Cannot login nor playback

Trevor68

Trevor68

Cloudflare is only my DNS provider, I use traefik for reverse proxy using a wildcard SSL cert, as previously mentioned. Also have you actually read that thread? 

** UPDATE:  I AM HEARING OF EMBY USERS GETTING VIDEO FILES BLOCKED WHEN USING CLOUDFLARE (FREE TIER).  IF THIS IS THE CASE, I NO LONGER RECOMMEND USING CLOUDFLARE.  

my setup is this. 

07 - Adding Lets-Encrypt Certificates | TrueCharts

09 - Exposing Apps using Ingress and Traefik | TrueCharts

So basically unless your going to update the android apps to behave the same as the web app, then I, and any other truecharts users are screwed. 

As mentioned before, I can add arguments to the setup, but I would need to know what to add??? 

Also realistically, once I tell the server I am using a reverse proxy, why does it even keep mentioning ports? all of my https traffic is directed to my truenas box by my router. Or does that switch literally just stop it looking for a local cert? 

Edited by Trevor68

pir8radio
16 hours ago, Trevor68 said:

Cloudflare is only my DNS provider, I use traefik for reverse proxy using a wildcard SSL cert, as previously mentioned. Also have you actually read that thread? 

** UPDATE:  I AM HEARING OF EMBY USERS GETTING VIDEO FILES BLOCKED WHEN USING CLOUDFLARE (FREE TIER).  IF THIS IS THE CASE, I NO LONGER RECOMMEND USING CLOUDFLARE.  

my setup is this. 

07 - Adding Lets-Encrypt Certificates | TrueCharts

09 - Exposing Apps using Ingress and Traefik | TrueCharts

So basically unless your going to update the android apps to behave the same as the web app, then I, and any other truecharts users are screwed. 

As mentioned before, I can add arguments to the setup, but I would need to know what to add??? 

Also realistically, once I tell the server I am using a reverse proxy, why does it even keep mentioning ports? all of my https traffic is directed to my truenas box by my router. Or does that switch literally just stop it looking for a local cert? 

cloudflare can quit at any time thats why i put that warning in there, but if i read the thread correctly, your main issue is that the hardware apps don't follow redirects?    that's not an emby issue the app os doesn't allow this. usually fire tv, android tv, roku I think all do not, never have..    

Edited by pir8radio

Trevor68

Thank you for the definitive answer, that is all I needed to know, as in it will never work. 

• Like 1

Trevor68

Ok thanks to some tips from @Luke regarding traefik I have made some small progress today. I enabled "Accept Forwarded headers" in traefik. 

This now means that both the web client AND Emby for Android 3.2.5.6 on my Samsung phone work superbly. Absolutely faultlessly in fact. 

So maybe this is a hardware issue with the GCwGTV perhaps??? As on it Android TV Emby still cannot see or login to the server. 

Emby for Android also cannot see it, but once manually added can login, but playback is still super sketchy. 

At this point the last thing I can test here is a Amazon Firestick, once I find it, but I'm at a loss as to why my phone works. You guys just got through telling me the redirects won't work in Android, yet they clearly are, at least on one device. 

Trevor68

truecharts do not allow editing of the config.yml manually, so unless someone can tell the difference between a phone and a chromecast I guess this remains a mystery. 

Of note is that I am not alone with getting sketchy playback on the chromecast using the android client. 

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

No, I did some further testing with my Android TV, it has all the same problems. My thought now is that everything that doesn't work is based on Android 10. 

The only thing that works happily is my phone, which is samsung but Android 12. I think it is going to be a device problem, especially as I saw the other thread regarding a GCwGTV behaving similarly. 

I think we wait for google to update the chromecasts to Android 11, if they ever do. 

Trevor68

The same as the other gentleman, unusable. I understand you want this app to replace Android TV eventually, but for that to happen it would need to actually function, and it does not, at least on Android 10, which is most of the clients really, as in Android TV, Amazon Firestick and CCwGTV. 

I cannot believe you guys do not have any of these clients to test it on? How are you building and releasing without testing? It would take literally 2 minutes to realise just how bad it is. 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, Trevor68 said:

The same as the other gentleman, unusable. I understand you want this app to replace Android TV eventually, but for that to happen it would need to actually function, and it does not, at least on Android 10, which is most of the clients really, as in Android TV, Amazon Firestick and CCwGTV. 

I cannot believe you guys do not have any of these clients to test it on? How are you building and releasing without testing? It would take literally 2 minutes to realise just how bad it is. 

Why exactly do you think it's not usable?

Trevor68

Because it literally doesn't work? Lots of just Gray screens, then it might be play, but then if you pause it's all over and you need to reboot.

It is literally that bad that I cannot understand how you think it does work???

6 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Because it literally doesn't work? Lots of just Gray screens, then it might be play, but then if you pause it's all over and you need to reboot.

It is literally that bad that I cannot understand how you think it does work???

Can you please describe a specific example? Thanks !

pir8radio
On 7/25/2022 at 8:29 PM, Trevor68 said:

they have devices and test on them. not sure why that point wasn't addressed..    I'm sure he thinks there is something specific to your setup different from their test setups and he is trying to pinpoint what that is so its fixed for others like you.    🙂 

Trevor68

I have supplied logs every single time I have been asked for them, and no I'm not the only person who thinks it is completely unworkable, please see the thread about 7.1 sound . TBH, I'm flabbergasted that it works for anyone, as absolutely NOTHING plays here, at all. Every time I waste 5 mins loading it, I have to immediately revert to the android tv client, as it just doesn't play it anything.

For reference my setup includes my 3 diff servers 2 Android TV's s, 2 CGwGTV and one Fire stick. I have tested your Android client on all of them now, and it does not work on any, hence my complete surprise that only 2 people are telling you this.

For reference 99 % of my files are simply 1080p HEVC H265 and in every instance the moment I revert to the android tv client everything is perfect again. 

If be pretty surprised if it is my setup but sure let's go there again, what do you want tested this time?

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

Just for fun I just sideloaded 3.2.58 onto a chromecast again. To my surpise it did actually play some 1080p content this time, albeit slow to respond and a few double presses required, so still not tempting to use daily. Emboldened by this I once again tried a 4K HEVC HDR Movie, but alas no, complete and total failure to even attempt playing it. 

Reload Emby for Android TV, same movie works fine. 

Interestingly, there I do actually have one place where the android client works perfectly, and that is on my only android 12 device, a samsung Z Fold 3, there it works perfectly, and absolutely as well as the Android TV client does on my Android 10 clients. 

Edited by Trevor68

10 hours ago, Trevor68 said:

I have tested your Android client on all of them now

Exactly which APK did you install on each device?  Perhaps some of them are getting the wrong architecture...

Trevor68

I keep sideloading exactly what I am told to every time. I have been an emby user since MB2 days, and work in IT, so it is unclear why the assumption is always that it is my setup, or that I'm "doing it wrong". 

Anyhow the last one simply came from the download page. 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/raw/master/android/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk

I have now noted 2 other users saying the lag makes this app unusable. 

Edited by Trevor68

Emboldened by this I once again tried a 4K HEVC HDR Movie, but alas no, complete and total failure to even attempt playing it. 

What exactly happened? 

Trevor68

absolutely nothing. I clicked play, a circle spun for a split second, and that was that, I'm still looking at the movie screen. 

Also normal 1080p playback is laggy as hell too, requires multiple attempts to start a show, then usually if it does start, it cannot be stopped. 

my usual server is an I5 NUC, I now have a server on my Gaming rig for 4K playback using the RX6700XT, and of course there is the test server on my truenas scale box as well. 

I have tested your app against all 3, on both my GCwGTV units, my firestick, and one of my android TV's. The result does not vary, ever. 

TBH I'm beginning to forget quite why I paid for this software, as I'm pretty much just using Kodi now because of this, and finding it not only does everything I need, but also a lot more. All on the exact same hardware. 

Edited by Trevor68