:

WMC Playback Controls

Now that we're at it anyway, lets' go and look at the new playback control features as well:

Button Swap

The FFWD/REWND buttons have been swapped with the skipprev/skipnext buttons.
Use the Skip buttons to skip forward/back by the amount you have configured in playback settings.

Instant Skip

There's no delay when using skip-forward/back buttons. The jump happens instantly

Frame Stepping Mode

When playback is paused, you can use the skip-forward/back buttons to step forward/backward frame-by-frame

When playback is paused, use the FFWD/REW buttons to playback in slow-motion or up to 10x speed

Trick-Play Mode

While playback is running use the FFWD/REW buttons to initiate trick-play mode (4 speed levels): Then new playhead moves forward or backward across the screen (while showing thumbnails, if available) to quickly reach any position. Hit PLAY to continue playing at the current position.

Funnily enough, I re-watched Star Wars a New Hope the other day, and wanted to 'slow-mo' the Cantana scene with Han and Greedo shooting, but couldn't do it frame by frame (in the Android TV App) as you show above.    So it's great to see so much control being given back to the client.  :)

This is also possibly a good case for extra user defined 'Markers' to be stored alongside the main chapters, intro markers etc.   We had thought about this when doing Introskip Plugin and discussing the 'hidden markers' with the Core team, but without the accuracy to seek to the 'marker' there was little point - now we can, it's possibly something to consider.   I'll add it into the Git conversation maybe.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I noticed that this has only been posted privately before, so here's it for completeness:

New Video Playback Features

Instant Skip

Frame Stepping Mode

Trick-Play Mode

While playback is running use the FFWD/REW buttons to initiate tick-play mode (4 speed levels): Then new playhead moves forward or backward across the screen (while showing thumbnails, if available) to quickly reach any position. Hit PLAY to continue playing at the current position.

Seekbar Annotations & Marker-Stepping in Trickplay mode

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3