Emby Server 4.7.2 - Ubuntu 22.04 - VPN - Problem Reading Metadata/EPG

martinix
Go to solution Solved by martinix,

martinix

Hi - I'm experiencing an unusual problem associated with reading Metadata updates. I'm running Emby Server with a PPTP/VPN server and NGINX reverse proxy server. In general Emby works as expected (remote connections to the server and streaming are all possible) but for some reason, when connected to the VPN Metadata updates (and I think EPG updates) cannot be read. I've tested this and the problem is repeatable. When the server is connected to the internet via the VPN connection Metadata updates and searches cannot be read, when connected to the local ISP internet provision then Metadata updates can be read. I've attached the error log which may give some indication as to the source of the problem. I'm confident it isn't a Firewall problem and I've checked routing for both Ports 8096 and 8920. I'm fairly confident the problem is something to do with the interaction between the NGINX server and the VPN connection. I'd welcome any suggestions from folk as to how I might fix this problem . Thank you.

embyserver(3).txt

Hi, yes outgoing metadata requests are failing due to the VPN intercepting them. Looks like you might need to configure the VPN or disable it, no?

martinix

Sadly, I have to use a VPN with a static IP because my ISP blocks all incoming connections and due to my remote location, I'm unable to access another provider.

The strange thing is that everything works apart from Metadata requests and some EPG data. The only thing I note is that on the Emby Server Dashboard, is that it shows my 'local' ISP provider WAN address rather than the VPN Static IP WAN address. I wondered if this discrepancy might be relevant? I'm not sure why the Emby Server should detect my 'local' ISP address rather than the VPN WAN IP address.

I can live with limitation but it would be good to find a fix if possible.

martinix

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the clue above. Yes, I can confirm that the problem I'm experiencing is due to the PPTP VPN connection running on my server. For some reason it is blocking outgoing connections but allows incoming connections. Strange. I've got the firewall disabled but it still blocks outgoing requests. I guess it must be something to do with the PPTP configuration.

If I find a fix, I'll post a note here in case anyone else stumbles across this problem.

The only thing I note is that on the Emby Server Dashboard, is that it shows my 'local' ISP provider WAN address rather than the VPN Static IP WAN address. I wondered if this discrepancy might be relevant? 

No. This might affect incoming connections to your Emby Server from Emby apps because they're going to try to use the one displayed there, but it won't have any impact on outgoing requests to metadata providers.

If I find a fix, I'll post a note here in case anyone else stumbles across this problem.

That would be great. Let us know what you find. Also just be aware, if you're going to try and configure the VPN for bypassing, you may run into issues if the VPN bypass feature doesn't support what's mentioned here:

https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/47267#issuecomment-764624449

Q-Droid
17 hours ago, martinix said:

The strange thing is that everything works apart from Metadata requests and some EPG data. The only thing I note is that on the Emby Server Dashboard, is that it shows my 'local' ISP provider WAN address rather than the VPN Static IP WAN address. I wondered if this discrepancy might be relevant? I'm not sure why the Emby Server should detect my 'local' ISP address rather than the VPN WAN IP address.

I can live with limitation but it would be good to find a fix if possible.

Emby is likely using the first default gateway available and might be due to startup order. Have you tried starting or restarting Emby after the VPN is running?

• Solution
martinix

Hi - Many thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I chased down the problem. It was the nameserver address for the VPN connection. For some strange reason, when connecting to PPTP it was setting a random nameserver address. As such while incoming connections to the Emby Server were working ok. Outgoing connections from the server were failing. I think the problem might be something to do with an interaction between Ubuntu Server 22.04 and the Netplan service.

Anyone encountering a similar problem when connecting to a VPN might wish to try pinging an outgoing address from the server to check that outgoing connections are working ok.

• Thanks 1