New version Android TV

MAX92

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, mike3821 said:

Seems like the android version doesn’t show you video previews ?

You mean Cinema intros?

bandit8623

i can tell you on the android app i dont get live tv playback errors on the server side like i do on the android tv app.  also the live tv starts playing quicker and less pausing on first play.

emby5.png

emby error.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

i can tell you on the android app i dont get live tv playback errors on the server side like i do on the android tv app.  also the live tv starts playing quicker and less pausing on first play.

Hi.  There isn't really an error there.  That display is due to you have selected the option to not try and direct stream live TV.  If you bring up the stats for nerds in the app, it will indicate this is due to the option setting.

vdatanet

Are there plans for passthrough using optical connection? My dad still uses Plex, because with Plex he gets AC3 5.1 passthrough using optical and he doesn't want to change the receiver which works perfectly, just because it doesn't have HDMI connections. 

I want to remove his Plex server and give him access to my Emby server.

32 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Are there plans for passthrough using optical connection? My dad still uses Plex, because with Plex he gets AC3 5.1 passthrough using optical and he doesn't want to change the receiver which works perfectly, just because it doesn't have HDMI connections. 

I want to remove his Plex server and give him access to my Emby server.

Have you tried with the standard app?

vdatanet
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

I only tested it with the Android TV app. I'm going to visit him this weekend and try it out. I'll report the results.

bandit8623
14 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  There isn't really an error there.  That display is due to you have selected the option to not try and direct stream live TV.  If you bring up the stats for nerds in the app, it will indicate this is due to the option setting.

it is an error because on both apps its direct playing ,  but the one says there is an error server side.  on the nerd stats it says direct for both vid and audio on the tv app and android app..  same settings on both apps and both direct playing

i think i know what u are seeing.  ignore the fire tv in both pics.

the 2 pics with 192.168.2.114 you should be comparing.  here both same settings and direct play. both from same device just diff apps.

android.png

android2.png

Edited by bandit8623

Hi,

With Android version, Passthrough is OK but I can accelerate. I have the option but it doesn't work. I show x2 but nothing happen. 

With Android TV version, I have to put option "downmix stereo", option I don't have on Android Version. 

What I would like is an automatic option which switch between "Downmix stereo" and "Auto" to have DTS in x1 and switch to stereo when x2.

5 hours ago, MAX92 said:

With Android version, Passthrough is OK but I can accelerate. I have the option but it doesn't work. I show x2 but nothing happen

Right, the speed change only works if not bitstreaming so the TV app doesn't show you the option when it knows it won't work.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:22 PM, ptvir said:

Hi, can someone explain what is missing in Android vs. ATV regarding the pass through functionality?

I am running the Emby client in a NVIDIA Shield device. The Shield device is connected   to an AVR which handles all the audio related functionalities. Can I utilize the AVR for audio processing (Atmos etc.) when using the Android app or does it do everything inside the shield device?

I use the ATV app with passthrough for all audio. If I find an issue with direct play it is usually due to the TV or AV unit not supporting so I use an external player like VLC or MX player to resolve the need for transcoding. It only really happens on a few Dolby Vision streams for me though.

vdatanet
On 9/27/2022 at 6:58 PM, Luke said:

Yes I've tried, and as I expected on the optical output you always get stereo downmix.

Plex has an option like this:

Audio passthrough:

1) Disabled: you get downmix stereo

2) HDMI: You get audio passthrough depending on device capabilities

2) Optical: As the optical devices do not report their capabilities, it must be indicated if it supports AC3, DTS...

More audio output configuration options would be welcome.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

Yes I've tried, and as I expected on the optical output you always get stereo downmix.

Plex has an option like this:

Audio passthrough:

1) Disabled: you get downmix stereo

2) HDMI: You get audio passthrough depending on device capabilities

2) Optical: As the optical devices do not report their capabilities, it must be indicated if it supports AC3, DTS...

More audio output configuration options would be welcome.

Do you still get PCM 2.0 if you override what is detected for audio support?  

What is the hardware setup path for that setup? 

Edited by FrostByte

zellonatious
On 9/23/2022 at 3:22 AM, MAX92 said:

I seem that Android TV will be stop to be remplace by Android version. Is it true ?

Where did you hear that? I hope that's not true because the only reason I use emby is because of the android tv app. Might as well move to jellyfin and bring that up to scratch if this happens.

vdatanet
13 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Do you still get PCM 2.0 if you override what is detected for audio support?  

What is the hardware setup path for that setup? 

The Xiaomi Mi Box has an option to setup optical output to RAW or PCM. It's set to RAW and using any app I get the desired AC3 5.1 but with Emby only the stereo mix.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 4:07 AM, vdatanet said:

The Xiaomi Mi Box has an option to setup optical output to RAW or PCM. It's set to RAW and using any app I get the desired AC3 5.1 but with Emby only the stereo mix.

OK yes we can look at that. Thanks.

mike3821

What I’ve noticed is the animation flow between navigation feels different. Not sure how to explain but it bugs me when moving around the app.

14 minutes ago, mike3821 said:

What I’ve noticed is the animation flow between navigation feels different. Not sure how to explain but it bugs me when moving around the app.

What specifically bugs you?

Lexizilla

I also prefere the Android TV app

Simple reason:
I use a Zidoo Player, that works great together with Emby Android TV app and Dolby Vision.

The normal App is starting, but you can´t navigate with the hardware remote of the Zidoo Player. So, that normal Android app version is not an option...

I´m also a bit sad, that the Android TV Release Topic is not up to date. Latest entry was Version 2.0.77g, but I have Version 2.0.79g installed...

2 minutes ago, Lexizilla said:

I also prefere the Android TV app

Simple reason:
I use a Zidoo Player, that works great together with Emby Android TV app and Dolby Vision.

The normal App is starting, but you can´t navigate with the hardware remote of the Zidoo Player. So, that normal Android app version is not an option...

I´m also a bit sad, that the Android TV Release Topic is not up to date. Latest entry was Version 2.0.77g, but I have Version 2.0.79g installed...

Hi, why can't you navigate? Did you enable TV display mode?

Lexizilla
On 10/5/2022 at 6:15 PM, Luke said:

Hi, why can't you navigate? Did you enable TV display mode?

how can I enable any mode or settings, when I am from startup of the App not able to navigate via remote ? Maybe by buying an AirMouse, but how terrible is the usage of such kind device with an airmouse, no way xD

I tested with the originale Zidoo remote and with my TV remote from LG via CEC function. 
Was not able to switch to any settings or any menu.  

Maybe with the new version of the App it is possible and maybe I took not enough energy on it, but as i saw, there is an Android TV app available from Emby, it was logical for me,to switch over to that version. Those was working from start without any issue and everything is working fine. So why changing ? 

You now, sometimes it is not so easy to stay by Emby, when only the Web App is in Focus. 
I also have a Apple TV 4K, that one is also totaly ignored by Emby. Yes, there is an App available, but that one is absoulutly basic and all of the power of the Apple TV is not applied. And it is not the fault of Apple, because Apps like Infuse on Apple TV are great to play files in any formtr incl. DV, HDR, dynamic resolution and frame switching etc.
Which Hardware should we use as Emby Client ?
FireTV - slow device, no DV, no full sound pasthrough
Apple TV - no DV, no resolution and framswitching
SmartTV Apps - often slow, also LG - no DTS
Roku TV - no DV

So that was the reson, why I choose the latest Zidoo Hardware Player. Also had some issues by using other apps. But i like only to play my local Files in best quality. And exactly that is perfectly done by the Zidoo Player in combination with Emby Server :)

Kind Regards

3 hours ago, Lexizilla said:

how can I enable any mode or settings, when I am from startup of the App not able to navigate via remote ? Maybe by buying an AirMouse, but how terrible is the usage of such kind device with an airmouse, no way xD

I tested with the originale Zidoo remote and with my TV remote from LG via CEC function. 
Was not able to switch to any settings or any menu.  

Maybe with the new version of the App it is possible and maybe I took not enough energy on it, but as i saw, there is an Android TV app available from Emby, it was logical for me,to switch over to that version. Those was working from start without any issue and everything is working fine. So why changing ? 

You now, sometimes it is not so easy to stay by Emby, when only the Web App is in Focus. 
I also have a Apple TV 4K, that one is also totaly ignored by Emby. Yes, there is an App available, but that one is absoulutly basic and all of the power of the Apple TV is not applied. And it is not the fault of Apple, because Apps like Infuse on Apple TV are great to play files in any formtr incl. DV, HDR, dynamic resolution and frame switching etc.
Which Hardware should we use as Emby Client ?
FireTV - slow device, no DV, no full sound pasthrough
Apple TV - no DV, no resolution and framswitching
SmartTV Apps - often slow, also LG - no DTS
Roku TV - no DV

So that was the reson, why I choose the latest Zidoo Hardware Player. Also had some issues by using other apps. But i like only to play my local Files in best quality. And exactly that is perfectly done by the Zidoo Player in combination with Emby Server :)

Kind Regards

I've added some special handling for Zidoo. Can you please try downloading the latest build again:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

It should default to TV display mode now. Thanks.