Cannot login nor playback

Trevor68

Trevor68

Hi,

I am running the truecharts version of Emby on Truenas Scale. For my Web and Android Mobile clients this has gone well and they function fine. The AndroidTV client however cannot sign in, or if I sign in using Connect then it cannot start playback. 

I thought I had resolved this by sideloading the latest beta, which did indeed login and playback just fine, for 24 hours. Tonight however, all clients cannot login again, not even using Connect this time. Web and Android Mobile both still fine. 

No doubt the issue is going to be that I run a wildcard SSL cert via a traefik reverse proxy using cloudflare as the DNS provider, details here. 

07 - Adding Lets-Encrypt Certificates - TrueCharts

So basically Emby runs at https://media.mydomain.com with no need for ports, and fully certified for SSL. The server itself does not seem to allow for this configuration, so it adds 8096 to the domain name, and guesses some weird IP for the LAN. Regardless the web client and android mobile client login to https://media.mydomain.com just fine, either internal to my LAN or externally. 

So I guess my question becomes why can the AndroidTV client not do the same? 

embyserver-63792553598.txt hardware_detection-63792554782.txt embyserver.txt

Hi.  On the login screen, there is a "Send Logs" button.  Can you try to login, let it fail, and then press that button?  Then come here and tell me exactly what time you did that.

Thanks.

• Like 1

It is related to your proxy as the app is getting a 308 (permanent redirect) response to the attempt to connect.  I guess the network layer in the app cannot automatically respond to that.

Does the standard app sideloaded on the same device connect properly?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Trevor68

Interesting, I did not realise that would work on a GCwGTV or android TV? If so why is there 2 apps?

Anyhow I'll give it a go tonight, about 4 hours from this post. 

• Thanks 1

Trevor68

Nice, I installed it on the GCwGTV and it works fine. I guess I'll just use it in the future? 

1 hour ago, Trevor68 said:

Nice, I installed it on the GCwGTV and it works fine. I guess I'll just use it in the future? 

HI, yes you can do that. It fully supports TV devices.

Trevor68

Ok, so why is there a TV client as well? Will it be updated to work with reverse proxy, or no need? 

Trevor68

The only diff I have spotted so far is that back no longer pops up the exit emby dialogue, instead you get a very long menu, and have to scroll down to exit

Trevor68

Sadly this too turned out not to be the answer, while login and viewing is fine, playback using the android client was horrendous, even using my normal (non-proxy) Emby Server. 

7 out of ten times just a grey screen, and then when it did work terrible flickering. 

I have gone back to the beta androidTV client now, with my "normal" Emby server for the time being. I am unsure what the answer might be for truenas scale. 

I did have a look at the "Official" emby app, but it was very barebones with nowhere to input Ingress or Extra Storage options so I was a bit unsure how to use it. Also I'm pretty well locked into the truecharts ecosystem now as my router forwards 443 and 80 to truenas for the reverse proxy. Having a wildcard is just too easy, so all my apps are on here now, things like vaultwarden, photoprism, calibre companion etc etc. 

It would be nice to see the Android client updated to just work like the web client does, but I understand my use case is prob a fairly slim one. 

Or maybe the server just needs a checkbox to tell it that it is behind a proxy? I'm just spitballing now though. 

I can add extra arguments to both Traefik and Emby on startup if needed, but you would need to tell me what to add. 

Can we please look at an example of what isn't playing well with it? Thanks 

Trevor68

Sure, what is the easiest way, would you like a login, or should I just add a file to onedrive and pm you a link?

TBH it was a complete shitshow and I couldn't really get much at all to play, hence why I've given up on the whole idea. 

I still have three servers running and the app files on the GCwGTV so it wouldn't take long to do some more testing, just let me know what you need. 

BTW the grey screens were on any normal 1080p HEVC tv series, the flickering, which I have never seen before was on 4K HEVC HDR10 movies. 

Edited by Trevor68

On 7/6/2022 at 5:32 PM, Trevor68 said:

Sure, what is the easiest way, would you like a login, or should I just add a file to onedrive and pm you a link?

TBH it was a complete shitshow and I couldn't really get much at all to play, hence why I've given up on the whole idea. 

I still have three servers running and the app files on the GCwGTV so it wouldn't take long to do some more testing, just let me know what you need. 

BTW the grey screens were on any normal 1080p HEVC tv series, the flickering, which I have never seen before was on 4K HEVC HDR10 movies. 

Well that's very odd. Can you please install this version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

And then provide a log from the android app:

Thanks.

Trevor68

I'm pretty sure that's the version I have? At least it is named exactly the same. 

3 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

I'm pretty sure that's the version I have? At least it is named exactly the same. 

Right but this build will write a log file that will help tell us what's going on.

Trevor68

The experience was much the same, tried the truenas server first, 1080p hevc file, slit second of grey, but then it did actually play, hdr10 movie, no play. 

Swapped to normal server, same tv ep played perfectly, still no play of the HDR10 movie. 

Now when I install the latest AndroidTV Beta, that same movie will play perfectly from my normal server. 

So no, not really a fan of using Android on my devices, given it doesn't actually work. 

a7432981-b7c4-4746-933d-462ff050f018[1].log

Trevor68

So I added a GTX1650 to my Truenas Scale box today, and it is transcoding my 4k HEVC files like a champ. This now makes me even sadder that I can't actually use this server for my TV. 

Works great in the web client though. 

Trevor68

So just wanted to check is their a plan to allow the android client play over reverse proxy? like the web client does?

Otherwise I will seek a more permanent replacement for Emby I guess. 

Trevor68

Any chance we could also get it to survive Emby Server being behind a reverse proxy, same as the web client does? 

• Confused 1

Trevor68

Mmm, so your saying it is just me that no android client can playback from then? If so that is fine, I supplied logs but when no one replied I figured it was not something anyone cared about? 

EBR said it was related to the proxy. 

It is related to your proxy as the app is getting a 308 (permanent redirect) response to the attempt to connect.  I guess the network layer in the app cannot automatically respond to that.

Does the standard app sideloaded on the same device connect properly?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

TBH I fail to see how this is related to my setup given the web client works fine. If the web client can playback without requiring ports, why can't the android client do the same? 

That still leaves me finding an alternative method I guess. 😞

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

well I was having a marvellous conversation with myself in the other thread, enough so to make me wonder why I bothered paying for Emby in the first place. 

If your confirming that apps cannot follow redirects and there is no plan to make them do so, then I will need to part ways at this point. it's a shame, as I have enjoyed this software for many years now. 

Trevor68

@ebr

How would you like me to reconfigure the proxy, as I can see no such suggestion in this thread. The last suggestion was to install a special logging app by @Luke

Which I have done and supplied the log.