Sub-Killer Plugin - remove unwanted subs (Samsung Friendly)

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer
9 hours ago, Dickydodah! said:

Hi @Cheesegeezer I've tested on a file with loads of subs including English, English (Forced) and English (SDH). It recognised all three English Subs but only extracted two. Is the SDH extraction in this build? It also threw an error but I can't see exactly why.

embyserver.txt 23.6 kB · 0 downloads

I think the SDH subs are being overwritten with the full English subs so I'm guessing SDH isn't yet implemented 🙂

you are correct sdh isn’t implemented yet

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer

@Dickydodah!

ive been focusing on a new UI and let the plugins just ride, they are at a pretty good place at the moment, but we always play catchup on the bugs and updates from the core. It is what it is.

but standby for the new age interface that will launch a smile on a thousand faces

i hope eek 😬 

• Like 1

Stellarat

Hi @Cheesegeezer, the plugin updated to 1.0.0.6 on my Intel NUC and trawled through my library for 3 hours converting everything! :) 

Preliminary tests indicates that all is well - so a huge thank you from me and my Samsung TV!

I am moving over to a Synology NAS and I went install the plugin on there but it still appears to be at 1.0.0.0 - presumably this just means a build and deploy needs doing for a Linux or Sinology channel?

Thanks again!

image.png.b63859cda0e06cb490d1a3cf74e906ad.png

Edited by Stellarat
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer
2 hours ago, Stellarat said:

Hi @Cheesegeezer, the plugin updated to 1.0.0.6 on my Intel NUC and trawled through my library for 3 hours converting everything! :) 

Preliminary tests indicates that all is well - so a huge thank you from me and my Samsung TV!

I am moving over to a Synology NAS and I went install the plugin on there but it still appears to be at 1.0.0.0 - presumably this just means a build and deploy needs doing for a Linux or Sinology channel?

Thanks again!

image.png.b63859cda0e06cb490d1a3cf74e906ad.png

No problems and thanks for the kind words.

unfortunately the server build of Synology may be earlier than 4.7.9 and i can really do anything about that. My minimum server version is set at 4.7.9 because i had to update my emby packages.

Stellarat
1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

unfortunately the server build of Synology may be earlier than 4.7.9 and i can really do anything about that. My minimum server version is set at 4.7.9 because i had to update my emby packages.

From the dash it looks like it's 4.7.8.0. It auto updated recently and the plugins also updated (see below).

However the downloads has

image.png.869f56e4085daf295c46ee33f6f89db4.png

(with the second one being a beta). So it looks like I can manually install to 4.7.10.0. But I don't know why this isn't available in the Synology Package Center? I assume it's safe to install?  

image.png.c551ef63cb1575cbf98e1725eb7e84ca.png

Edited by Stellarat

Stellarat

I read around the forum and found that it is common practice to manually install on Synology so went ahead and updated to 4.7.10.0.

This made Subkiller 1.0.0.6 available to install so I went ahead and did that.

I then ran it but got the following error:

2022-12-10 11:18:31.902 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://host1/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/a68cbabd002d557c1e1c21c43d74fef7?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Google Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=5d1396f7-c7aa-4b39-b8a9-fd360eb414ab&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.7.10.0. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
2022-12-10 11:18:31.906 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host2. Time: 5ms. http://host1/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/a68cbabd002d557c1e1c21c43d74fef7?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Google Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=5d1396f7-c7aa-4b39-b8a9-fd360eb414ab&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.7.10.0
2022-12-10 11:18:31.912 Error TaskManager: Error
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.10.0
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build13) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42962 SMP Tue Sep 20 22:35:56 CST 2022
	Framework: .NET 6.0.8
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 2
	Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
	Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
	System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
	   at Emby.SubKiller.ScheduledTasks.SubKillerScheduledTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)
	Source: Emby.SubKiller
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Any ideas?

image.png.1b246847018fa7362bb016d3b4ec595f.png

Cheesegeezer

I just fixed all my plugins.  I removed the JSON packages from this and the others that don't require it.

Give it a shot now 1.0.0.7 should show up and install for you.

let me know how you get on.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Stellarat
1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

let me know how you get on.

Thanks for jumping on this so quickly! It's running... I'll let you know how it got on in 3 hours!

Stellarat

Ok, well after initially thinking that things didn't work - it looks they have!

There just seems to be a need to update the meta data as it is still showing that the other subs are there even though they disappear after forcing it to refresh. This also seems to be the case to get play back working in the browser. I get  a "No compatible streams are currently available" message, but after the refresh it worked fine.

There do appear to be some errors in the log. I wonder if having the option to monitor the Libraries for new content ticked at the same time as the rebuild all ticked is causing an issue?

I attach the log: embyserver (6).txt

Before refreshing the cache:

image.png.abbf2c2b09e552172cb3d036fd2a45cc.png

After:

image.png.704c7538aac2a53c88c4fa9e62a1970a.png

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
9 hours ago, Stellarat said:

Ok, well after initially thinking that things didn't work - it looks they have!

There just seems to be a need to update the meta data as it is still showing that the other subs are there even though they disappear after forcing it to refresh. This also seems to be the case to get play back working in the browser. I get  a "No compatible streams are currently available" message, but after the refresh it worked fine.

There do appear to be some errors in the log. I wonder if having the option to monitor the Libraries for new content ticked at the same time as the rebuild all ticked is causing an issue?

I attach the log: embyserver (6).txt

Before refreshing the cache:

image.png.abbf2c2b09e552172cb3d036fd2a45cc.png

After:

image.png.704c7538aac2a53c88c4fa9e62a1970a.png

There is too much going on with the core detection that everything is pretty much disabled now. So I will remove the option. 

• Like 1

Hello,
I'm new to this topic, but I have 3 Samsung TVs and the two older ones are causing me a lot of problems... (I've attached a video)... SamES gave me a solution to eliminate the excessive number of subtitles that appear mainly in the MKVToolNix GUI Apple/NetFilx/Amazon movies... with MKVToolNix GUI, the movie and audio were extracted and with gMKVExtractGUI subtitles... it worked... they appear longer on older cube models than in the video attachment
older     QE55Q7FNA cubs problems (see attached video)    MKVToolNix GUI + gMKVExtractGUI  solve my problem ... thx SamES :) 
older     UE65KS9002 cubs problems (see attached video)    MKVToolNix GUI + gMKVExtractGUI  solve my problem ... thx SamES :) 
newer   QE65QN900A everything works as it should (everything works as it should without
                               anything touched by the movie...it looks that newer TV is much stronger and it can handle newer mkv files)

But I have one question about the Sub-Killer plug-in (I think it's a really good solution), do you specify the libraries or does this program then work only in these libraries or everywhere?

Include Emby Libraries to Remove Subtitles:   
This is very important to me because I have a large database and so that nothing gets destroyed...

I would make one folder for problematic movies, show it to Sub-Killer and play problematic movies from it

But I also have the feeling that older TVs can't do everything.. because the new Samsung NEO 8K doesn't have these problems... for a long time I thought that the problem was the speed of the cable connection between the TV and the switch/Router and the computer

greetings to all and good health
alesk76

Dickydodah!

You choose which libraries you want SubKiller to process and only files in this library will have the subtitles removed. You can also choose which languages you want to retain subtitles for. All embedded subtitles are removed and the ones you have marked for keeping are written as external SRT files in the same folder as the video.

It's best if you setup a test library and copy files manually into that location so you can get to understand what setup you want. You can setup real time monitoring so that the files are process when they are added or configure a scheduled task to run. Once you are happy with what's happening you can add your main libraries.

Samsung TV's have issues with any file with a lot of embedded subtitles so if you want to keep all of them extracting to external SRT files is the only real fix and Subkiller does this.

If you only want to keep one language then you could delete all except the language you want and leave that embedded which is what I guess you are currently doing with MKVToolNix GUI but SubKiller doesn't work this way.

Edited by Dickydodah!
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dickydodah! said:

You choose which libraries you want SubKiller to process and only files in this library will have the subtitles removed. You can also choose which languages you want to retain subtitles for. All embedded subtitles are removed and the ones you have marked for keeping are written as external SRT files in the same folder as the video.

It's best if you setup a test library and copy files manually into that location so you can get to understand what setup you want. You can setup real time monitoring so that the files are process when they are added or configure a scheduled task to run. Once you are happy with what's happening you can add your main libraries.

Samsung TV's have issues with any file with a lot of embedded subtitles so if you want to keep all of them extracting to external SRT files is the only real fix and Subkiller does this.

If you only want to keep one language then you could delete all except the language you want and leave that embedded which is what I guess you are currently doing with MKVToolNix GUI but SubKiller doesn't work this way.

@Dickydodah!  ... thx for so fast replay 

All embedded subtitles are removed and the ones you have marked for keeping are written as external SRT files in the same folder as the video.  you wrote... but what if you allready have there external subtitle...  example:  best movie.mkv (with a lot od subtitles inside) + Best Movie.srt (you have evtracted subtitles out of movie with gMKVExtractGUI) 

Will   Sub-Killer   then overwrite allready extracted SRT file ? ... just want to know for shure before I will do something stupid :) hahahah...  

But like I have mentioned up ... the latest Samsung Neo 8K 65'' it doesnt gave this problem at ll ... al works like it should with all mkv files....

Only my older Samsung TV models have this isue :( 

And metod which I have use now/today first time that I have use those two programs  MKVToolNix GUI + gMKVExtractGUI works very good but it taks more time to first extract Video and Audio with MKVToolNix GUI from original file where subtiteles are also included.... + then extract subtitels with gMKVExtractGUI from original file ... and at least put in the same folder extracted mkv (which include video+audio)  and subtitles .... All Works Fine :) 

(If I have extract with MKVToolNix GUI  from original file Video+Audio+Subtitle (lets say two) ... I also get from time to time cubs during the movie :( ) ...

yes I have test a lot of combinations... 

• Like 2

Dickydodah!
22 minutes ago, alesk76 said:

Will   Sub-Killer   then overwrite allready extracted SRT file ?

I'm not sure, it might but if you have already extracted the sub with MKVToolNix then there won't be a sub to extract so shouldn't be a problem. This is a good example of why you should test your setup on a test library first to make sure you understand what happens in each scenario you have. If you copy not move files to the test library then you will be safe.

22 minutes ago, alesk76 said:

the latest Samsung Neo 8K 65'' it doesnt gave this problem at ll

I don't know why this is the case but I would guess that the later TV has a better processor or maybe changed software that can cope with the large number of subs. Even on my old TV as long as there are less than 20 subs I don't see any issues. most Netflix series though have around 32 subs and these show picture breakup until I remove some or all subs.

Assuming you only want one language of subs a quicker method using MKVToolNix GUI is to add the file, deselect all subs except the one you want and then hit the start multiplexing button at the bottom of the screen. This doesn't take very long, maybe 60 seconds. the resulting file should work fine as you hopefully will have only a few subs. All still very manual and time consuming though.

34 minutes ago, alesk76 said:

(If I have extract with MKVToolNix GUI  from original file Video+Audio+Subtitle (lets say two) ... I also get from time to time cubs during the movie :( ) ...

That sounds strange. It may be that you have forced subs enabled and the audio is in a foreign language at some point.

Have a play with SubKiller on a test library and I'm sure you will be pleased with the results. I enabled debug logging in Emby and followed what was happening in them so I could see what was going on, quite interesting in a geeky way 🙂 

• Like 2

I have create one map/Folder for testing and marked everthing like it is on the post ... but how do I know that SubKill is runing and that it is done his job???!!

Do I have to start something or what.. I put one Apple movie with a lot of subs ... run it from Emby Server Premium but everithing is still the same ...

Im doing something wrong... :( .. please for help... I have also restart Emby Server ... and Sub Kill is installed  

• Like 1

Dickydodah!

I run my Emby on a Windows system so I will base my answer on that. A little bit of info on your setup would be useful such as operating system, are your files on the same machine or a network share.

Do you have "enable Subkiller" and "autorun on new media added" turned on?

Do you have at least one language selected to keep the subs?

Do you have the "extract text based subtitles" option turned on? To start with don't select only forced for simplicity.

Lastly does the new test Library show up in the "enabled libraries" list?

If yes to all the above then when a new file is added it should be detected and 5 minutes later SubKiller should do it's stuff.

But (there is always a But) you said 

32 minutes ago, alesk76 said:

I have create one map/Folder for testing

If this is a mapped network drive/folder the RTM (real time monitoring) may not work so you may have to use the scheduled task instead.

If you go to the "Scheduled Tasks" setting in Emby you can manually start a SubKiller scan or set it to a schedule. Once you have got it to actually scan and process a file the exact setup you have will dictate the way forwards 🙂

Before running SubKiller manually it may be worthwhile setting logs to DeBug and then back in Scheduled Tasks rotating the log file. Might be useful if it still doesn't work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dickydodah! said:

I run my Emby on a Windows system so I will base my answer on that. A little bit of info on your setup would be useful such as operating system, are your files on the same machine or a network share.

Do you have "enable Subkiller" and "autorun on new media added" turned on?

Do you have at least one language selected to keep the subs?

Do you have the "extract text based subtitles" option turned on? To start with don't select only forced for simplicity.

Lastly does the new test Library show up in the "enabled libraries" list?

If yes to all the above then when a new file is added it should be detected and 5 minutes later SubKiller should do it's stuff.

But (there is always a But) you said 

If this is a mapped network drive/folder the RTM (real time monitoring) may not work so you may have to use the scheduled task instead.

If you go to the "Scheduled Tasks" setting in Emby you can manually start a SubKiller scan or set it to a schedule. Once you have got it to actually scan and process a file the exact setup you have will dictate the way forwards 🙂

Before running SubKiller manually it may be worthwhile setting logs to DeBug and then back in Scheduled Tasks rotating the log file. Might be useful if it still doesn't work.

hi,

I have solve the problem.. I do not know what happened but it just start working... I have also set scheduled ... if I will need it fast I will run it manualy ... 

thx for all help and your time man :) 

best regards to all 

hi man...

I still have problem after I add new file to my testing folder.. it doesnt start and I have setup all like you have writen in your manual and as you wrote me again here...

very strange... I think that developer should do some option which would wotk as Emby have to checking new added files in folders... tha you could mange to setup refresh folder time...

I know that it have scheduled time but refres folder freq.  could be on 1min or samthing like that 

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, alesk76 said:

hi man...

I still have problem after I add new file to my testing folder.. it doesnt start and I have setup all like you have writen in your manual and as you wrote me again here...

very strange... I think that developer should do some option which would wotk as Emby have to checking new added files in folders... tha you could mange to setup refresh folder time...

I know that it have scheduled time but refres folder freq.  could be on 1min or samthing like that 

I am the developer… and this plugin is not expensing on watch counts, new item added events.   Experienced it does not work well outside the core

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
gihayes

Hi @Cheesegeezer

SubKiller doesn't seem to be working for me. It starts, (I can see it in the Dashboard and Scheduled task) but it never moves beyond 0% and never ends. The log also looks like there are errors associated with it. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing with no change. I currently have it scheduled to work on newly added items only. When I run it manually I get the same result. I am attaching a log file. I'd appreciate any assistance in determining what's wrong.

Thanks

embyserver (1).txt

• 2 months later...
Napo_Leon
On 3/7/2023 at 12:34 AM, gihayes said:

Hi @Cheesegeezer

SubKiller doesn't seem to be working for me. It starts, (I can see it in the Dashboard and Scheduled task) but it never moves beyond 0% and never ends. The log also looks like there are errors associated with it. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing with no change. I currently have it scheduled to work on newly added items only. When I run it manually I get the same result. I am attaching a log file. I'd appreciate any assistance in determining what's wrong.

Thanks

embyserver (1).txt 1.4 MB · 2 downloads

I have exactly the same issue. Subkiller task is running is dashboard but never surpasses 0.0%. 
I created a test movie in a test library with an English and Spanish sub (SUBrip) to test with. I only have English ticked in Subkiller, it does extract the English SRT but it never removes the Spanish subtitle. Any ideas?

Thanks 

Cheesegeezer
8 minutes ago, Napo_Leon said:

I have exactly the same issue. Subkiller task is running is dashboard but never surpasses 0.0%. 
I created a test movie in a test library with an English and Spanish sub (SUBrip) to test with. I only have English ticked in Subkiller, it does extract the English SRT but it never removes the Spanish subtitle. Any ideas?

Thanks 

If you can enable debug logging and rotate the log and the run the task, just on your test library. I will see where it’s failing.

unfortunately at the moment I’m not getting much dev screen time. So I’ll try and get around to it this week.

AuroraSR72

Hi Cheese,

Getting the logs together for the issue I am still having, but there is an additional question I have. In the Library Selection section, does "Extract Text Based Subtitles" mean "Only Extract Text Subtitles"? So that if the button is off it will extract all subtitles, and if it's on it will only extract text subtitles? 

Thanks