Cannot login nor playback

Trevor68

Trevor68

Sure, though we have been down this path before and I never got so much as a reply for my last efforts. 

I will load it up later today as off to work now, maybe 4-5 hours from now. 

That would be great, thanks. There are some updates to the video player. When you said the TV app played the hevc perfectly, was it direct playing, or was the server transcoding?

Trevor68

I have no idea how to check, I've never bothered, I just presume everything will transcode and allow for that accordingly, given it takes so little to cause it these days. 

Hence the move from my I5 Nuc to my I7 truenas box, so it can handle 4K playback. Then discovery of the whole emby doesn't understand reverse nas (the original point of this topic) canned the truenas box idea, so now it runs on my Gaming rig, which has plenty of mumbo via the GPU. 

The point is AndroidTV app works flawlessly on ALL of my hardware. 

The Android app ONLY works as it should on my Android 12 phone. 

What you should be asking yourself as a developer is why? 

I have already given you my best guess, that it is a Android 10 Vs Android 12 thing, but hey, it is your software, I leave it to you to work out why. 

Also none of my hardware is uncommon, I find it odd that you can't find a similar setup to do some actual playback testing on. 

Edited by Trevor68

I have no idea how to check, I've never bothered, I just presume everything will transcode and allow for that accordingly, given it takes so little to cause it these days. 

Your server dashboard can tell you if you look at it during playback. The stats feature directly in the video player also indicates the play method.

Trevor68

well sure, if there was any actual playback happening! I guess I will check first with the working app before I sideload yours. 

On another note if you guys are so convinced that this is my setup, why don't you just have a test server I can connect to? That way we can both play the exact same file and see the outcome . 

Reading the other thread it seems other users are also having trouble with transcoding on your app, so maybe onto something. 

Edited by Trevor68

19 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

well sure, if there was any actual playback happening! I guess I will check first with the working app before I sideload yours. 

On another note if you guys are so convinced that this is my setup, why don't you just have a test server I can connect to? That way we can both play the exact same file and see the outcome . 

Reading the other thread it seems other users are also having trouble with transcoding on your app, so maybe onto something. 

No I'm saying on the TV that's what might be transcoding with the server and is playing successfully. The standard app is probably trying to direct play. So in addition to getting the log file from the standard app, if you could also play with the TV app again and then let me know if it is direct playing or transcoding. Thanks.

Trevor68

Yup, precisely what I said, except I will check first, not after 😉

you realise we have done this so many times this is now download number 5 right. 😆

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

ok hiccup number one, your app is not engaging the keyboard, so i cannot manually enter my server

Trevor68

In the meantime I did some checking, and all of my files are direct playing in the Android TV (beta) app. I will wait for you to post a working test app now. 

Trevor68

ok next problem, while i wait for a working keyboard I decided to test with my I5 NUC seeing as everything is direct play, and sure enough, it only uses about 5% CPU when it attempts to play a 4K movie. Your app however did not generate any logs, well at least Android/Data/Com.MB.android/files was MT. 

Anyhoo the experience once again remains unchanged 1080p direct playback is laggy, as in circle spin, circle stop, circle spin again, but does eventually play. 4K direct playback is unwatchable, it will eventually start, and show as direct playing in the server, but nothing happens in the client. 

Only available logs attached. I am curious why I'm detecting hardware from 2040 and 2051 though, I hope that future hardware is good stuff. 

ffmpeg-remux-c6abc307-5f86-4c9f-bb5b-24c03692fb97_1.txt hardware_detection-63794690820.txt hardware_detection-63794690922.txt embyserver (1).txt hardware_detection-64371286890.txt hardware_detection-64702454483.txt

Trevor68

at this point I may just download the new update from the website if your special logging one isn't working and test that against both servers. 

Trevor68

ah funny story, but the latest download from the webpage also has no keyboard. 

PS: and also does not generate a log

Edited by Trevor68

19 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

ah funny story, but the latest download from the webpage also has no keyboard. 

PS: and also does not generate a log

Please try the Dropbox link I gave you earlier:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

It will generate a log file. Thanks.

Trevor68

ok, app still has no keyboard, so I can still only test the one server (I5 no GPU) but after my third filemanager download (Solid Explorer) I can now see the logs. That was weird, given I have used apk manager to post logs for you before today. 

Anyhow, as attached, and still too laggy to use. 

55a0ca17-a01b-4834-a2d3-effaa7ae6ab7.log

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

So I've been sideloading Emby for Android onto a GCwGTV and also a AndroidTV and an Amazon Firestick. I thought I had better post my experiences in the right area so here we are. My experience has been the same across all my devices so far and that is massive lag playing playing 1080p content, and completely unable to play 4K content. 

I downloaded from here 30 mins ago, note this version still has no working keyboard, so I can only test my normal server (I5 Nuc) as I cannot manually enter my other one. 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/raw/master/android/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk

All files direct play fine in Emby for AndroidTV, and they are also direct playing in the Android app. 

Once again 1080P HEVC H265 did play, although still a bit clunky, as in stopping circles etc. 4K HEVC HDR H265 files attempt to play, and say they are direct playing in the server, but nothing happens in the client. Same files play perfectly in Emby for AndroidTV. 

Also this download is not generating any log files, I tried three different file managers, but nothing, the folder is empty. 

Server logs attached. 

ffmpeg-remux-b160f0a6-2054-430f-9425-340286a86998_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-2c3a2f9f-2c41-4d69-b0f4-99b0fc5a9c3b_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-ac5e5a3f-d2f0-45ae-abfc-b78eef00c697_1.txt embyserver (2).txt

Dlarge

I can't confirm that, everything works exactly as before.
All 4K files with TrueHD or DTS up to HDA 7.1 run perfectly without jerking or anything else.

I am testing on the Fire TV 4K and Shield TV 2015

Edited by Dlarge

Trevor68

Mmm, I wonder if my Firestick being the Lite makes a difference? I imagine not given the AndroidTV client works fine on it. 

Edited by Trevor68

16 hours ago, Trevor68 said:

I wonder if my Firestick being the Lite makes a difference?

Yes, it very well may.

Trevor68

Sadly I get the same experience on both my Android TV and both of my CCwGTV devices. I have seen 3 shield users mention it on this forum as well. 

I'm not opposed to learning a new interface, but it would be nice if it actually functioned as well. Could we at least have a working keyboard again please? 

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

For me I just switch back to the Android TV app and all is well. I guess once that is no longer an option I'll be moving on. 

Why exactly do you think there's no keyboard? Have you tried focusing the text input and using the enter button on the remote?