Jump to content

[ATV] Heavily distorted sound when playback DTS HD audio


daedalus
 Share

Recommended Posts

daedalus

Device: TCL C725 Android 11

Appversion: 2.0.70g

Serverversion: 4.6.7.0

 

when playback files with DTS HD audio streams sound is very distorted, including some visible video stutters

stats for nerds shows direct playback, but i get no "dts notification" on the tv

dts files, direct playback too, play undistorted but there is also no "dts notification"

audio playback setting in emby is set to 'auto'

forcing software downmix (very low sound on multichannel files) / "fix playback function (what directly transcodes also the video)" for sure "solves" the problem, but then there clearly isn't anymore a dts hd stream to send to the tv decoder

 

via the internal player, files playback normal and undistorted and the "dts notification" is shown there

 

no problems on dolby tracks, "dolby atmos notification" is correctly shown if present

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, daedalus said:

learly isn't anymore a dts hd stream to send to the tv decoder

Is the TV hooked up to a surround system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

daedalus
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Is the TV hooked up to a surround system?

there is one attachend over 3,5 jack, just 2.1, but its all the same if it's disconnected and just the tv itself

 

Edited by daedalus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, then you should set the audio option in the settings in the app to "Mix down to stereo".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

daedalus

why? this does not solve the problem that emby for some reason is not handling dts(hd) streams correctly over to the tv (decoder)

as said the files play fine on internal player including the correct detection of a dts stream (notification is shown)

 

and just as a side note, "Mix down to stereo" function is still inferior to then tv inbuilt one, it has low sound for multicahnnel streams and i have the feeling it is a bit muffeled, so having it on all the time is no option and its very inconvinient to check the stream type before and then switch back and forth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, daedalus said:

why? this does not solve the problem that emby for some reason is not handling dts(hd) streams correctly over to the tv (decoder)

as said the files play fine on internal player including the correct detection of a dts stream (notification is shown)

 

and just as a side note, "Mix down to stereo" function is still inferior to then tv inbuilt one, it has low sound for multicahnnel streams and i have the feeling it is a bit muffeled, so having it on all the time is no option and its very inconvinient to check the stream type before and then switch back and forth

That option was selected automatically for you in previous versions of the app so this is how it has always worked on stereo systems.

It is possible that changing some settings on the TV would improve the use of the bitstreamed audio as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

daedalus

that setting in emby and the general settings of the tv has nothing to do with this issue, not if i would have flipped em all

 

the internal player is working correctly, it's just emby that is not working correctly with one single audio format

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
daedalus

ok, so this can be considered another wontfix thing here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

daedalus
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !

exactly the same behavior on dts / dts hd files

and additionally precise navigation with the tv remote is impossible, arrow keys get registered multiple times (randomly 3 or 4 times)

some HDR/DV files start its playback "behind" the UI with no notification from the tv that these formats are played

atmos audio gets correctly handled over to the TV decoder and shows the notification

Edited by daedalus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
daedalus
Posted (edited)

ok the here the well known silence from the devs has kicked in

Edited by daedalus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
Posted (edited)

No, I can't.  DTS-HD sounds good on my setup.  My soundbar displays correctly when using DTS-X just fine.  My soundbar isn't designed to display anything when using other formats of DTS-HD, but they don't sound distorted when played.  As far as I can tell they are good also.  My soundbar also displays when using Atmos which appears to be working also using both Android apps.

The only issue I have with DTS-HD is with stereo after skipping which causes the whole video to stutter using both apps.  However, it sounds good if I don't skip.  Probably not related and I've opened up a conversation about it elsewhere.

Setup tried:

  • Shield 2019 pro
  • Server 4.7.0.36
  • Client ATV 2.0.70 and standard Android 3.2.47

Codecs tried. DTS-X, DTS-HD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1, DTS-HD 5.1-ES, and DTS-HD 2.0

Shield -> HDMI -> Soundbar -> ARC -> Samsung TV

Edited by FrostByte
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spaceboy

another issue with DTS audio on android tv...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rbjtech
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

No, I can't.  DTS-HD sounds good on my setup.  My soundbar displays correctly when using DTS-X just fine.  My soundbar isn't designed to display anything when using other formats of DTS-HD, but they don't sound distorted when played.  As far as I can tell they are good also.  My soundbar also displays when using Atmos which appears to be working also using both Android apps.

The only issue I have with DTS-HD is with stereo after skipping which causes the whole video to stutter using both apps.  However, it sounds good if I don't skip.  Probably not related and I've opened up a conversation about it elsewhere.

Setup tried:

  • Shield 2019 pro
  • Server 4.7.0.36
  • Client ATV 2.0.70 and standard Android 3.2.47

Codecs tried. DTS-X, DTS-HD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1, DTS-HD 5.1-ES, and DTS-HD 2.0

Shield -> HDMI -> Soundbar -> ARC -> Samsung TV

I got around to testing this.

I don't have any issues using DTS-HD 2.0 after skipping the video - it plays back normally.  The AVR confirms it's two channel as I can see the mapping.

I'm on Shield 2019 Pro SE8, Emby Server 4.7.0.34, Client ATV 2.0.70g (via DFA).

1549284123_20220502_133016(Small).jpg.e3d31a36988f01963100e9f1676d4e2d.jpg

779977500_20220502_133021(Small).jpg.9b88258ad3d14bda624e3c81aef2f3a2.jpg

293237743_20220502_133011(Small).jpg.7f1e71cde46f4157572a5088db848774.jpg

 

 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte

@daedaluswhat happens if you disable DTS-HD in the Shield settings (or ATV settings probably will do the same).  If I do that then my issue goes away, and I have no more stuttering.  I assume it's using the DTS core at the time and everything says it's direct playing with no transcode logs.  Will your TCL still trigger DTS when using the core?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I got around to testing this.

I don't have any issues using DTS-HD 2.0 after skipping the video - it plays back normally.  The AVR confirms it's two channel as I can see the mapping.

I'm on Shield 2019 Pro SE8, Emby Server 4.7.0.34, Client ATV 2.0.70g (via DFS).

Okay, it's possible my DTS-HD issue is with SE9 or the lack of DFA and the way Emby is streaming it.  I always used DFA when I was one SE8.  I need to just bite the bullet and fallback 😬

Also, like I mentioned in the other thread.  It's not all DTS-HD 2.0, just all 6 seasons of Downton Abbey that I've noticed so far.  I've got DTS-HD 2.0 movies which work fine.  So it could be a different flavor of DTS-HD 2.0 also.

Edited by FrostByte
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Also, like I mentioned in the other thread.  It's not all DTS-HD 2.0, just all 6 seasons of Downton Abbey

Ah ok - I thought it was all - I don't have Downton Abbey to try I'm afraid.  I'd be happy to try if you can PM me a link to a single episode ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah ok - I thought it was all - I don't have Downton Abbey to try I'm afraid.  I'd be happy to try if you can PM me a link to a single episode ?

PM sent.  BTW I gave @Spaceboythe link also and he says it stutters for him also just like everything else he plays with DTS-HD.  Though he doesn't have to FF to make it stutter.

Edited by FrostByte
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte

@rbjtechOh, and another thing I can use MX player with it just fine.

@daedalushave you tried using MX player as an external player with ATV?  I can play DTS-HD doing that also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you please send an app log from both of those situations (with DTSHD enabled and stuttering and then with disabled and not)?

Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rbjtech
Posted (edited)

So I have no issues playing the DTS-HD 2.0 file via DFA or HTTP.. 🤔

edit - so the only difference I can think of is :-

a) SE8 vs SE9

b) ARC vs Direct(mine is Shield>AVR) - does it also stutter if you playback direct from Shield>TV and remove ARC out the equation ?)

c) Is your TV set to Sync with the media Frame Rate in SFN - as this is a 1080i/25 source - Mine sync's to 1080/50

Edited by rbjtech
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
18 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you please send an app log from both of those situations (with DTSHD enabled and stuttering and then with disabled and not)?

Thanks.

Ok, I just sent two logs user Rick

First, with DTS-HD enabled.  Playback was fine until I skipped forward.  Then stuttered until I stopped.

Second, with DTS-HD turned off in ATV settings.  I must have clicked FF 5 times using both remote and OSD and playback was good.  SFN says it was direct playing and I assume it was using DTS core?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, when you have DTS-HD enabled, Exo is using the Shield's built-in codec for the audio.  When you disable it, we route through ffmpeg.

So the problem is somewhere in the Shield's codec implementation or Exo's.

This is the error spit out as the stuttering is occurring:

05-02 09:29:40.974 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 315587, 228116224561, 228116224956, 89485060062, 480256, 479744
05-02 09:29:41.478 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 339745, 228116727843, 228116728264, 89485563354, 480256, 479744
05-02 09:29:41.980 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 363854, 228117230128, 228117230679, 89486065625, 510976, 510464
05-02 09:29:42.481 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 387925, 228117731603, 228117731965, 89486567104, 541696, 541184
05-02 09:29:42.986 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 412125, 228118235772, 228118236161, 89487071270, 573440, 572928
05-02 09:29:43.488 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 436233, 228118729875, 228118738810, 89487573520, 573440, 572928
05-02 09:29:43.997 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 460689, 228119247527, 228119247950, 89488083020, 604672, 604160
05-02 09:29:44.505 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 485072, 228119755508, 228119755864, 89488591000, 635392, 634880
05-02 09:29:45.012 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 509393, 228120262196, 228120262570, 89489097687, 667136, 666624
05-02 09:29:45.521 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 533830, 228120771290, 228120771769, 89489606791, 698368, 697856
05-02 09:29:46.028 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 557805, 228121268497, 228121278346, 89490106270, 698368, 697856
05-02 09:29:46.534 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 582410, 228121783371, 228121784671, 89490618875, 729600, 729088

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, when you have DTS-HD enabled, Exo is using the Shield's built-in codec for the audio.  When you disable it, we route through ffmpeg.

So the problem is somewhere in the Shield's codec implementation or Exo's.

This is the error spit out as the stuttering is occurring:

05-02 09:29:40.974 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 315587, 228116224561, 228116224956, 89485060062, 480256, 479744
05-02 09:29:41.478 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 339745, 228116727843, 228116728264, 89485563354, 480256, 479744
05-02 09:29:41.980 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 363854, 228117230128, 228117230679, 89486065625, 510976, 510464
05-02 09:29:42.481 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 387925, 228117731603, 228117731965, 89486567104, 541696, 541184
05-02 09:29:42.986 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 412125, 228118235772, 228118236161, 89487071270, 573440, 572928
05-02 09:29:43.488 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 436233, 228118729875, 228118738810, 89487573520, 573440, 572928
05-02 09:29:43.997 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 460689, 228119247527, 228119247950, 89488083020, 604672, 604160
05-02 09:29:44.505 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 485072, 228119755508, 228119755864, 89488591000, 635392, 634880
05-02 09:29:45.012 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 509393, 228120262196, 228120262570, 89489097687, 667136, 666624
05-02 09:29:45.521 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 533830, 228120771290, 228120771769, 89489606791, 698368, 697856
05-02 09:29:46.028 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 557805, 228121268497, 228121278346, 89490106270, 698368, 697856
05-02 09:29:46.534 13193  3189 W DefaultAudioSink: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 582410, 228121783371, 228121784671, 89490618875, 729600, 729088

 

When I use MX player as an external player it FF with no problem.  Would that point toward Exo vs the Shield?  Or, wouldn't you be able to tell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...