New version Android TV

MAX92

Hello everybody,

I seem that Android TV will be stop to be remplace by Android version. Is it true ? 

For me, I prefere Android TV even if there are not all options.

Thanks

@Luke It is more simple and I think for a TV. It is what I am searching. We have only option for how to play videos and see it.

I think it is done more for a remote than the Android version which is use with a finger. 

So is it the end of TV version ? 

• Like 1

Mainly because you have only options for watching video and no option to modifie metadata, pictures.... 

When you are on TV,  you need what is necessary. If you want to modify you have your smartphone. I thinjk poster is bigger to on TV.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, MAX92 said:

Mainly because you have only options for watching video and no option to modifie metadata, pictures.... 

When you are on TV,  you need what is necessary. If you want to modify you have your smartphone. I thinjk poster is bigger to on TV.

Can't you just ignore those and pretend that they're not there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes I can but I will say less can be better.

UX is very important, you can have so many thing that finaly, you see nothing. If you have only what is necessary, it is better. My opinion.

• Like 1

I agree with Max92. The Android TV app is far better on a TV. Much easier to navigate, search and change settings. I use a keyboard. The Android app works ok on a mobile or tablet but is a real pain to use on a TV. I hope you don't drop the TV version.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jalfrezi said:

I agree with Max92. The Android TV app is far better on a TV. Much easier to navigate, search and change settings. I use a keyboard. The Android app works ok on a mobile or tablet but is a real pain to use on a TV. I hope you don't drop the TV version.

Why do you think it's easier to navigate?

For exemple to leave Emby, you have just one validation on android tv after back button, on Android back bouton then you have to choose leave. 

Characters are bigger and presentation is more than I expect.

There are too many option on android 

16639466646036485316249370934407.jpg

16639467441765418838923893826851.jpg

16639468781886645744635674969400.jpg

fillidill

For me it is mostly just that it is faster on our Chromecast with Google TV. Additionally it seems to be more stable when it comes to playing videos. If the other android app had this fixed I would switch in a heartbeat.

unisoft
16 hours ago, MAX92 said:

For exemple to leave Emby, you have just one validation on android tv after back button, on Android back bouton then you have to choose leave. 

Characters are bigger and presentation is more than I expect.

There are too many option on android 

16639466646036485316249370934407.jpg

16639467441765418838923893826851.jpg

16639468781886645744635674969400.jpg

you are logged on with an Emby admin account there, hence the many options you quoted.

Create another Emby user and reduce the user options to administer, and log into the TV with that account. Far less options shown.

Edited by unisoft
  • Like 1

unisoft
16 hours ago, MAX92 said:

And it is speeder in Android TV

I am using both to do comparison, side-by-side and I haven't found that it's slower, especially if you are using the latest Android version...Feels like both are same speeds overall.

Hi. I also use the Android TV app because it has passthrough and Dolby audio options for use with my AV units. As far as I am aware the Android app doesn't have this option? I moved from Plex orginally due to this. Also I believe there are still issues using external players regarding resume, rewind, fast forward etc. Although it is a while since I used the Android app tbh.

Edited by jalfrezi

49 minutes ago, jalfrezi said:

Hi. I also use the Android TV app because it has passthrough and Dolby audio options for use with my AV units. 

Me too, passthrough is so important !

• Like 1

FrostByte

The additional functions that are in ATV now are slowly making it into the standard app.  Luke has mentioned more passthrough options will be coming with the standard app.  

However, as of now the goal seems to be that eventually there will only be one Android app in the future.  If you want to contribute you can run both apps and make comments in the testing thread for the standard app to make it better.  Nothing is stopping you from using ATV though as ebr has been maintaining and keeping it functional with new server and Exoplayer updates.  Concentration of their efforts has obviously been focused more on the standard app right now though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@FrostByte

Thanks for your answer, it is make sence. 

I always watch the broadcasts recorded by my tuner in x1.5. Unfortunately, this requires me to change the audio output to "Downmix stereo" and Android TV.

Would you have a way if we put the audio output in "auto" that it changes by itself for Android : for TV shows in "Downmix stereo" when you accelerate and the rest in Passthrough.

Thanks a lot

FrostByte
7 minutes ago, MAX92 said:

@FrostByte

Thanks for your answer, it is make sence. 

I always watch the broadcasts recorded by my tuner in x1.5. Unfortunately, this requires me to change the audio output to "Downmix stereo" and Android TV.

Would you have a way if we put the audio output in "auto" that it changes by itself for Android : for TV shows in "Downmix stereo" when you accelerate and the rest in Passthrough.

Thanks a lot

I'm not a dev, but I believe that's part of what Luke said he's working on.  Everything of mine passes through no problem and I don't need any downmixing or other preprocessing.  However, some audio equipment it appears needs the addition help on the client side which ATV has.

If you do want to provide input, or just follow the development of the standard app it's in the link below.  I believe #30 in the list at the beginning covers your issue, but if you see something that ATV does which you need just mention it and someone can add it.  

• Like 1

Hi. I also use the Android TV app because it has passthrough and Dolby audio options for use with my AV units. As far as I am aware the Android app doesn't have this option. I moved from Plex orginally due to this.

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

The additional functions that are in ATV now are slowly making it into the standard app.  Luke has mentioned more passthrough options will be coming with the standard app.  

However, as of now the goal seems to be that eventually there will only be one Android app in the future.  If you want to contribute you can run both apps and make comments in the testing thread for the standard app to make it better.  Nothing is stopping you from using ATV though as ebr has been maintaining and keeping it functional with new server and Exoplayer updates.  Concentration of their efforts has obviously been focused more on the standard app right now though. 

Hi, can someone explain what is missing in Android vs. ATV regarding the pass through functionality?

I am running the Emby client in a NVIDIA Shield device. The Shield device is connected   to an AVR which handles all the audio related functionalities. Can I utilize the AVR for audio processing (Atmos etc.) when using the Android app or does it do everything inside the shield device?

FrostByte

Passthrough works fine.  I passthrough Atmos, DTS:X, etc every day to my AVR.

From what I understand the passthrough options in ATV aren't for people who have AVRs that support passthrough for everything, it's for people whose system doesn't support something, and they don't want the Shield to convert it to PCM 2.0 or something like that.  So, they are really more like don't passthrough options if unchecked.  For instance, you uncheck it if you don't want to passthrough DTS because you would rather have the server remux it to Dolby 5.1 than have the Shield convert it to PCM 2.0 if your soundbar doesn't support DTS.

@CBersmay be able to explain it better because I believe he uses it on one of his Shields.  

Both apps can be installed on your Shield at the same time though if you want to try them.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1